PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Spell Storing as a Force Multiplier

Tekren
2020-10-30, 09:36 PM
What spells could be used in a ring of spell storing to create force multipliers to a party?

Find Familiar at early levels means everyone can have advantage on attacks. Not that you would get the ring at early levels, but whatever.
Create Homunculus later on. Same as Find Familiar, but a Homunculus can actually attack.
Find Greater Steed for everybody?
Create Magen is a little obscure, but hey. One mindless construct servant for everybody.
Simulacrums for everybody?

What other spells can be cast once but provide a permanent force multiplier?

solidork
2020-10-30, 09:51 PM
Simulacrum and Create Homunculus are too high level to be used with the ring of spell storing.

An unconventional and rarely considered form of permanent advantage is information - use Ring of Spell Storing to Sending people only your non-caster party members have met, Scry on people and places they know/have been to or contact their deity with Commune.

Ex: Tomorrow my Warlock is casting Scrying into the RoSS so that our Sorcerer can scry on someone only they have met and we can teleport directly to them without error because she'll be able to see the location we're teleporting to.(You're DM might not approve of this interpretation of "a location you can see" so ymmv)

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-01, 01:14 AM
Letting your martial to concentrate on the holy weapon spell on his weapon to free your concentration.
(Also work with Spiritual Gaurdians and every other high impact concentration spell).

ff7hero
2020-11-01, 03:03 AM
No one will see it coming when my Light Cleric "casts" a (n uncounterable) Counter Spell.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-01, 03:25 AM
No one will see it coming when my Light Cleric "casts" a (n uncounterable) Counter Spell.

How's it un-counterable? It's not because of the ring.

ThorOdinson
2020-11-01, 03:43 AM
Casting spells from a magic item is equivalent to subtle spell. No components.

Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, Counterspell are all really good when cast without components.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-01, 03:53 AM
Hadn't realised that - interesting.

Letting your martial to concentrate on the holy weapon spell on his weapon to free your concentration.
(Also work with Spiritual Gaurdians and every other high impact concentration spell).

In games I've been in, this sort of thing has been the main purpose: load it up and give it to characters that don't cast spells. The ability to manage their own buffs is honey on the action economy.

We had things like Shield and Smite spells in there at lower levels for our frontline.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-01, 05:03 AM
Create Magen is also too high a level for the ring, and after looking at it, a terrible thing to pass around if you could. It's a permanent hp reduction, only removeable by Wish, it doesn't even say that it disappears when the Magen dies.

As for the topic, passing around Shields and Misty Steps is a popular use, as is movbving concentration to martials. I gave my group a ring somewhat recently, it's settled on the Paladin, who's using it to store a casting of Revivify so he doesn't feel the need to hold back a 3rd level spells and a prepared spell anymore.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-01, 05:25 AM

Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, Counterspell are all really good when cast without components.

While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.

It may only be how I read it but it looks to me that Ring of spell storing do use the spell components

Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item. The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell level, doesn't expend any of the user's spell slots, and requires no components, unless the item's description says otherwise. The spell uses its normal casting time, range, and duration, and the user of the item must concentrate if the spell requires concentration. Many items, such as potions, bypass the casting of a spell and confer the spell's effects, with their usual duration. Certain items make exceptions to these rules, changing the casting time, duration, or other parts of a spell.

ff7hero
2020-11-01, 06:24 AM
"and requires no components, unless the item's description says otherwise"

RoSS doesn't say otherwise. "As if you cast it" is for effects like concentration, range, etc.

lukethecat2003
2020-11-02, 05:46 AM
Hex/hunters mark and cure wounds is really good for a martial, at least I theorise. Just make sure your only martial isnt both an ek and MCing into warlock like me (:

conc. is useful on martials for hex and hunters mark.

Keravath
2020-11-02, 10:15 AM
How's it un-counterable? It's not because of the ring.

It IS because of the ring. When you cast a spell from a magic item the DMG specifically states that it requires "no components". It requires no V,S, or M components to cast. Counterspell requires the caster to SEE the spell being cast. Without components there is no visual indication that a spell is being cast and so it can't be counterspelled. The same rules apply to a sorcerer using Subtle metamagic to cast a spell. A spell without V,S components gives no indication that it is being cast (it is a DM call as to whether touching an arcane focus is sufficient indication that a spell requiring an M component is being cast to trigger counterspell) but other than that Subtle spells with just V,S, components can't be counterspelled because there is nothing to see.

P.S. As for a ring of spell storing ... my hexblade melee warlock took a level in sorcerer just so they could put shield and hex into a ring of spell storing they found. A level 9 warlock only has 5th level slots which means that ONE shield spell he cast into a ring of spell storing took up 5 spaces making it almost useless.

Other than that, counterspell is a good choice. Other good ones depending on class are conjure animals, spirit guardians, spirtual weapon (you could store an upcast level 5 version for emergencies), wall of force, revivify (so someone can get the cleric back up if they actually die) ... shield, absorb elements, hex/hunters mark, find familiar ... a bunch of level 1 spells that have a lot of utility.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-02, 10:20 AM
Yes, people were quick to point out the link of the chain I'd missed :).

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-02, 10:22 AM

It IS because of the ring. When you cast a spell from a magic item the DMG specifically states that it requires "no components". It requires no V,S, or M components to cast. Counterspell requires the caster to SEE the spell being cast. Without components there is no visual indication that a spell is being cast and so it can't be counterspelled. The same rules apply to a sorcerer using Subtle metamagic to cast a spell. A spell without V,S components gives no indication that it is being cast (it is a DM call as to whether touching an arcane focus is sufficient indication that a spell requiring an M component is being cast to trigger counterspell) but other than that Subtle spells with just V,S, components can't be counterspelled because there is nothing to see. Thank you for the explanation.
It appears that the V,S,M components are needed to cast the spell into the ring
The ring stores spells cast into it, holding them until the attuned wearer uses them.
For example, if my life cleric wants to cast revivify into the ring, she has to first get that 300 GP diamond, and cast the spell into it. Then, when needed, she or anyone else attuned can cast the spell from the ring.

For the OP:
This may not sound like a force multiplier, but for a while our Tempest Cleric had a Revivify and a Lesser Restoration cast into the party's ring of spell storing. The bard usually was wearing it.
Getting someone up 'right now!' with Revivify, or removing a condition 'right now!' (paralyzed, blinded, deafened, poisoned) is handy during a battle.

YMMV

Gignere
2020-11-02, 10:23 AM
You can also give the ring to your minions that will free up your valuable concentration check. Have your familiar cast haste on you, now you can concentrate on something else.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-02, 10:25 AM
You can also give the ring to your minions that will free up your valuable concentration check. Have your familiar cast haste on you, now you can concentrate on something else. Which familiars can cast a spell? All of them? As to haste, I thought it was restricted to touch spells. (Might need to re read that thought ...)

(haste does not have a range of touch)

A familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal. and ...

when you cast a spell with a range of touch,your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.

Gignere
2020-11-02, 10:27 AM
Which familiars can cast a spell? All of them? I thought it was restricted to touch spells. (Might need to re read that thought ...)

For ring of spell storing the spell is precast I believe as long as your minion attuned to its they should be able to use it.

Said anyone wearing it can cast out of it so specific beats general. As long as you can justify how it is wearing the ring it should work.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-02, 10:30 AM
For ring of spell storing the spell is precast I believe as long as your minion attuned to its they should be able to use it.

Said anyone wearing it can cast out of it so specific beats general. As long as you can justify how it is wearing the ring it should work. Hmm, that's an intriguing line of thought. Attune the ring to the familiar, and they can cast it as any non spell caster could cast if attuned to the ring. Is that right?

Hmm, if the familiar gets hit by the dragon breath, does it take the ring with it when it dies, or does the ring fall to the floor/ground?

Gignere
2020-11-02, 10:31 AM
Which familiars can cast a spell? All of them? As to haste, I thought it was restricted to touch spells. (Might need to re read that thought ...)

(haste does not have a range of touch)

and ...

I think you’re misunderstanding I am suggesting having the familiar attune and wear the ring of spell storing.

Gignere
2020-11-02, 10:32 AM
Hmm, that's an intriguing line of thought. Attune the ring to the familiar, and they can cast it as any non spell caster could cast if attuned to the ring. Is that right?

Yes that’s right.

ff7hero
2020-11-02, 10:34 PM
Hmm, that's an intriguing line of thought. Attune the ring to the familiar, and they can cast it as any non spell caster could cast if attuned to the ring. Is that right?

Hmm, if the familiar gets hit by the dragon breath, does it take the ring with it when it dies, or does the ring fall to the floor/ground?

Newest SAC I believe addresses this (it drops to the ground).

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-03, 03:41 PM
Newest SAC I believe addresses this (it drops to the ground). Thanks.
Note to self: check to see if we have latest SAC.

Mr. Wonderful
2020-11-03, 04:04 PM
In a campaign with a fairly modest level of magic items our party received a choice of Rare items at 8th level for completing a quest that began the campaign. My fighter took the Ring of Spell Storing.

Early on I had Prot Evil and Misty Step with a variety of other things for the 2 remaining spell levels.

I tried Spirit Guardians but that caused the critters to avoid getting within 15 feet. The Guardians are visible and even monsters of modest intelligence either know, or quickly learn, to avoid them. Our party wants to funnel attacks towards the tank, so we agreed that SG wasn't viable in most combats.

At 11th level we switched over to Holy Weapon. With 3 attacks per round and duration of an hour that's a spicy amount of damage. With a +8 to the Concentration check and the Lucky feat, it takes a lot of bad luck to drop the spell.

PS - This item isn't the best pick in the party, believe it or not. The Periapt of Proof Against Poison has saved our Bladesinger so much damage it isn't even funny.