PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help needed! Trying build a 7th lvl Sorcerer/Rogue!

ThatOtherJim
2020-10-31, 08:55 AM
For an upcoming game, my DM let me roll stats, and I came up with the following:

STR - 8
DEX - 15
CON - 10
INT - 10
WIS - 14
CHA - 17

After talking with my DM about her world, I decided to go with Dragonblood Sorcerer, either Variant Human or Dragonborn. I can take feats, multi class, and take two “reasonable” magic items.

At this point I’m thinking take a 2 lvl dip into Rogue for cunning Action, so I can dip into shadows after casting, maybe taking Subtle Casting so I can stay hidden. Or maybe taking Ritual caster since I’ll be the only one in the party with detect magic?? Is a Rogue dip even worth losing a 4th level spell slot?! I don’t know! I’ve never been past 5th level!!

Any recommendations on builds, spells, feats, and magic items greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Bobthewizard
2020-10-31, 10:27 AM
Cunning action is great fun. It's not optimal to push spells and spell slots back on a sorcerer, but if you think it will be fun then go for it. At level 7, you are past the two levels, 5th and 6th, where the dip hurts the most.

Instead of a 2 level rogue dip that puts you behind in spell slots, consider making a goblin. They get BA hide or disengage as a racial feature. It's awesome.

Given the play style you describe, you might want to consider a shadow sorcerer.

If you can swap your wisdom and con I would.

RogueJK
2020-10-31, 10:34 AM
If ducking into/hiding in shadows then casting is your thing, a Goblin Sorcerer with Subtle Spell sounds like it's right on point. No delay to your spellcasting, and can still Bonus Action Disengage/Hide. A Shadow Sorcerer could even make their own darkness in which to hide, if you're not locked into Draconic.

Goblin Shadow Sorcerer:
STR 8
DEX 15+2
CON 10+1
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 17

Add +1 CON/CHA at 4th, then plan on +2 CHA at 8th and either Squat Nimbleness or Resilient DEX at 12th. Take Stealth and Perception skill proficiencies from your background.

Otherwise, for a Draconic Sorcerer 5/Rogue 2, I'd go Variant Human:
STR 8
DEX 15+1
CON 10
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 17+1

Start Sorcerer for CON save proficiency, at the cost of 1 less skill proficiency and some (unused) weapon proficiencies. With your free Variant Human feat, choose Elemental Adept for whichever element corresponds to your Draconic ancestor, and select a few Sorcerer spells (including an attack cantrip) that correspond to that element, to make good use of Elemental Affinity at Sorcerer 6. Go +2 CHA at Sorcerer 4, then plan on +2 DEX or +2 CON at 8th and 12th. You'll still want Stealth and Perception skill proficiency.