PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Need Some Inspiration

Blazerunner08
2020-10-31, 01:58 PM
Hey Everyone, I will be running a one shot in the next couple of week for my regular group and I have no idea what to do.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can run for D&D 3.5 edition.

Thank you in advanced.

Adamantrue
2020-10-31, 03:35 PM
Why not start with a standard, like...

[rolls dice]

...Damsel in Distress?

OK, a standard plot like rescuing a Princess. Now, how much are you willing to muck it up, subvert tropes, etc?

RSGA
2020-10-31, 06:16 PM
A simple enough bandit extermination for a soon-to-be imperiled town. Then end with a little stinger of the bandits having part of some kind of minor (or not so minor but very obscure) artifact so that there's a stinger and hook for if you have to do this again.

tiercel
2020-11-01, 03:28 AM
DRAGON!!!

I mean, it’s right there in the title of the game, and there’s not much more iconic than taking down a dragon baddie and looting its hoard. —Granted, that last part is more satisfying when it’s not just a one-shot, but it’s a good way to get your group to WANT to continue those characters.... and on the flip side, if your dragon encounter/lair turns out to be too much for the PCs, no harm done to the regular game!

Plus dragons are iconic BBEGs for a reason: they are opponents who have a fair shot of standing up to the PCs-vs-dragon action economy, plus building a dragon and its encounter lets you flex your DM muscles (and...if desired... the madness of these boards to boot, bwu ha ha ha!)

Blazerunner08
2020-11-04, 07:29 PM
Well, I am starting hem at level 2 so any ideas for that?

Adamantrue
2020-11-04, 07:51 PM
You know what isn't done very often, and can take some of the workload away from you?

Have them participate in a Tournament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_(medieval)).

Make sure they know in advance, so they can make characters appropriate for it. Set up a roster of NPCs, a few they can be friendly with, a few that are adversarial, and a few they really want to knock down a peg or two.

Let them compete against each other, encouraging in-game (and maybe out-of-game) wagers so they are invested in watching each other fight.

Cuts down on the map-making workload too, lets you focus on character creation.

What do people think of this?

Xervous
2020-11-05, 01:40 PM
DRAGON!!!

I mean, it’s right there in the title of the game, and there’s not much more iconic than taking down a dragon baddie and looting its hoard. —Granted, that last part is more satisfying when it’s not just a one-shot, but it’s a good way to get your group to WANT to continue those characters.... and on the flip side, if your dragon encounter/lair turns out to be too much for the PCs, no harm done to the regular game!

Plus dragons are iconic BBEGs for a reason: they are opponents who have a fair shot of standing up to the PCs-vs-dragon action economy, plus building a dragon and its encounter lets you flex your DM muscles (and...if desired... the madness of these boards to boot, bwu ha ha ha!)

Dragons either hold their own by being under CRed or by not playing the losing game of “trade hits in melee with things slower and less mobile than me”. A dragon in a box is a bundle of numbers you either brute force over or succumb to. A dragon strafing any who try to climb the mountain is a puzzle (up until a certain level).

Dragons, when done well, make iconic BBEGs because they have all manner of ways to frustrate parties (up to a certain level) and it’s only by circumstance that the party gets within killing range of the dragon. Killing a fire lizard in a box is an encounter. Getting a dragon to be that lizard in the box is an adventure.

Personally I would not throw dragons at low level parties as enemies. Played correctly it’s all strafing breath weapons and nobody has fun. Played poorly they don’t feel impactful. If you want to keep dragons awesome, don’t waste them as fodder.

bean illus
2020-11-08, 11:21 AM
You know what isn't done very often, and can take some of the workload away from you?

Have them participate in a Tournament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_(medieval)).

Cuts down on the map-making workload too, lets you focus on character creation.

What do people think of this?

I've always liked the idea. I've used it a lot.

Dragons ...

Personally I would not throw dragons at low level parties as enemies. Played correctly it’s all strafing breath weapons and nobody has fun. Played poorly they don’t feel impactful. If you want to keep dragons awesome, don’t waste them as fodder.

Remember that module where you meet the baby dragon in a cave, and it's supposed to strafe the party, then escape out the back and reappear as a recurring bbeg?

Our barbarian thew my halfling, wolverine style. I rolled a 20. Grabbed the dragon, and the party slayed.

Well, I am starting hem at level 2 so any ideas for that?

Maybe recurring characters? Seemingly minor characters with potential advancement.

Don't forget to dm to the classes. If the characters have skills, make skill challenges. If the party has Turn undead, send undead.

At low levels i send low CR challenges, but lots of them. Some 1d6 falls, traps, and single event encounters, that they are likely to live though. Make them use up their healing.
Watch out for challenges that can crit your party.