PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next D&D 5.1E — Races

thoroughlyS
2020-11-01, 10:53 PM
Index (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?620527-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-5-1E-%97-Houserules-to-Revise-amp-Revamp-the-Game)

I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons for about half of my life, first introduced to the game at the tail end of v3.5. I have been playing 5E since its release, and it is my favorite version of the game. I feel like the rules are simple, elegant, and cohesive... for the most part. But no game is truly perfect, even to an individual, and there are some rules that I feel were suboptimally implemented. Some build options in the game outshine others, leading to an oversaturation in play. Meanwhile, other build options are so underwhelming that they are neglected an are often called for reworks.

In this thread, I present my list of houserules (listed in red) which have the sole purpose of trying to make bad options good, and the best options merely great. In doing so, I hope to allow players at my table a greater breadth of concepts to explore, simply by making everything worth playing. These changes are to the races and subraces of the PHB, to flesh out some of the less robust options.

Races
One minor change which impacts a handful of races is that any feature which lets you add double your proficiency to a certain use of a skill now applies to all ability checks for that use. For example, stonecunning now allows you to add double your proficiency to any check related to the origin of stonework.

Dark Elf (Drow)
Light Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when trying to perceive something in an area of bright light. (Replaces Sunlight Sensitivity)
Sunlight sensitivity is such a huge disincentive that it holds back most races with it. I replace it with the much more moderate light sensitivity, which effectively turns bright light into dim light for Perception. A moderate penalty, but relatively niche.
Halfling
Halfling Nimbleness. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours. In addition, you can use Dexterity instead of Strength for Athletics checks made to climb, jump, or swim.
Official halflings seem like the least robust of the common races, so I return a small bit of their athleticism from v3.5, which hopefully makes them seem like a worthwhile choice for something like an archer or monk.
Human
Tenacity. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw and have disadvantage on the roll, you can cancel the disadvantage for that roll. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
I add an impactful unique racial feature which paints humans as unlikely heroes pulling clutch victories. On top of that, I give them the same skill that variant humans get.
Human, Variant
Feat. You gain one feat of your choice, which must increase an ability score.
Variant human is one of the most popular races in the game because of the sheer number of combos it enables and the fact that it can access certain features before anyone else. I restrict them to only half-feats, which still means they have their uses, but they are no longer the race against which all others are measured.
Dragonborn
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Breath Weapon. When you take the Attack action, you can forgo one attack to exhale destructive energy. Your draconic ancestry determines the size, shape, and damage type of the exhalation.
When you use your breath weapon, each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a saving throw, the type of which is determined by your draconic ancestry. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d8 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d8 at 5th level, 4d8 at 11th level, and 5d8 at 17th level.
After you use your breath weapon, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
I believe adding darkvision to the dragonborn is one of the most common houserules out there.

As far as actually addressing their power, I make the breath weapon a part of their attack. This is specifically to benefit martial characters more than spellcasters, because I believe this race should be geared towards martial classes.
Half-Elf
Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Official half-elves are arguably the most versatile race in the Player's Handbook. I pull them down to normal by removing one skill.
Tiefling
Deft Tail. You can grasp things with your tail. It can lift a number of pounds equal to twice your Strength score. You can use it to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object; or open or close a door or a container.
Your tail can't wield weapons or shields or do anything that requires manual precision, such as using tools or magic items or performing the somatic components of a spell.
Official tieflings are surprising lacking in any ribbons to make them feel unique. I add one feature to build upon their unique physiology and promote some mischievous activity.
For my thoughts on other races and subraces outside the PHB, please take a look at my other file Detect Greater Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XQ9shwsH5tu2s4Nt4J2Lie-pY4_G8CYhjB-yuJ7FlTk/edit?usp=sharing).