PDA

View Full Version : Build Help on 3.5 Bard hybrid

flurryofDQ
2020-10-30, 12:45 AM
Hello everyone!

This is my first 3.5 campaign.
TL/DR I'm playing Bard into Fochlucan lyrist. Don't need to use druidic. Looking for a divine caster class.

I'm playing a campaign that plans to go to level 20. I'm playing a level 8 half-elf bard--Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 15, wis 12, Cha 17 (ring of cha+2=19). His party role is face and buffer. We have a druid, paladin, ranger/beastmaster, barbarian, heavily optimized roguelock chameleon, and optimized cloistered cleric. I want to keep him close to a bard 20 and that sense of being a little bit of everything, with bardic knowledge, music, and spelling. I am having trouble keeping up with AC and avoiding combat.

My DM has allowed me to take the 3.0 Virtuoso AND let me cheese entry into Fochlucan lyrist (I've learned druidic because of RP and gain evasion as a feat). Fochlucan lyrist advances divine AND arcane magic, full BAB, bard skill points, bardic music, and bardic knowledge. So it's everything I want.

Here's the plan

Bard 1-8; I have swapped all of my music so far except for Inspire Courage. Inspire courage +5 [(+2)2WoC+1 Inspirational Boost], Healing Hymn, Soothing Voice, Haunting Voice, Planar Alignment resistance (our first few levels had a lot of planar jumping. Useless ever since).

9: divine caster 1. Favored Soul, Cloistered Cleric, Archivist.

10: Virtuoso 3.0--this will let me get all the bardic musics I've traded out and give me another level 3 spell slot and give me another use of bardic music.

11+12: Sublime Chord: this will unlock sorcerer spell list to 9the level spells, and 2nd level gives me song of arcane power, which lets me use a bardic music to boost caster level.

13-20: Fochlucan lyrist. Will advance divine caster and arcane caster. Divine caster 9

Feats so far:
1: nymph's kiss
3: versatile performer (role play purposes)
4: ASI int to qualify for Words of Creation
6: Words of Creation
8: ASI cha

for ASI, I'm planning to boost Cha all the way up.

For the level 9 (leveling up in the next few days), here are my three options:

1) if I take a level of Cloistered Cleric, I will take knowledge devotion, air devotion, and time domain (improved initiative). The air devotion fits for role play purposes (DM said he was a wyndsynger, which is an elven bloodline in her campaign) and gives me swift action AC bonus, powered by turn undead, which I get from Cha. Time domain gives improved initiative, useful on a bard. But, I only have wisdom 12, so I will only ever be able to use level 2 cleric spells. DM said Lore can stack with Bardic Knowledge.

2) Favored Soul is Cha based, wis save, spontaneous cast, it will top out with 4th level cleric spells at level 20. no turn, no domains, but cleric spell list has some good spells at every level.

3) Archivist is Int based, which is good, and will eventually allow 5th level, and has a party buff feature "dark knowledge." Role play wise, he's not much of an archivist and also finding the divine spells seems like a pain in the butt.

4) apostle of peace and Ur-priest do not match him. I _could_ do divine crusader (charisma caster!), but to qualify for the BAB 7, my build would have to change a bit.
1-8 Bard
9 Warblade 1
10 divine crusader (allowed to change entry tax. Feat could be air bloodline or something similarly thematic instead of weapon focus)
11 Sublime chord 1
12 sublime chord 2 OR Virtuoso 1
13-20 Fochlucan lyrist.
With divine crusader, I'd be able to cast 1 spell/level; level 8 spells at 20, level 9 with bonus spell from cloak of charisma.

I know this is far from optimized, even given all the amazing freebies the DM has given me. Suggestions? Which one would you go with?

Rebel7284
2020-10-30, 02:27 AM
I would go the Divine Crusader route especially if you have flexibility as far as what domain you can chose. You already have bard spells for utility and probably UMD. Getting access to more higher level spells would be awesome. In addition, the Warblade dip at 9 is super helpful since that's the perfect level to pick up 3rd level maneuvers. White Raven Tactics and possibly Iron Hear Surge (depending on how your DM thinks that one works) are very powerful on any character as is Mind Over Body.

Some domain ideas:
Transformation
Luck
Summoner
Thirst (don't actually take this, but t3h lolz)
Travel

flurryofDQ
2020-10-30, 03:02 AM
I would go the Divine Crusader route especially if you have flexibility as far as what domain you can chose. You already have bard spells for utility and probably UMD. Getting access to more higher level spells would be awesome. In addition, the Warblade dip at 9 is super helpful since that's the perfect level to pick up 3rd level maneuvers. White Raven Tactics and possibly Iron Hear Surge (depending on how your DM thinks that one works) are very powerful on any character as is Mind Over Body.

Some domain ideas:
Transformation
Luck
Summoner
Travel

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that is really appealing. I'm playing an unarmed Sword Sage in my other campaign, and I have been coveting IHS and WRT. And domains that are really fitting are Travel or Destiny, both of which are really attractive.

If I go this route, I don't have space for Virtuoso yet in 9 or 10, what do you think for the back 10? This is the 3.0 version, so it's +1 spellcaster level (could advance SC at 12 or 13), and 1 level gives me ALL the standard bardic music effects if I have performance ranks.

11 SC (duh)
12 SC 2 (song of arcane power) --and is there a way to use Song of Arcane power to enhance caster level of divine magic? through alternate spell
13-20 Fochlucan lyrist (20 gets me Divine Crusader 9)
would you do Virtuoso(3.0 version) 1? if so, would you do that instead of SC2, or instead of a level of fochlucan lyrist at 13? If I do it instead of FL, I will lose 9th level divine spells.

flurryofDQ
2020-10-30, 03:09 AM

Some domain ideas:
Transformation
Luck
Summoner
Travel

Also! Thirst domain! FUN! If I get a chance, I want to make a Pervorian cleric with lust and thirst domain.

Rebel7284
2020-10-30, 08:50 AM
I would skip virtuoso.

What do you need the other songs for anyway?
- Suggestion: It's a second level Bard spell. If you really want the effect just take the spell
- Inspire Greatness is a pretty unique effect, but unless you optimize for it, it's just a mediocre buff.
- Song of freedom is nifty, but since it takes a minute, it's just an out of combat utility that can be replicated with a Scroll of the spell when you need it. If you do go for Luck domain because Miracle is SUCH a good capstone, you also get Break Enchantment out of your wazoo anyway.
- Inspire Heroics: another mediocre buff
- Mass Suggestion: it's an enchantment, mind affecting, language dependent effect that comes online at level 18? I mean it's flavorful, but you have 9th level spells next level. Maybe in two classes if you skip SC2 too.