PDA

View Full Version : Eugene's Karmic News Flash (Spoilers)

Alfryd
2007-11-03, 03:13 PM
Hold the phone.

According to On the Origin of PCs, Eugene was raised from the dead on six seperate occasions during his lengthy and eventful career. And on at least one occasion, Eugene was dead for long enough to celebrate the New Year (between 1143 and 1144.) So why was Eugene never once informed of the problem with his outstanding Blood Oath? I mean, Roy fully expected to be raised within 24 hours, yet his case-handler was apparently confident they could sort through the paperwork within this limited timeframe.

Highly peculiar.

EDIT: Whoops. See below.

RMS Oceanic
2007-11-03, 03:28 PM
Well, 1143-44 was around the time Xykon killed Fyron, so it's certainly possible he died and was raised before Fyron died, or indeed before he swore the oath.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-03, 03:40 PM
Or

a) He was actively seeking out Xykon, meaning the oath thing was negilible
b) You forget everything in the afterlife.

factotum
2007-11-03, 03:51 PM
I'm with "you forget everything you learned while dead once resurrected".

Alfryd
2007-11-03, 04:03 PM
Actually, my mistake. Closer inspection of his last conversation with Roy indicates Eugene knew the Oath would 'follow him into the afterlife'. Still, it seems strange that he simply left the matter in Roy/Julia's hands, given the potential alternative was an eternity doing nothing much in particular.

(I should also point out that Eugene makes a deliberate effort at (semi) tactful reconciliation at this point.)

TheAlmightyOne
2007-11-03, 05:47 PM
My guess is he got up there and was then rezzed pretty quickly, possibly during his interview each time thus meaning he never finds out how the oath works. As for the spanning two years thing, he died at 11:59 and was rezzed at 00:01, technicly being rezzed the following year

Koraks
2007-11-03, 06:03 PM
I'm with "you forget everything you learned while dead once resurrected".

I disagree here, remember the revolving door and the old chap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html)?

I_R_Thog
2007-11-03, 06:04 PM
Maybe they're keeping Eugene there on purpose.:smalltongue:

David Argall
2007-11-03, 07:15 PM
Hold the phone.

According to On the Origin of PCs, Eugene was raised from the dead on six seperate occasions during his lengthy and eventful career. And on at least one occasion, Eugene was dead for long enough to celebrate the New Year (between 1143 and 1144.) So why was Eugene never once informed of the problem with his outstanding Blood Oath?

The likely answer is plothole. The writer had just not thought out the implications at first, and has now found he doesn't really like them, so they were papered over as best he could and left for us to debate.

nimby
2007-11-03, 07:24 PM
As for the spanning two years thing, he died at 11:59 and was rezzed at 00:01, technicly being rezzed the following year

He died at 11:59. At 00:00, they added the dates on his tombstone. They rezzed him at 00:001.

Could happen :D