PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite ____Musician

zeratul
2007-11-03, 02:49 PM
SO who's everyones favorite singer? Guitarist? Bassist? accordion player?

Okay that last one may prove strange, but still, who's everyones favorite one of these types of things?

Personally my favourites are......

Guitar : Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), and André Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
Both very talented in different ways. Andre is great at playing really complicated stuff for guitar that still sounds good, and isn't overly flashy. Jerry on the other hand writes great grungie stuff, but at the same time it is more intricate than most of the simple guitar parts of most grunge music.

Bass: Kim Deal (Pixies), and Krist Novoselic (Nirvana)
What those two bassists lack in ability to play really hard stuff they make up for in the ability to play really catchy stuff.

Drums: Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), and Brian Rosenworcel (Guster)
Taylor and Brain both write great, interesting drum lines to song, Brian's style in particular of playing all drums bongo style, is really cool.

Vocalists: I have a hard time picking a favorite vocalist, since everyone has a vastly different voice. However a few of my Favorites would probably be Kurt Cobain, Chris Cornell, Hansi Kürsch, and Dave Grohl

So who are your favorites?

zeratul
2007-11-15, 08:50 PM
*pokes thread* anyone? Anyone at all?

In any case I'd like to add.......

Guitar: Alexi Laho : A good half way point between the two I just mentioned. Plus he can do that while singing, very few can shred like that while singing.

Semidi
2007-11-15, 11:05 PM
In no particular order, also I don't judge by technical skill, rather, stuff that sounds pleasing or cool.

Guitar: Tony Iommi (black sabbath), "Randy" Rhoads (Ozzy solo stuff), Ritchie Blackmore (Rainbow, Deep Purple), Slash (if you don't know what he's done you should stop reading), and Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction).

Bass: Steve Harris (thank you powerslave for correcting me) (Iron Maiden), Lemmy (motorhead), Flea (RHCP), Roger Waters (Pink Floyd).

Drums: Mickey Curry (The Cult), Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Lars Ulrich (Metallica).

Vocals: David Bowie, Freddie Mercury (Queen), Peter Murphy (Bauhaus), Morrissey (The Smiths), OhGr (Skinny Puppy), Alice Cooper, Ozzy (Solo stuff & Black Sabbath)

FdL
2007-11-15, 11:34 PM
Drums: David Narcizo (Throwing Muses), Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo), Jim Eno (Spoon)..more to come

Bass: Naomi Yang (Galaxie 500), Peter Hook (Joy Division), Leslie Langston (Throwing Muses), Laura Ballance (Superchunk)...more to come

Powerslave44
2007-11-16, 12:57 AM
Bass: Steve Harrison (Iron Maiden)

It's Steve Harris. And I have to agree with most of this guys list, Randy Rhoads, Steve Harris, I'd probably throw Rob Halford of Judas Priest in for vocals... Danny Carrey of Tool for drums.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-16, 01:15 AM
My favorite musician is Sting.

Emrylon
2007-11-16, 06:31 PM
Favorite guitarists:
John Fruscinte (RHCP)
Mat Bellamy (Muse)
Scot Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
Pete Townsend (The Who)

Favourite Bassists
Flea (RHCP)
Victor Wooton
Chris Wolstonholme (Muse)
John Entwhistle (The Who)

Favourite Singers:
Phil Lynnot (Thin Lizzy)
Ian Watkins (Lostprophets)
Cathrine Jenkins

Moff Chumley
2007-11-16, 07:11 PM
...Didn't I start pretty much the same thread a month or two ago?
Oh well.

Guitar: Dave Gilmour, John Pettruci, Fripp, and Hendrix.
Keyboard: Emerson, Wakeman, and maybe Rudess.
Bass: Stanley Clarke, Chris Squire
Singer: Annie Haslem, Greg Lake

I'm a purist.

Castaras
2007-11-17, 10:35 AM
Guitarist - Steve Hackett. Just listen to some of his solos from Genesis's earlier albums, and you'll see why. Wish I could play the 12 string guitar...such a beautiful sound...

And that's the only musician I can be certain of liking the most. All the different musicians, artists, and bands I listen to are good in their own ways. There isn't a way for me to pick the best.

Exachix
2007-11-17, 11:47 AM
Singer: Morten Harket.
Summer Moved on (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB9Rq8FcEQ) he holds a high-ish note for a long time, then does a really high note moments later. Without going into falsetto.

Guitarist: ooh hard... Don't really know. Maybe Dave Gilmour.. Maybe Blasky... (12 String =D)
No.
Pat Metheny. He can play a 42 string (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikasso_guitar) guitar.

Basist & Synthesist: Geddy Lee. =P. he plays the Synthesiser with his FEET. (live, sometimes).

Drummer: Neil Peart.
He so rocks. The Rhythm Method (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ugf56bgiUQ) is the most awesomeness guitar solo in christendom. And He writes All of Rush's songs. And Rocks.

Keyboardist: Tony Banks.

hehe.