PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dex-based unmonk via unrogue

Elysiume
2020-11-01, 08:43 PM
Three levels of unchained rogue grants access to Finesse Training, granting dex to damage with any one type of weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, including unarmed strike. Three levels is a pretty costly dip, but if you make it even more costly and dip four levels, you can also pick up Debilitating Injury. I was looking at Eldritch Scoundrel (https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Rogue%20Eldritch%2 0Scoundrel), which is arbitrarily banned for Unchained Rogue in PFS, but I'm not playing PFS so that doesn't matter. You don't lose anything major, and you pick up the ability to cast wizard spells. One of the interesting quirks is that when you grab ninja tricks via rogue talents, you can use your monk ki pool to fuel them.

Race: Halfling (Fearless, Weapon Familiarity -> Underfoot Dodger)
Stats: 6 19 14 13 14 9 (after racials)
Traits: Magical Knack, [campaign trait]
Class: Unchained Rogue (Eldritch Scoundrel) to 4, Unchained Monk after

Feats/talents:
1) Agile Maneuvers
3)
4, unrogue 4) Rogue Talent (Ninja Trick (Pressure Points))
5) Rogue Talent (Ninja Trick (Vanishing Trick))
6, unmonk 2) Combat Reflexes
7) Jabbing Style
9)
10, unmonk 6) Dodge
11) Jabbing Dancer
13) Jabbing Master
14, unmonk 10) Medusa's Wrath
15)
17)
18, unmonk 14)

Items:

Amulet of Mighty Fists (variable)
Belt of Incredible Dexterity (variable)
Headband of Inspired Wisdom (variable)
Cloak of Resistance (variable)
Ring of Protection (variable)
Deliquescent Gloves (8k)
Monk's Robe (13k)
Boots of Speed (12k)
Lesser Rod of Extend Spell (3k)
Pearl of Power I (1k, multiple)
Prayer Wheel of Ethical Strength (10k)
Serpentine Tattoo (2k)

Spells:

0th (4/day): Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation
1st (3+1/day): Heightened Awareness, Longarm, Mage Armor, Monkey Fish, Shield
2nd (1/day): Darkvision, Invisibility

Notes:

Weapon Finesse and Combat Expertise are given to all characters for free.
Slow Speed, Sure-Footed -> Fleet of Foot as a racial trait is often a no-brainer but with the monk's speed boost, the +2 to acrobatics is kind of nice.
Piranha Strike is tentatively banned in this campaign.
Handwraps are tentatively banned in this campaign.
A Serpentine Tattoo will likely be difficult if not impossible to acquire.

Any classes/archetypes/etc. that would work better as the chassis? Any traits/feats/spells/items that would work better here? The initial goal here was just thinking about a dex-based rogue, but I grew to like the rogue/monk hybrid both from a backstory and mechanical perspective. Extra Ki and some Extra Rogue Talent (eyeing Shadow Clone) are an easy way to fill out open feat slots.

Firebug
2020-11-01, 10:30 PM
Monks can get annoying for GMs if their AC is too high (especially since you are going to have Mage Armor and Shield in class), so Risky Striker (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Risky%20Striker) since you are thinking you are unlikely to get Piranha Strike? Its kind of the same thing, but you lose AC instead of attack bonus. And would stack if you take Power Attack/etc.

Drelua
2020-11-01, 10:38 PM
For the monk side, maybe see if you can use Monk of the Mantis to get more sneak attack when flurrying. I'm not a huge fan of jabbing style, it's a lot of damage in theory but it only adds very much to your less accurate attacks. Snake style's fun for the AoO anytime someone misses you, just have to make sure your enemies have a reason to keep attacking you, which shouldn't be a problem with sneak attack. The sense motive roll to replace your AC is good for touch attacks. Crane Style's great if you can use the pre-errata version. Or outslug if you want to be really good at 5 foot steps.

Edit: since you're going halfling, scaled fist might be good. Use charisma instead of wisdom for all your monk stuff.

Kurald Galain
2020-11-02, 05:33 AM
You cannot use two styles at the same time, so you can't use Jabbing Master with Medusa's Wrath. Plus you seem to have missed some of the prereqs on Jabbing Master. Boar Style is arguably better than Jabbing Style, anyway.

You usually don't need Agile Maneuvers when you have Weapon Finesse.

Since you're an U-monk, grab Flying Kick (i.e. pounce) as early as possible.

And with your limited spellcasting, I would focus more on commonly-used combat spells, and not on uncommonly-used situational abilities like Monkey Fish and Darkvision.

Psyren
2020-11-02, 10:13 AM
You cannot use two styles at the same time, so you can't use Jabbing Master with Medusa's Wrath. Plus you seem to have missed some of the prereqs on Jabbing Master. Boar Style is arguably better than Jabbing Style, anyway.

Despite it's name, Scorpion Style isn't actually a style feat (i.e. it lacks the "[Style]" tag), and neither is Medusa's Wrath. They are both core feats, printed years before Style Feats became a thing in Ultimate Combat. So you can combine them with Jabbing Style just fine.

You usually don't need Agile Maneuvers when you have Weapon Finesse.

To elaborate on this, Weapon Finesse lets you add Dex to maneuvers that use your weapon, like trip, sunder and disarm, so Agile Maneuvers is unnecessary for those. However, if you're planning to do things like Grapple/Dirty Trick/Overrun that don't use your weapon, you will need Agile Maneuvers for those.

AZGrowler
2020-11-04, 03:13 PM
Snake style's fun for the AoO anytime someone misses you, just have to make sure your enemies have a reason to keep attacking you, which shouldn't be a problem with sneak attack. The sense motive roll to replace your AC is good for touch attacks.
Snake Style uses a lot of immediate actions for its abilities. There's the Sense Motive result as AC/touch AC of the style feat, taking a 5-foot step after a critical with Snake Sidewind, and the bonus attack with Snake Fang. It's not as big a deal for you as for, say, a Sacred Fist Warpriest, as you don't have as much competition for your immediate and swift actions, but it is something to keep in mind.

Edit: since you're going halfling, scaled fist might be good. Use charisma instead of wisdom for all your monk stuff.
This would be even better if there was an unchained ninja.

Drelua
2020-11-04, 08:04 PM
Snake Style uses a lot of immediate actions for its abilities. There's the Sense Motive result as AC/touch AC of the style feat, taking a 5-foot step after a critical with Snake Sidewind, and the bonus attack with Snake Fang. It's not as big a deal for you as for, say, a Sacred Fist Warpriest, as you don't have as much competition for your immediate and swift actions, but it is something to keep in mind.

The AoO any time someone misses you is the main thing for me, the other bonus attack is nice but not as important. With combat reflexes, a dex based character is unlikely to ever run out of AoOs. I played a high level hungry ghost monk with snake style a few years ago, he would often walk out of fights with less damage than he had when he went in. Using up your immediate is something of a concern, but I don't remember it ever coming up in a fairly long running campaign since the other abilities that use it are pretty situational. The small monk isn't likely to be anyone's first choice for a touch attack, but it's nice to have when a disintegrate gets pointed at you. Plus sense motive to confirm should be a huge improvement over your attack bonus, for your later attacks at least.

Oh, and I'd definitely get some qinggong ki powers. Grab ki leech when you can, if your campaign tends to have a few fights in a day then having a way to recharge is a huge help. I got a lot of use out of spit venom, if you get to that level. The enemies always made their save, so no CON damage, but there's no save on being blind for a turn. Barkskin's good, long duration and a higher bonus than you'd likely get from an amulet. True strike is great to have, especially for when you really want a maneuver to work.