PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for advice on balancing homebrew rules around darkvision/light/torches

NRSASD
2020-11-01, 09:54 PM
I've adopted some homebrew rules regarding torches and I'm wondering if the light spell is still balanced against this. I'm aiming for a more low magic setting than default 5E, but I got a sizeable amount of pushback regarding limiting the use of cantrips from my players and now I'm wondering if the rules are fine as is. I'm just looking for opinions one way or the other, so if you could let me know what you think and why I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Darkvision

Duration: Always on
Cost: Free
Range: 60' range

Pros:
Doesn't emit light (permits stealth)

Cons:
Can't be used with light sources
Not as good in absolute darkness

Torch

Duration: 1 hour
Cost: 1sp
Range 20' bright/ additional 20' dim

Pros:
Can be used as a weapon dealing 1d4+Dex/Str mod fire damage
Can be thrown to illuminate distant locations

Cons:
Can be extinguished by environmental hazards
Requires oxygen to function
Compromises stealth
Requires a free hand to use

Light Spell

Duration: 1 hour
Cost: 1 action
Range: 20' bright/ additional 20' dim

Pros:
Can be thrown to illuminate distant locations

Cons:
Can be dispelled
Compromises stealth

SiCK_Boy
2020-11-01, 10:29 PM
Just to be sure I understand the extent of the change:

- Darkvision remains unchanged (you don't mention the superior darkvision of drows - is that getting changed in any way)
- Torches are 10 times more expensive (are you also increasing the price of other potential light sources, such as lanterns, etc.)
- Torches are now a versatile weapon dealing 1d4 fire damage instead of being an improvised weapon dealing only 1 fire damage (do people attacking with your torch also get their full proficiency bonus on attack, or is it treated as an improvised weapon)
- Light spell remains unchanged

Did I miss some change you applied to darkvision or light spell?

I'll ask the same thing I keep harping about in the TCoE thread: what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

You indicate wanting to have a more "low magic" seeting than default 5E. Could you elaborate on what that means for you?

Because PCs are super exceptional anyway, if for you "low magic" means magic is super rare, it won't make a difference to the rules of magic or what your players can accomplish. These characters will just be really, super exceptional, in the context of your setting.

If it has to do with the nature of magic itself, what spells exist, what is allowed or not, etc... then I think you need to work on way more things than magic lighting issues. You should also consider the implications of healing magic restriction (something that players cannot easily replace with mundane pieces of equipment), communication magic restrictions, etc.

If it has to do with the frequency at which players can cast spells, then banning or restricting cantrips would work, but you have to remember that cantrips are a key component of the options allowed to spellcasters to allow them to be able to function in a normal adventuring day. Depriving your spellcasters of cantrips could easily lead to 5 minutes adventuring days. May as well consider banning spellcasters outright...

And if it only has to do with light magic, then really, I would need more info because you are not providing enough context to allow me to provide more useful feedback.

What I can say about the rules you listed is that:
- You changed nothing related to the Light cantrip (so it has no bearing to your setting being low magic, whatever that means)
- You changed nothing to darkvision
- All you did is turn torches into improvised weapons at the cost of multiplying their prize by 10

Your light spell is still balanced against a more expensive torch dealing more damage than a default torch. Players will still try to use darkvision and light cantrip as the primary, "free" way to see in the dark. Depending how many underground adventures you have your players take part in, that change may end up being irrelevant anyway. Unless the whole party has darkvision, the party will keep carrying a light source somehow, somewhere, and they'll quickly forget about who has the light once the fight starts anyway...

JackPhoenix
2020-11-01, 10:43 PM
- Darkvision remains unchanged (you don't mention the superior darkvision of drows - is that getting changed in any way)

He says it can't be used with light sources. That suggest.... I don't know, that it doesn't work in dim light, propably... it's not entirely clear what that and "Not as good in absolute darkness" mean.