PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Gliding? Need Glide Speed for Homebrew Race. How to implement?

Nikushimi
2020-10-31, 09:43 PM
Hey there! I am currently working on a homebrew race.

One of the types of this race has an ability that I call

Ride the Wind

This basically allows them to glide, or "ride the wind". It also acts as a sort of "boost" to a jump. So they can glide down from somewhere, or jump and then glide.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to implement gliding rules. Since there are no rules currently for gliding that I can find officially.

Any help would be appreciated. What I basically need help with is simplifying it without overdoing it with too many words.

1. Movement speed if any?
2. Jump height/distance with this.

Those are the two main things I need to figure out how to explain and what sounds reasonable. Thanks for the input!

Dork_Forge
2020-10-31, 09:50 PM
The Simic Hybrid has a gliding option:

You have ray-like fins that you can use as wings to slow your fall or allow you to glide. When you fall and aren't incapacitated, you can subtract up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating falling damage, and you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend.

Nikushimi
2020-10-31, 09:53 PM
The Simic Hybrid has a gliding option:

Ah, interesting. Though, I'm not sure how to calculate this "you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend."

So basically, for every 5 feet you go down, you move 10 feet horizontally?

I can use that as a starting point. Now to figure out the jump boost thing.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-10-31, 10:08 PM
I've seen this used in combination somewhere:

Glide: Using your feathered arms, you can slow your fall, and glide short distances. When falling you can use your reaction to spread your arms, stiffen your wing feathers, and slow your descent. While doing so, you continue to fall gently at a speed of 60 feet per round, taking no fall damage when you land. If you would fall at least 10 feet in this way, you may fly up to your movement speed in one direction you choose, although you cannot choose to move upwards, landing in the space you finish your movement. You cannot glide while carrying heavy weapons or wielding a shield (though you may drop any held items as part of your reaction to spread your arms). You cannot glide while wearing heavy armor, or if you are encumbered.

Wing Flap: As a bonus action, you can use your powerful feathered arms to propel yourself upward a distance equal to half your movement speed. You can use it in conjunction with a regular jump, but not while gliding.

Luccan
2020-10-31, 10:12 PM
Ah, interesting. Though, I'm not sure how to calculate this "you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend."

So basically, for every 5 feet you go down, you move 10 feet horizontally?

I can use that as a starting point. Now to figure out the jump boost thing.

Basically. You could look at the Jump spell or the Monk's Step of the Wind for ideas on jump boosting.