PDA

View Full Version : What would you say thes gauntlets are made out of?

eyebreaker7
2020-11-01, 11:11 PM
https://village.photos/images/user/c305cbbe-e053-4c83-8f55-e8d66ccfa88f/f2aa0c9b-8898-4c83-b2d3-9d1cd9859818.png

They can shoot the 3 claw/spike looking things but I'm trying to decide what they are made out of. They can be used as spikes, claws or they can be shot out once per day each.
The fired spikes regenerate each day.

I got the idea from the look of the gauntlets and the ability of a Spined Shield:

This +1 heavy steel shield is covered in spines. It acts as a normal spiked shield. On command up to three times per day, the shield’s wearer can fire one of the shield’s spines. A fired spine has a +1 enhancement bonus, a range increment of 120 feet, and deals 1d10 points of damage (19-20/×2). Fired spines regenerate each day.

Moderate evocation; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic missile; Price 5,580 gp; Cost 2,740 gp + 223 XP.

Not sure about how much damage a spike should do. A normal spiked gauntlet only does 1d4 but
a hand crossbow bolt does 1d4
a light crossbow bolt does 1d8
a heavy crossbow bolt does 1d10

a light spiked shield does 1d4
a heavy spiked shield does 1d6

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-01, 11:45 PM
mainly from steel with some leather coverage. Further I assume some cloth inside for comfort.

for the damage I would say 1d4 if not even less. There is not enough space for a more powerful device to shoot the spikes in there.

eyebreaker7
2020-11-02, 12:11 AM
for the damage I would say 1d4 if not even less. There is not enough space for a more powerful device to shoot the spikes in there.

Space doesn't matter when magic comes into play :P Seriously though I'm thinking it's some kind of additional magic that allows a spined shield to fire spines that deal so much damage. So with magic powering the "launch" of the spikes I was thinking maybe a little more. 1d6 or maybe even 1d8? You only get 3 shots / day with each gauntlet so it wouldn't break the game.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-02, 02:50 AM
Space doesn't matter when magic comes into play :P Seriously though I'm thinking it's some kind of additional magic that allows a spined shield to fire spines that deal so much damage. So with magic powering the "launch" of the spikes I was thinking maybe a little more. 1d6 or maybe even 1d8? You only get 3 shots / day with each gauntlet so it wouldn't break the game.

It could do 1d12 and it still wouldn't be worth using unless it also added your str bonus (or another stat, but you get my point).
Single digit damage is somewhat appropriate at level 1-2 maybe, but at any point after that it's usually just a waste of actions.

There also wouldn't be much point getting a magical gauntlet that shoots spikes when you can do more damage throwing non-magical daggers.
Just look at the Spined Shield. You're basically paying 4000gp for a heavy crossbow +1 with a daily limit of 3 shots.

Is there a reason you can't just refluff the Gloves of Endless Javelins from MIC?

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-02, 03:00 AM
It could do 1d12 and it still wouldn't be worth using unless it also added your str bonus (or another stat, but you get my point).
Single digit damage is somewhat appropriate at level 1-2 maybe, but at any point after that it's usually just a waste of actions.

There also wouldn't be much point getting a magical gauntlet that shoots spikes when you can do more damage throwing non-magical daggers.
Just look at the Spined Shield. You're basically paying 4000gp for a heavy crossbow +1 with a daily limit of 3 shots.

Is there a reason you can't just refluff the Gloves of Endless Javelins from MIC?

^this.

If you want it because of style and still be somewhat usefull, consider to base the damage on the used spell for crafting it. There is nothing wrong in refluffing e.g. the magic missiles into spikes while keeping otherwise the same rules/dmg. Magic Missiles would be actually worth it against some enemies due to being a force effect.