PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next We are VENOM!: Klyntar Symbiotes in D&D (PEACH)

Rater202
2020-10-30, 08:57 PM
While pondering my super soldiers, I realized that Weapon V, who used symbiotes, worked better as a class.

Then I realized it'd be easier to take different Aspects of the Symbiotes and make them different 5E subclasses than make a complete Class for them, regardless of edition.

Note: These are not 100% faithful depictions of symbiotes, as being bonded to a symbiote does so many differant things that ut would be impossible to represent it even with an entire PC class. So, I'm picking and choosing based on what works best with each class.

Also, not all of these are, strictly, bonded with Symbiotes. Most of them will be, but I've got the inklings in my mind of a Cleric Doman and a Warlock Patron that both represent the Cultists who worship Knull, God of the Symbiotes.

First Up: Fighters!

Disclaimer: I am not that experienced when it comes to 5E, so there's a distinct possibility that these won't make sense.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/e/eb/Anne_Weying_%28Earth-TRN811%29_and_Venom_%28Klyntar%29_%28Earth-TRN811%29_from_Venom_Vol_4_27_001.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20200924190806

Martial Archetype: Sym-Solider

A Shapeshifting entity composed from a form of tangible living Darkness has been merged with your body, lending you it's strength as it borrows from you your own strength and martial skill. Over time the bond between you and it strengthens, allowing you to draw out more and more of its power.

Symbiotic Armaments: At third level, when you first bond to your other, it grants to you the ability to form arms and armor from it's mass. You may conjure any single weapon, or pair of identical weapons, that you are proficient with as well as ammunition for ranged weaponry, as well as any armor you are proficient with. Alternatively, you may alter your unarmed strike to deal 1d4 damage and deal your choice of either bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing damage. If you have the Unarmed Fighting Fighting Style, you instead use that damage die. Weapons and Armor conjured by this cass feature are identical to mundane weapons armor of the type but cannot be disarmed, destroyed, or otherwise rendered inaccessible and do not count against the Sym-Soliders carry weight. Any situations where holding a weapon or being clad in armor would offer disadvantage to D20 roll fora physical action, that disadvantage is negated. With armor, it may appear as the armor of it's chosen type or skin-tight suit that couldn't possibly provide the protection that it does.

At any time, as an Action, A Sym-Soldier can change what form their Symbiotic Armaments take to any other available option.

Symbiotic Resilience: Symbiotes can only be killed by certain means and can share a portion of this resilience with their Hosts: At third level, a Sym-Solider gains resistance to poison damage and advantage on all constitution and strength-based saving throws. A sym-Soldier cannot gain a disadvantage on a death saving throw.

Inheritance: You are not the first being your Other has bonded with and you will not be the last. Every symbiote absorbs the memories and skills, the blood, and any inherent supernatural abilities of any host that it has bonded to. At tenth Level, you may choose to select an additional fighting style. Alternatively, you may select a pair of racial traits from a race or subrace that is not your own. These two traits can not include ability modifiers, but do not have to come from the same race or subrace.

Deadly Armamanets: At 15th level, the Sybioatic Armamnts you conjure are now plus one magical weapons or armor that count as being made of adamantine. Alternatively, at any time you can allow your Other to consume a weapon or suit of armor, destroying that item utterly but allowing you to conjure armor or weapons that retain i'ts mystical properties and the properties of the material it is made from. There is no limit to the number of items that can be consumed, but Sym soldier can only replicate a single armor and a single weapon(or pair of identical weapons) at a time.

Butcher of Gods: Symbiotes were created eons ago to kill the gods and their creations. What do you think they'll do to mortals? Choose a damage type from the following: Slashing, Bludgeoning, Piercing, Fire, Thunder, Acid, Necrotic, or Poison. The first attack you make in a round using a weapon created with Symbiotic Resonance deals 2d12 damage of that type in addition to it's normal damage. In the case of bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing the damage counts as magic and has any other properties of the conjured weapon. You may change this damage type after a long rest.So, any thoughts on this? Too strong? Not Strong enough?

I'm mostly concerned on the option to replicate traits from another race in lieu of taking another fighting style.

On the capstone: I know that, in the comics, most symbiotes are very vulnerable to sonics and heat, but as 1: I couldn't figure out a balanced way to replicate that weakness, I left it out, and as Carnage eventually became pyrokinetic and Scream can create Vibroweapons, I figured I could fudge it a bit and include those elements in the types that can replicate... Though mostly the capstone is based on Venom's super deadly poison bite that he rarely uses, the acid powers some symbiotes have, and the fact that Symbiotes are made of darkness and created by a God of Death, Darkness, and Madness for the sake of killing Gods so Necrotic Damage feels like it fits.

To-Do:
Barbarian who tears things apart with eldritch fang and claw,
Monk who practices Martial Art based around the use of Writhing Tentacles
Sorcerer whose bloodline is augmented by a symbiote amplifying their magic potential--especially dark magic.
Knull Worshiping Cleric or Warlock
Optionally, Artificer who forges weapons from Living Abyss.

Suggestions Welcome

Rater202
2020-11-01, 12:06 AM
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/4/4d/Web_of_Venom_Cult_of_Carnage_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/791?cb=20190124174806

Cleric Domain: Living Abyss

Living Abyss is an eldritch substance best described as the deepest and purest darkness, the very absence of life, made corporeal and brought to life. It flows, taking many shapes and left unchecked can corrupt anything caught in it's writhing grasp. The Living Abyss is born from the Shadows of powerful, Malevolent deities such as Knull, The King in Black

Living Abyss Domain Spells

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
Acid Stream, Ray of Sickness

3rd
Darkness, Web

5th
Elemental Weapon(Acid Only,) Hunger of Hadar

7th
Blight, Evards Black Tentacles

9th
Danse Macabre, Enervation

Protective Taint: At first level, a Cleric with the Living Abyss Domain is gifted a subservient organism composed entirely of the Eldritch substance that merges with the Cleric's body and protects it. The cleric may coat his of her body in the creatures mass, and as long as the cleric is so coated and the cleric is wearing no other armor, their Armor Class is 13+their dexterity modifyer.\

Chanel Divinity: Corrupting Influence At second level, a Cleric can channel the Divinity of their Deity to conjure a parasitic mass of Living Abyss that infects any single living creature or corporeal undead within thirty feet of the Cleric and acts to influence the target to the Cleric's advantage. The creature must make a constitution save to expel the parasite or be charmed, as the condition. Each round, the charmed target can make another constitution save to expel the parasite. If the subject fails its saves five times in a row, the charm effect becomes permanent.

The parasite dies and quickly shrivels to worthless dust if expelled, if the cleric is killed or incapacitated, or if a minute passes without the subject becoming permanently charmed. The death of the cleric or parasite ends the charmed condition, as does a spell to remove disease.

Tainted Soul: At sixth level, the cleric's protective parasite is enhanced by the cleric's ever-growing connection to their God. Their Armor Class increases by +2 when protected only by their Protective Taint and they gain resistance to Cold and Necrotic Damage

Corrupted Strike: A Cleric of The Living Abyss Domain can conjure weapons from their protective parasite or coat their weapons with it's mass: Once on each turn, a cleric of eighth level or higher can make an unarmed strike or weapon attack and deal an extra 1d8 damage that can either be the weapons own damage with all the properties of the weapon, or necrotic. At 14th level, this increases to 2d8.

God Is Carnage: The Bond between you, your symbiote, and the Malevolent Deity that Spawned it reaches its peak at level 17: You become a lesser Avatar of the King in Black(or whatever other deity grants this domain) and become a vessel of his Terrifying, Eldritch Power of Madness, Darkness, and Death. As an action, you can begin emanating a portion of this power as an aura: Any living creature that ends their proud within 30 feet of you, excepting creatures you choose to exclude, takes 2d6 points of Psychic damage from the oppressive presence of divine madness. Any creature that successfully attacks you and inflicts damage with a melee attack from within five feet immediately takes 1d6 points of necrotic damage.

The aura subsides after one minute, and once used this power cannot be used again until you complete a long rest.

I decided against having the Cleric be a pure Symbiote God Worshiper. Instead, you're gifted a symbiote that serves as a conduit for divine power.

Class is loosely inspired bt Dark Carnage and The Church of The New Darkness

Rater202
2020-11-02, 03:44 AM
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/0/0f/Ramon_Hernandez_%28Lasher%29_%28Earth-616%29_from_Venom_Separation_Anxiety_Vol_1_1_002.p ng/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/401?cb=20191204063707

Monastic Tradition: Way of the Writhing Tendril

An obscure tradition: In truth, oftentimes those who follow the way of the Writhing Tendril are self-taught rather than being educated in a monastery proper, but...

Something about the fit, educated, physically active individuals who know how to cultivate and channel the mystical might of their bodies plays very well with the eldritch symbiotes known as the Klyntar.

Stretching Darkness: By bonding deeply with their symbiote and comingling their ki with the symbiotes, a monk gains the ability to either extend their body members, transform them into tendrils, or producing tendrils from their bodies. At 3rd level, a Monk following the way of the Writhing Tendril can make unarmed strike attacks from 5ft away. For a ki point, they can instead make a single unarmed strike from 30ft away.

Crushing Tendrils: A Monk at level 6 can spend two ki points to gain advantage on all grapple related die rolls for 1 minute as they produce dozens of tendrils with which to grab, crush, choke, or even break the grip of others.

Deadly Tendrils: At 11th level, a Monk's tendrils become more powerful and deadly. The monk's unarmed strikes are at any time considered to be piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning, whichever is most effective for the purposes of overcoming resistance or immunity to weapon damage. Furthermore, when making a flurry of blows, the Monk can spend do an additional 2d6 damage, which can be acid, poison, or necrotic chosen when the ability is activated, to a target who has been hit by at least one of the Monk's unarmed strikes. This can be done once per round to one target.

Writhing Storm: At 17th level, a Monk following the Way of the Writing Tendril may spend 4 ki points and then jump into the air. While airborne, they may make four unarmed strike attacks, each, against every hostile target within thirty feet that they are aware of and have line of sight with. For 1 additional ki point, the Monk can apply 2d8 bonus damage that can be either acid, poison, or necrotic, to every target who the monk successfully lands at least one attack and on.This one is one I'm the iffiest on.

Pricing abilities that cost some kind of mana or ability point is not my forte, so especially if anyone is willing to offer feedback I'd appreciate some on this.

CptnCopyright!~
2020-11-03, 12:25 AM
First, I'd like to say I've always wanted to make a venom/symbiote series of subclasses, so I appreciate what you're going for here.

Stretching Darkness: By bonding deeply with their symbiote and comingling their ki with the symbiotes, a monk gains the ability to either extend their body members, transform them into tendrils, or producing tendrils from their bodies. At third level, a Monk following the way of the Writhing Tendril can make unarmed strike attacks from 5 feet away. For a ki point, they can instead make unarmed strike attacks from 30 feet away.

General Style Comments: You should use "3rd" (or Xth level) instead of "third" (or the full word version of a number). You should also say either "your unarmed strike now has a range of 10ft/gains the *reach* property/adds 5ft to their reach with unarmed strikes." Lastly, you should say "By expending a ki point/x amount ki point(s)..." This applies to sorcery points ("By expending a sorcery point/x amount sorcery point{s}...) and spell slots ("By expending a{n} Xth-level spell slot...").

Balance Comments: Giving a monk 10 feet of range with their unarmed strikes is very powerful, albiet at later levels. For now, I think changing it to "At 3rd level, you add 5ft to the reach of the unarmed strikes made when you use Flurry of Blows ." The second ability needs to change or be removed. Perhaps you can replace your Flurry of Blows with a grapple check that uses Dexterity (Acrobatics) instead of Strength (Athletics)? That's the best idea I've got.

Crushing Tendrils: At sixth level, a Monk at level 6 can spend two ki points to gain advantage on all grapple related die rolls for 1 minute as they produce dozens of tendrils with which to grab, crush, choke, or even break the grip of others.

General Style Comments: There is no need to say the level at which your feature is gained twice.

Balance Comments: I've never dealt with grapple mechanics in 5e, so I can't comment on this balance-wise.

Deadly Tendrils: At 11th level, a Monk's tendrils become more powerful and deadly. The monk's unarmed strikes are at any time considered to be piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning, whichever is most effective for the purposes of overcoming resistance to weapon damage. Furthermore, at any time as part of a flurry of blows, the Monk can spend two extra Ki Points to do an additional 2d6 damage, which can be acid, poison, or necrotic chosen when the ki points are spent, to a target who has been hit by at least one of the Monk's unarmed strikes.

General Style Comments: There is no need to italicize anything besides a spell or magic item when creating Dungeons and Dragons homebrew. Instead of "...chosen when x happens..." you should say "(your choice)," unless it is necessary to clarify that is it exclusively when x happens.

Balance Comments: The monk's unarmed strikes are already magical at this point, so there isn't any point to having a resistance overcoming thing for their unarmed strikes. If you would like, maybe it could be acid, poison or necrotic damage instead of bludgeoning, piercing or slashing. I really like this feature btw, it makes it really feel like the symbiote is a seperate entity from you but is still fighting along side you. The second part's wording if very off; it feels like you can add the 2d6 damage whenever you want. And the paladin can outdo this at 2nd level with divine smite and more resources than ki points (10 uses of Divine Smite at 11th level; 3 are 4d8, 3 are 3d8, 4 are 2d8 while the Way of the Writhing Tendril monk can only use this 2d6 feature 3 times at 11th level; 1 ki point for Flurry and 2 for Deadly Tendrils). I think that this feature needs replacing entirely. Maybe you can absorb magic weapons for 1 hour by expending 2 ki + 1 for each rarity above common (3 for rare, 4 for very rare, 5 for legendary), like how Agent Venom has guns that he absorbed. That's just one idea and i'm not sure how balanced it is.

Writhing Storm: At 17th level, a Monk following the Way of the Writing Tendril may spend eight ki points and then jump into the air. While airborne, they may make four unarmed strike attacks, each, against every hostile target within thirty feet that they are aware of and have line of sight with. For three additional ki points, the Monk can apply the effect of deadly tendrils to every target they successfully hit at least once.

General Style Comments: Again, say the number instead of the word for the number. Additionally, change "X feet" to "Xft."

Balance Comments: You were right to be iffy on this. This capstone is underwhelming and feels like like a waste of ki points. Maybe you could put the range of 30ft feature here and have it cost more than 1 ki point, probably around 3 to 5. I'm bad at pricing too.

Rater202
2020-11-03, 03:50 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting ten feet, since I explicitly said that you were making unarmed strikes from five feet away. So, you can attack from one space away instead of attacking adjacent creatures.

I'll admit that I'm not as familar with 5E as I am with 3.5 so maybe there's a terminology thing I'm not getting?

Anyway, I changed it so a ki point as an attack action lets you make one unarmed strike from 30 feet away.

On Resistance: There are monsters in the manual that have resistance against bludgeoning, against slashing, or against piercing and thus can't be easily harmed by them: My logic for that ability is that at this point that you are able to do all three with your tendrils and thus such things don't matter... Though I may update that to include immunity, as unarmed strikes by default do bludgeoning damage...

Unless there's a rule I'm missing that says that a magical weapon ignores resistance to slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing.

I've removed the ki cost to the bonus damage ability. Instead its a "one target per round"

And on the capstone... You're essentially making a full flurry of blows against every enemy you can see within thirty feet. A storm of tentacles is an iconic power of high-level symbiotes.

I've cut the price down to four ki points and a one-point surcharge to apply bonus damage.

Rater202
2020-11-05, 09:55 AM
https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/hulk_venom.jpg

Barbariian Primal Path: Path of The Symbiote

Symbiotes can feed on the negativity of their hosts and use them to heal themselves or grow stronger... Sometimes, the sheer rage contained within a primal warrior is far too tempting for a warlike symbiote...

Symbiotic Armor: The symbiotes who most commonly bond with Barbarians who follow this path tend to be experienced in bonding with warriors and know how to protect them and reinforce their constitutions. Upon taking this pah a t3rd level, a Barbarian's armor class when unarmored is 12+dex+con, rather than 10+dex+con.

Symbiotic Regeneration: Optionally, at 6th level, a Barbarian following the Path of The Symbiote can heal themselves 1d6 hit points when entering a rage. They can do this a number of times equal to 1/2 the number of times they can rage, rounded down, to a maximum of four times when their rage becomes unlimited at twentieth level. These uses refresh after a long rest.

Venomous Fists of Rage: A Barbarian of 10th level or higher and coath their weapons with, or conjure natural weapons from, their symbiote. A Barbarian can make an unarmed strike that deals 1d4 damage that can be slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing. In addition, while raging, The Barbarian's weapon or unarmed strike deals an additional 1d12 damage to the first enemy they successfully attack during a round. This damage can match the damage of the weapon(Piercing, Slashing, or Bludgeoning) or can be Poison, Acid, or Necrotic. This is first chosen when the barbarian gains this path feature and can be changed at the end of a long rest.

Bile Bloated Berserker: A Barbarian of 14th level's symbiote has repeatedly gorged itself on the inextinguishable flames of rage burning in the heart and soul of its host. While many beings might grow fat on such bountiful feasts, the Barbarian's Other has merely grown stronger. When entering a rage, the Barbarian's height and mass increase as their symbiotes constituent matter grows and its excess is dedicated to reinforcing and expanding the Barbarian's bones and musculature. The Barbarians' size increases, as the spell Enlarge, for as long as they are in a state of rage.

Rater202
2020-11-07, 01:10 AM
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/d/d9/Peter_Parker_%28Earth-616%29_from_Sensational_Spider-Man_Vol_2_35_001.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/311?cb=20111021122932

Sometimes a Symbiote cares more for stealth and espionage than direct combat. In such a case, the talents of assassins and sneak thieves make for ideal partners, and the roguish souls who accept these bonds often agree.

Roguish Archetype: Sneaky Symbiote

Inherited Memories: You are not the first partner your other has had and you won't be the last. At 3rd level, upon taking this Archetype, a Rogue gains access to a bonus proficiency which can be in thieves tools(if they don't already have it) or in any skill. The rogue applies their full proficiency bonus to this bonus proficiency. A Rogue can change this proficiency after a short rest.

Storage: Symbiotes are extra-dimensional beings who are bigger on the inside than they are on the outside. At 3rd level, your Other allows you to access some of this space. A rogue can store up to 500 pounds of objects that collectively do not take up more than 64 cubic feet of space, but no single object larger than the rogue's own head. While so stored, these objects are effectively weightless and all attempts to find them on the rogue's person suffer disadvantage. More martially minded rogues often use this ability to smuggle weapons or munitions around, while thieves often carry tools of the trade or hide their haul from a heist in plain sight. A bag of holding, Handy Haversack, or portable cannot be placed in this space, as the symbiote is not stupid and has no desire to be torn down to its component atoms by the sudden tearing of a portal to the astral plane within its body.

Wall Crawler: Be it by small claws, tiny sticky tendrils, the generation and consumption of adhesive, or more esoteric abilities, Your Other can allow you to traverse sheer surfaces and climb across vertical walls and even ceilings with ease. A 9th level Rogue following this Archetype is under the effects of a permanent, non-magic Spider Climb affect. Furthermore, the Rogue gains Advantage on strength or dexterity based checks, including saves and skill checks, to avoid falling, slipping, or being knocked around.

Symbiotic Swiftness: Your other enhances your speed, agility, and flexibility and, in a pinch, can enhance it many times over. At 13th level, a rogue can use their bonus action to gain one of the following benefits

Extra Attack:The rogue can make an additional attack against a target they have ready attacked.
Advantage: The Rogue can gain advantage on an attack roll or on any dexterity based roll that they do not already have advantage on.

Camophlage: Your symbiote covers the entire surface of your body and rapidly, in real-time, alters its pigmentation to perfectly match its surroundings from every angle. At 17th level, as bonus action, a rogue can become invisible for one minute. Once used, this ability cannot be used again until the rogue has completed a short rest.

Rater202
2020-11-09, 05:20 AM
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/c/c2/Kulan_Gath_%28Impostor%29_%28Earth-616%29_and_Venom_%28Klyntar%29_%28Earth-616%29_from_Spider-Man_Red_Sonja_Vol_1_3_001.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/675?cb=20141121001042

Sorcerous Origin: Symbiosis.

You're not like other sorcerers. There is no dragon ancestor, no spark of the divine within your soul, no gift from Ancient Giants, not touch of the elements, you were neither born nor conceived within a place of magic. You have magic in your blood, but not a catalyst to activate it.

Not until now: An ancient, eldritch being of living, slithering darkness has chosen you as its host, and it has brought with it the traits of many mystical bloodlines and the knowledge of many arcanists.

Symbiotic Magic: Your Other knows a great deal about magic. Whether you would learn a cantrip or a sorcerer spell of first level or higher, you may select those spells from the sorcerer spell list or the spell list of one other class of your choice. Once selected, this other class cannot be changed. These spells count as sorcerer spells for you, but you must otherwise follow all normal rules regarding sorcerer spell selection. These spells cannot be used to heal the living, nor can they be used to inflict radiant damage.

In addition, once per short rest, you can roll any arcana check with Advantage.

Symbiotic protection: Your symbiote is an accomplished user of arcane energy in its own right, and at this point, it is bonded to you enough to comingle it's power with your own to create a protective energy field. At ist level, as an action, you can encase yourself in a field of arcane energy, adding your charisma bonus to your armor class for one minute. Once you have done this, you cannot do it again until you have finished a short rest.

Arcane Magnification: A little known fact of symbiotes is that they both feed on and magnify all kinds of mystical and cosmic energies... Especially dark, harmful magics. Starting at 6th level, if a sorcerer casts a spell that deals damage and rolls less than the average possible result, before adding any modifiers, they can spend a sorcerer point to deal the average instead.

Mystical Enhancements: At 14th level, a sorcerer selects two damage types from the following list: Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, Poison, Necrotic, or Radiant. The Sorcerer gains resistance to both damage types as the mystical energies of the symbiote and your own synergize to compensate for flaws within it's being.

Communal Knowledge: At 18th level, your other shares with you the majority of its knowledge. Select three cantrips and two spells each of levels one through nine, which can be drawn from any class's spell lists, with the caveat that these spells cannot be capable of healing the living or inflicting radiant damage.