PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Beast Barb Tailmaw concept?

werescythe
2020-10-31, 08:55 PM
So with the release of the table of contents for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything revealed (thanks IGN) it was revealed that the Path of the Beast will be included in TCoE. Now originally I had thought that the tail option was odd and that in the end I would probably be picking claws for my barbarian... then recently I saw a few images that gave me an idea.

Ever heard of a Tailmaw? It's a bit of a goofy concept where a character has a tail and the tail is secretly a living organism with a mouth filled with razor sharp teeth. Admittedly it is seen a lot in the furry community but this is Dungeons & Dragons so I don't think anyone should be complaining. Here is an image to better show what I'm talking about.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ff3c3226-521c-44a8-b71d-127acf031b8a/ddlk4am-b1118939-65f3-47b6-aaaa-c019337fcf03.png/v1/fill/w_992,h_805,strp/shopping_with_the_maw___by_eyeswings_by_darkflame_ wolf_ddlk4am-pre.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib 2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xNTU4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlw vZmYzYzMyMjYtNTIxYy00NGE4LWI3MWQtMTI3YWNmMDMxYjhhX C9kZGxrNGFtLWIxMTE4OTM5LTY1ZjMtNDdiNi1hYWFhLWMwMTk zMzdmY2YwMy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTkyMCJ9XV0sImF1Z CI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.mc 3bks0pDJmtoo_wM4krYrYvILRvs93b5IIS7o0DNSw

So after considering this concept, I wanted to see what sort of feats might work with this concept and perhaps some multiclassing. The concept being a Beast Barbarian that focuses on using their tail("maw") in combat.

Personally I was thinking a Tabaxi Beast Barbarian with the CHR and Dex swapped out for STR and CON, might be fun.

From what I could gather in the PHB, the Sentinel and maybe the Savage Attacker feat could be good. Though assuming that the Piercer feat from the UA shows up in TCoE, it might be better than Savage Attacker.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Dr. Cliché
2020-11-01, 08:32 AM
Grappler seems like a perfect fit - to represent the tail mouth biting people and grabbing hold of them.

Also, I know this isn't what you were asking about, but it occurs to me that you could possibly do this with Ranger, refluffing your animal companion as your tail. It would highlight the 'separate organism' aspect, with the tail even being attacked and damaged separately (and eventually regrown if destroyed).

It would be unusual, certainly, but as a DM I think I'd allow it. Sounds like a fun concept.

werescythe
2020-11-01, 05:06 PM
Grappler seems like a perfect fit - to represent the tail mouth biting people and grabbing hold of them.

Also, I know this isn't what you were asking about, but it occurs to me that you could possibly do this with Ranger, refluffing your animal companion as your tail. It would highlight the 'separate organism' aspect, with the tail even being attacked and damaged separately (and eventually regrown if destroyed).

It would be unusual, certainly, but as a DM I think I'd allow it. Sounds like a fun concept.

Admittedly I don't know too much how grappling works in DnD (largely because I haven't done it), but if it's something that I can do with the tail (like I'm "biting down" on the enemies) then that's definitely a feat that could go great with it. :smallsmile:

micahaphone
2020-11-01, 05:14 PM
weird but I can dig it. I'd think of it as a venom-esque symbiote.

Need to check w/ the DM if natural weapons counts for the unarmed strike part of Tavern Brawler feat, letting you grapple as a bonus action after you strike with your rage growth weapons.

Barbs have advantage on the checks to shove/grapple, so past level 5 you could theoretically shove someone prone, hit them with a natural weapon, then grapple them as a BA, forcing them to stay prone unless they use an action to escape.

Technically grappling with a non-arm appendage is a buff, but given that you're a natural weapon focused barb it's not like your hands would normally be full. A minor buff but a buff nonetheless.

Please see this link for an overview of 5e's shoving/grappling rules.

https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Grappling

werescythe
2020-11-03, 09:49 PM
Yeah, sadly from what I can gather Natural Weapons are technically considered "weapons" and that you are still "armed" when using them. :smalleek:

At least that's what my searches on the internet would indicate.

werescythe
2020-11-04, 10:58 PM
But yes, Grappler does look fun. :smallsmile:

While I am currently leaning toward Tabaxi, if anyone has any other interesting suggestions for races, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Natural Weapons are considered Melee Weapons (or just weapons)? If so then there might be a few options for the Martial Adapt Feat.

Well, assuming that Restraining Strike makes it into TCoE (and assuming that Natural Weapons can be considered Melee Weapons), it would allow for that Bonus Action Grapple option.

werescythe
2020-11-18, 11:42 PM
Well, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is out and we got to see the Beast Barb. For the most part I like it, even the changes to tail, however the 14th ability does seem lack luster.

So now I'm curious if after level 10, is it worth sticking around in Barbarian or would it be better to multiclass into something else. If so, what would be a good class to multiclass into that could continue to work with the Tailmaw theme (and perhaps even enhance it)?