PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spells with multiple damage types

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-01, 04:22 AM
So with Scribes Wizard set to come out in Tashas, i'm wondering what spells have multiple damage types. I know Chromatic Orb and Dragon's Breath do, also Prismatic Spray and Wall. Any others?

ff7hero
2020-11-01, 06:26 AM
Chaos Orb probably counts.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-01, 06:33 AM
Chaos Orb probably counts.

Chaos Bolt? It's not a Wizard spell.

Chronos
2020-11-01, 08:12 AM
Meteor Storm does both bludgeoning and fire.

What's special about the Scribe Wizard and spells with multiple damage types?

stoutstien
2020-11-01, 08:31 AM
Ice knife if I recall correctly

Catullus64
2020-11-01, 08:33 AM
Some of the SCAG cantrips (how does every other thread end up relating to SCAG cantrips) implicitly do so, since they include a weapon attack as well as elemental damage.

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-01, 09:03 AM
Some of the SCAG cantrips (how does every other thread end up relating to SCAG cantrips) implicitly do so, since they include a weapon attack as well as elemental damage.

Unfortunately cantrips dont work. Has to be leveled spells.

Valmark
2020-11-01, 09:11 AM
Meteor Storm does both bludgeoning and fire.

What's special about the Scribe Wizard and spells with multiple damage types?
Because the Scribe can change spells' elemental damage with one from another spell they have in the spellbook. Having spells with multiple elements gives you more versatility I think?

And also you can 'unify' the spell damage, if for some reason you want to (like making Ice Knife only fire instead of piercing and cold).

At least, that's what I assume is the reason for OP's question.

I don't think that would count (regardless of the fact that cantrips don't work) since it's not the spell's damage the weapon attack.

ff7hero
2020-11-01, 09:14 AM
Chaos Bolt? It's not a Wizard spell.

Yeah, that one. Also, really? Does the Scribe ability only work with Wizard spells? Like could a Sorcerer/Scribe multiclass take advantage of knowing Chaos Bolt? I'm not recommending this necessarily, I'm just curious.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-01, 09:14 AM

That sounds like the same logic could be used to argue that you could change the damage type of falling as a result of Reverse Gravity...

TheUser
2020-11-01, 09:37 AM
Ice Storm, Storm Sphere and Animate Objects come to mind.

EDIT Oh apparently I too have misinterpreted the question.

Catullus64
2020-11-01, 09:43 AM
That sounds like the same logic could be used to argue that you could change the damage type of falling as a result of Reverse Gravity...

I didn't realize we were talking about a specific feature with damage types, I thought we were just listing ways to deal split damage with spells.

RogueJK
2020-11-01, 11:34 AM
Glyph of Warding (various elements)
Elemental Bane (various elements)
Spirit Shroud (radiant/necrotic)
Fire Shield (fire/cold)
Illusory Dragon (various elements)

Absorb Elements (various elements, though that one's a bit of a stretch since it isn't the spell itself that's determining the element type...)

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-01, 11:47 PM
I'm starting to think that i should just grab some force damage spells.

RogueJK
2020-11-02, 12:19 PM
I'm starting to think that i should just grab some force damage spells.

Perhaps, although those are limited at lower levels:
1: Magic Missile
2-4: None
5: Bigby's Hand or Steel Wind Strike
6: Disintegrate
7: Mordenkainen's Sword
8: None
9: Blade of Disaster

And if you're planning for a 2 level Tempest Cleric dip, you'll probably want some Thunder/Lightning spells at various levels (especially 3 and 4 to allow for Thunderballs/Lightningballs).

Thunder:
1: Thunderwave or Chromatic Orb
2: Shatter
3: Glyph of Warding or Thunderstep
4: Elemental Bane
5-9: None

Lightning:
1: Chromatic Orb or Witch Bolt
2: Dragon's Breath
3: Lightning Bolt or Glyph of Warding
4: Storm Sphere or Elemental Bane
5: None
6: Chain Lightning
7: Prismatic Spray
8: Illusory Dragon
9: Prismatic Wall

Darc_Vader
2020-11-03, 01:26 AM
Perhaps, although those are limited at lower levels:
1: Magic Missile
2-4: None
5: Bigby's Hand or Steel Wind Strike
6: Disintegrate
7: Mordenkainen's Sword
8: None
9: Blade of Disaster

And if you're planning for a 2 level Tempest Cleric dip, you'll probably want some Thunder/Lightning spells at various levels (especially 3 and 4 to allow for Thunderballs/Lightningballs).

Thunder:
1: Thunderwave or Chromatic Orb
2: Shatter
3: Glyph of Warding or Thunderstep
4: Elemental Bane
5-9: None

Lightning:
1: Chromatic Orb or Witch Bolt
2: Dragon's Breath
3: Lightning Bolt or Glyph of Warding
4: Storm Sphere or Elemental Bane
5: None
6: Chain Lightning
7: Prismatic Spray
8: Illusory Dragon
9: Prismatic Wall

Did they change it in Tasha’s to require a spell at the same level? Isn’t it enough to have just Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb and then you’re good on damage types for the foreseeable future?

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-03, 02:49 AM
Did they change it in Tasha’s to require a spell at the same level? Isn’t it enough to have just Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb and then you’re good on damage types for the foreseeable future?

It will be changed to needing a spell of equal or higher level.

RogueJK
2020-11-03, 11:49 AM
It will be changed to needing a spell of equal or higher level.

The reports are that it requires a spell of equal level, period. If upcast, it requires a spell of that upcast slot's level.

So you can't just have one low level spell with that damage type (like Chromatic Orb), or just one high level spell with that damage (like Prismatic Wall). You need a spell with that damage type at each spell level at which you want to cast a swapped element spell.