PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Divine Avenger: All Weapon Rogue with Godly Support.

sandmote
2020-10-30, 05:13 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/hc55x-kyUB-l).

This is based on the 4e class, the avenger, which has the same role as the ranger rogue except it is divine. And gets advantage instead of actual damage bonuses.

Combat Faith
As part of your preparations for taking this subclass, at 3rd level you gain proficiency with martial weapons and the religion skill. Secret holy training allows you to apply your sneak attack with any weapon.

Additionally, the divine powers invested in you grant you protection from harm. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Grants you an avenger's weapon list, and a less breakable version of their AC bonus.

Declaration of Enmity
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you can declare a creature an enemy of your cause. As a bonus action, you can invoke your wrath and opposition against a creature that can hear you within 60 feet. You do not need to share a language with the target of your declaration of enmity.

You have advantage on opposed skill checks between yourself and the target of your oath of enmity, and you can choose to deal radiant damage using your sneak attack rather than the damage of the weapon's type. These effects last until the creature becomes unconscious, dies, or you finish a short or long rest.

You can have only one creature under the effects of your declaration of enmity at a time. If you attempt to use your declaration of enmity while a creature is under its effects the attempt fails and your action is wasted.

I'm not calling it an oath, thanks. I'm a bit worried the wording between this a Divine Judgement is unclear.

Divine Judgement
Beginning at 3rd level, you learn to channel your invested powers at a creature of your choice. Immediately after you use your Cunning Action, you can make a ranged spell attack against a creature within 30 feet of you, expending your Sneak Attack the turn. You are proficient with it, and you add your Dexterity modifier to its attack and damage rolls. A creature hit by this attack takes radiant damage equal to your Sneak Attack damage. Once you have used your divine judgement, you cannot use it again until the start of your next turn.

When you do not have disadvantage on a weapon attack roll and hit the target of your declaration of enmity with a weapon attack, you can choose to deal your Divine Judgement damage on the attack roll. This expends your divine judgement.

Since this does not grant sneak attack with any weapon, I figured it should have some combat bonus that can be applied to any enemy. therefore; scaling radiant damage. And as a buff against a single target, it does sort-of grant sneak attack applying to any weapon against your primary target.

Flexible Enmity
By 9th level, you are able to refocus your enmity against a more appropriate target. As a bonus action, you can switch your declaration of enmity to a different target. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until your declaration of enmity ends against the new target.

You also gain resistance to radiant and poison damage and have advantage on saving throws against the poisoned, blinded, and deafened conditions as well as against disease.

Makes it easier t use your declaration of enmity, and packages in some generic "holy" buffs as well.

Pursuit and Retribution
At 13th level, your declarations of enmity are strong enough to grant you additional ability to trail and harm your target. You gain the following two benefits:

Pursue When the target of your declaration of enmity ends their turn outside your reach you can move up to half your speed as a reaction, ending your turn closer to the target of your declaration of enmity.

Grant Retribution When you gain the benefit of your uncanny dodge, the target of your declaration of enmity takes damage equal to your own. The target of your declaration of enmity must be within 5 feet of you for you to gain this benefit.

Combines the two censures from the 4e class (the ones in PH2). One deals damage, the other helps you keep your damage sources up. I figure neither is really strong enough to be by itself.

Unending Pursuit
At 17th level you transform into an avatar of retribution, able to keep on the heels of your enemies with ease. When you take the attack action or use your divine judgement, you can teleport up to 20 feet, to a location closer to the target of your divine judgement. At the end of a short or long rest, you can choose to maintain your declaration of enmity against the current target. As long as your target is on the same plane, you know the distance and direction they are from you.

You also gain immunity to radiant and poison damage, disease, and the blinded, deafened and poisoned conditions.

Combines the Inexorable Pursuit power with some tracking ability and buffs the benefits from 9th level.

Amechra
2020-10-30, 11:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of Divine Judgment, honestly, because it's secretly two features on an already crowded third level. Especially since it's arguably way better than the Inquisitive's Insightful Fighting - Declaration of Enmity doesn't require you to make an ability check to trigger it, you get flat advantage on every opposed roll you make against that creature, and it lets you use your Dex-based lasers on them from a greater range (don't get me started - the Sun Soul Monk should have used Wisdom, dang it!)

It's also really weird to me that your notes go "this scaling damage should be fine because I'm not giving them sneak attack with any weapon" while then proceeding to do exactly that except better.

Honestly, if you're comparing this guy's role to the Ranger... why isn't this a Ranger subclass? This doesn't feel very Rogue-ish to me.

sandmote
2020-10-31, 05:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of Divine Judgment, honestly, because it's secretly two features on an already crowded third level. Especially since it's arguably way better than the Inquisitive's Insightful Fighting - Declaration of Enmity doesn't require you to make an ability check to trigger it, you get flat advantage on every opposed roll you make against that creature, and it lets you use your Dex-based lasers on them from a greater range (don't get me started - the Sun Soul Monk should have used Wisdom, dang it!) My reasoning on balance is that you can swap out the target of your insightful fighting on any following turn, but your declaration of enmity is locked in. I suppose this would cut into the usefulness of the Inquisitve, but I mostly expect it to result in a split between ranged and melee attackers, as the dex based lasers are weaker than using a bow with sneak attack.

Although I should restrict the "apply divine judgement with an attack," to melee weapons.

It's also really weird to me that your notes go "this scaling damage should be fine because I'm not giving them sneak attack with any weapon" while then proceeding to do exactly that except better. This was actually commenting on the second part, where you can apply the damage to the target you spent a resource on.

But okay, if it isn't restricted enough I glad to know beforehand. Would stripping out the lasers and just saying "you can deal sneak attack with any weapon," and "you can choose to have your sneak attack deal radiant damage rather than the damage of a weapon' type when making a melee weapon attack against the target of your declaration of enmity," be enough for 3rd level?

Honestly, if you're comparing this guy's role to the Ranger... why isn't this a Ranger subclass? This doesn't feel very Rogue-ish to me. Whoops; was thinking of the rogue when I wrote that. All three are strikers in 4e. Three things made me use rogue instead of ranger:

The 4e Avenger is where they got the concept of using advantage in 5e, and the ranger's damage isn't really based on getting advantage.
The 4e Avenger has no connection to nature-based casting.
The 4e Avenger is based on oaths against individuals, rather than creature types, so I think converting it to a ranger subclass would be confusing. Although my 5e ranger fix does use a similar concept.

Amechra
2020-11-07, 09:38 PM
I think those changes would make the whole package pretty reasonable.