PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclass Storm sorcerer/Warlock

Ryswinn
2020-10-31, 10:12 AM
Hello, I'd like to multiclass my eladrin storm sorcerer (lvl 5) into warlock. My party is composed of me, a battle master fighter and a shadow monk, so I think a Celestial could be a good choice because of cure wounds and lesser restoration and healing light. I like the Hexblade too, because of the benefits I gain from Hexblade's curse and hex warrior, and take "improved pact weapon" at lvl 3. Finally The Great Old One could be a good choice for rolepaly.
Which build of these would be the best? Or, there's another that could work better?

bendking
2020-10-31, 10:19 AM
Personally, I would propose the Tempest Cleric as a 2-level dip instead of Warlock.
You get Heavy Armor Proficiency and the ability to maximize some of your spells. It complements the close-range playstyle that Storm Sorcerer encourages.
Also, ask if your DM will let you use the upcoming Transmuted Spell from Tasha's to swap Fireball's element to Thunder so you can maximize it with Channel Divinity and you're golden.

Ryswinn
2020-10-31, 10:39 AM
Personally, I would propose the Tempest Cleric as a 2-level dip instead of Warlock.
You get Heavy Armor Proficiency and the ability to maximize some of your spells. It complements the close-range playstyle that Storm Sorcerer encourages.
Also, ask if your DM will let you use the upcoming Transmuted Spell from Tasha's to swap Fireball's element to Thunder so you can maximize it with Channel Divinity and you're golden.

Sorry, forgot to say my stats are:
STR 9
DEX 16
CON 14
WIS 12
INT 10
DEX 20
So unfortunately I can't multiclass with tempest cleric.

bendking
2020-10-31, 10:47 AM
In that case, I would say there isn't an ideal choice here really, kind of depends on your taste. I would stay away from Great Old One because it's a bit lackluster. I would probably go for Hexblade because it's so frontloaded, so you get a lot of value from just a dip.
Important to note you shouldn't take more than 3 levels of Warlock. I would stick to 2 unless you really want Improved Weapon Pact.

RogueJK
2020-10-31, 10:49 AM
Are you looking at more of a 1-2 level dip into Warlock, or are you planning to switch to Warlock altogether?

Hexblade likely gets you the most out of a 1-2 level dip. Celestial would be a better choice if you're planning to stick with it.

Sorry, forgot to say my stats are:
STR 9
DEX 16
CON 14
WIS 12
INT 10
DEX 20
So unfortunately I can't multiclass with tempest cleric.

You could if you wait a few more levels and take Elven Accuracy (+1 WIS), +2 WIS, or Resilient WIS at Sorcerer 8, then multiclass into Tempest Cleric for 2 levels. Or ask your DM if you could swap out your Sorcerer 4 ASI for one of these WIS options, and multiclass now.

This would be a more "optimal" choice than Warlock. Maximized Lightning/Thunder blasting spells, Medium Armor and Shield, plus you wouldn't miss out on any higher level spell slots like you do if going Warlock. (Sorcerer/Cleric levels stack for spell slot progression, whereas Warlock slots are independent and rely only on Warlock levels, meaning you start over with Level 1 Warlock slots.)

bendking
2020-10-31, 11:10 AM
Are you looking at more of a 1-2 level dip into Warlock, or are you planning to switch to Warlock altogether?

Hexblade likely gets you the most out of a 1-2 level dip. Celestial would be a better choice if you're planning to stick with it.

You could if you wait a few more levels and take Elven Accuracy (+1 WIS), +2 WIS, or Resilient WIS at Sorcerer 8, then multiclass into Tempest Cleric for 2 levels. Or ask your DM if you could swap out your Sorcerer 4 ASI for one of these WIS options, and multiclass now.

This would be a more "optimal" choice than Warlock. Maximized Lightning/Thunder blasting spells, Medium Armor and Shield, plus you wouldn't miss out on any higher level spell slots like you do if going Warlock. (Sorcerer/Cleric levels stack for spell slot progression, whereas Warlock slots are independent and rely only on Warlock levels, meaning you start over with Level 1 Warlock slots.)

It's actually Heavy Armor, so it's even better.
And again, in this case, ask to use the upcoming Transmutated Spell to maximize any spell.

RogueJK
2020-10-31, 11:11 AM
It's actually Heavy Armor, so it's even better.

They only have 9 STR (and they're not a dwarf), plus they have 16 DEX. So Heavy Armor wouldn't be useful to them. They'd stick to Medium Armor + Shield.

Ryswinn
2020-10-31, 11:48 AM
Thank you all, I've got much clearer ideas now 👍

bendking
2020-10-31, 11:55 AM
They only have 9 STR (and they're not a dwarf), plus they have 16 DEX. So Heavy Armor wouldn't be useful to them. They'd stick to Medium Armor + Shield.
True, I wasn't looking at the stats. I only meant to say they get heavy armor proficiency since I thought you said they get medium armor.

Thank you all, I've got much clearer ideas now 👍
You're very welcome!

Corran
2020-11-03, 04:17 AM
Important to note you shouldn't take more than 3 levels of Warlock. I would stick to 2 unless you really want Improved Weapon Pact.
I dont know. Pact of the tome would be pretty good in a small party with no rituals at all. From 0 to potentially everything is hard to pass up if you've already committed 2 levels in warlock. Still, I think I like the tempest cleric idea a little more, because I think that they need the upgrade on the AoE's more than the upgrade to ranged damage output (although I can't be certain, the op would be the best judge of that by thinking back to how the encounter were so far).

@op: Definitely pick something with medium armor and shield proficiency* (so if you end up going warlock, the I'd definitely suggest hexblade). Not only this will free up your spell selection significantly, but more importantly, it is very beneficial to be as all rounded as you can in a small party like yours.

*grab warcaster too.

Keravath
2020-11-03, 11:19 AM
I dont know. Pact of the tome would be pretty good in a small party with no rituals at all. From 0 to potentially everything is hard to pass up if you've already committed 2 levels in warlock. Still, I think I like the tempest cleric idea a little more, because I think that they need the upgrade on the AoE's more than the upgrade to ranged damage output (although I can't be certain, the op would be the best judge of that by thinking back to how the encounter were so far).

@op: Definitely pick something with medium armor and shield proficiency* (so if you end up going warlock, the I'd definitely suggest hexblade). Not only this will free up your spell selection significantly, but more importantly, it is very beneficial to be as all rounded as you can in a small party like yours.

*grab warcaster too.

Tome warlock only gets rituals up to the warlock level/2 rounded up so a level 3 tome warlock will only ever have access to 2nd level rituals. This is fine since there are a lot of good level 1 rituals but it isn't access to everything like Leomunds Tiny Hut, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Water walking or water breathing which are all decent higher level rituals. The ritual caster feat might work better if you are looking for access to ritual spells.

However, the storm sorcerer/ tempest cleric combination has a lot of synergy which might work better than the warlock option and will give you access to armor, using a shield, healing and other low level cleric spells. In terms of warlocks - celestial gives you some healing while hexblade gives you some armor and your party could use the healing while your character could use the armor - though both could give access to agonizing blast if that is a consideration.

Corran
2020-11-03, 02:20 PM
Tome warlock only gets rituals up to the warlock level/2 rounded up so a level 3 tome warlock will only ever have access to 2nd level rituals. This is fine since there are a lot of good level 1 rituals but it isn't access to everything like Leomunds Tiny Hut, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Water walking or water breathing which are all decent higher level rituals. The ritual caster feat might work better if you are looking for access to ritual spells.
Ah... Yeah, you are right.

However, the storm sorcerer/ tempest cleric combination has a lot of synergy which might work better than the warlock option and will give you access to armor, using a shield, healing and other low level cleric spells. In terms of warlocks - celestial gives you some healing while hexblade gives you some armor and your party could use the healing while your character could use the armor - though both could give access to agonizing blast if that is a consideration.
Good point about the (pop up) healing, didn't think of that. Well, I guess that seals it for me. Since rituals (from tome pact) are less appealing, and since the cleric dip allows you both access to healing and to armor (while also boosting your AoE's), I'd say that's how I would be tempted to proceed.

(bold): Your party is using your armor too. The idea behind it, is that you do it in order to help take some pressure off the other two. Spreading damage taken, is usually more important in small parties (for example in this case, there are fewer characters to distract the not-necessarily fewer opponents from your character, and if you go down, then no one has healing to bring you back or magic to raise you). Saying usually, cause if at least one member is build specifically for tanking, and does that well, then a small party may be an opportunity to have the enemies more easily focus on just that one character, which is what you'll want in that case (for example the monk could be long death, and while I dont know much about them I keep hearing they are excellent tanks; or the fighter could be a warforged with access to a few magic items that provide further AC buffs, which will definitely work well for some time). Of course, even then, boosting your own AC is good, if for nothing else just for eliminating one of the party's weak spots (becoming less of a priority target in a party that would otherwise have a clear priority target, is very good for the party, cause it means that against intelligent and capable enemies, the party is more likely to be operating with 3 effective characters instead of less for more time).