PDA

View Full Version : Yklwa Usage

elyktsorb
2020-11-02, 06:20 AM
Is there any reason to not use a Yklwa out of the gate (as a monk) compared to any other weapon they can use? (Melee wise anyway)

Unoriginal
2020-11-02, 06:31 AM
Is there any reason to not use a Yklwa out of the gate (as a monk) compared to any other weapon they can use? (Melee wise anyway)

Sure:

-The Monk doesn't like it compared to other weapons, for example because it doesn't fit the aesthetic the player is going for.

-The Monk doesn't have access to it because they don't live in a place where Yklwa are sold.

-The Monk doesn't see the use of an Yklwa given that they can have the same damage die with a staff (and they don't like throwing their main weapon).

elyktsorb
2020-11-02, 06:36 AM
Sure:

-The Monk doesn't like it compared to other weapons, for example because it doesn't fit the aesthetic the player is going for.

-The Monk doesn't have access to it because they don't live in a place where Yklwa are sold.

-The Monk doesn't see the use of an Yklwa given that they can have the same damage die with a staff (and they don't like throwing their main weapon).

I mean yeah, valid. Except the Yklwa doesn't have to be thrown and it does a d8 without being 2 handed.

Aett_Thorn
2020-11-02, 06:39 AM
Ylkwas are rare weapons and generally not available outside of Chult. That’s the main reason.

elyktsorb
2020-11-02, 06:58 AM
Ylkwas are rare weapons and generally not available outside of Chult. That’s the main reason.

So basically there's no reason you couldn't start a game with one as long as it made sense backstory wise.

And if you happen to be in a setting where chult doesn't exist you might as well grab it and go.

There's also no reason a Yklwa would be found in regular modules, but I'm not really talking about having to keep finding one, just that it's a d8 at lvl 1 for a simple weapon where otherwise you'd be 2 handing a spear or staff, which isn't even a big deal for a monk. But I was curious if there was any reason to be picking something over a yklwa in terms of getting out of the gate.

nickl_2000
2020-11-02, 07:43 AM
Also because you DM doesn't include it in the game since it isn't in typical modules or the DMG.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-02, 07:51 AM
There's no real benefit to doing this for most (all?) Monks though, what's occupying your second hand that you can't two hand a staff?

As for whether or not you can start with it as long as you have a reason to, I'd say that's 100% a DM call seeing as the Yklwa isn't listed as starting equipment for any class and isn't in the PHB equipment table to be purchased with the starting gold option.

Unoriginal
2020-11-02, 08:01 AM
There's no real benefit to doing this for most (all?) Monks though, what's occupying your second hand that you can't two hand a staff?

Grappling, maybe?

elyktsorb
2020-11-02, 08:09 AM

As for whether or not you can start with it as long as you have a reason to, I'd say that's 100% a DM call seeing as the Yklwa isn't listed as starting equipment for any class and isn't in the PHB equipment table to be purchased with the starting gold option.

For the most part it really only pertains to grappling. (Which for my Tortle monk/barbarian it is actually a situation to address, but since he's a Tortle he can feasibly start with a Yklwa)

Outside of like, playing in adventurers league, I wouldn't see any dm having an issue with using a Yklwa since the only thing is has over a spear is being able to do a d8 while grappling someone. But then a spear has twice the thrown range

MoiMagnus
2020-11-02, 08:16 AM
If that's available, that's the best weapon for the Monk.

Up to my knowledge, Yklwa are only in the book "Tomb of Annihilation", so by default doesn't exist in the universe (ToA is not a valid player resource for AL, for example. Moreover, it is explicitly part of FR setting, so if you're not in FR, you have no book compatible with your setting with this weapon).

It would not surprise me if the lack of balance between the Yklwa and the PHB weapons was not just because ToA authors did not care about balancing this weapon, and wanted a "special weapon" for Chult that was better than pre-existing weapons.
[But then, Monk is not an overpowered class, so giving them a d8 instead of a d6 as it should have been will not break the game]

elyktsorb
2020-11-02, 09:07 AM
If that's available, that's the best weapon for the Monk.

Up to my knowledge, Yklwa are only in the book "Tomb of Annihilation", so by default doesn't exist in the universe (ToA is not a valid player resource for AL, for example. Moreover, it is explicitly part of FR setting, so if you're not in FR, you have no book compatible with your setting with this weapon).

It would not surprise me if the lack of balance between the Yklwa and the PHB weapons was not just because ToA authors did not care about balancing this weapon, and wanted a "special weapon" for Chult that was better than pre-existing weapons.
[But then, Monk is not an overpowered class, so giving them a d8 instead of a d6 as it should have been will not break the game]

I mean I don't know if I'd call it over powered since the whole grappling while having a weapon that's on a d8 is literally all it has going for it. And this is only on a monk as well because barbs could use better weapons and rogues would want a weapon with finesse

MoiMagnus
2020-11-02, 09:43 AM
I mean I don't know if I'd call it over powered since the whole grappling while having a weapon that's on a d8 is literally all it has going for it. And this is only on a monk as well because barbs could use better weapons and rogues would want a weapon with finesse

Yes, that's only useful for the Monk. But it does slightly more than allowing grappling. You also have an empty hand for catching arrows (Deflect Missile), spell components (if you take Magic Initiate), and various other uses (easier fighting while climbing a ladder, etc).
Nothing "overpowered", but it's definitely a weapon superior to other simple weapons. To fit 5e design space, it should have been d6 or a martial weapon, but the former would have made this weapon boring, and the latter would have make the weapon inaccessible to Monks.

x3n0n
2020-11-02, 10:21 AM
Yes, that's only useful for the Monk. But it does slightly more than allowing grappling. You also have an empty hand for catching arrows (Deflect Missile), spell components (if you take Magic Initiate), and various other uses (easier fighting while climbing a ladder, etc).
Nothing "overpowered", but it's definitely a weapon superior to other simple weapons. To fit 5e design space, it should have been d6 or a martial weapon, but the former would have made this weapon boring, and the latter would have make the weapon inaccessible to Monks.

FWIW, among the given examples, many tables would be ok with a two-handed weapon, and certainly a versatile one. As far as I can tell, it only needs to occupy both hands while you're actually making a two-handed attack, not while you're just carrying it between turns.

Under that assumption, grappling and attacking while using a hand to climb would be affected, but Deflect Missiles and S-without-M spells would not. S+M spells end up in a very awkward space, but not appreciably worse than a one-handed weapon, except for opportunity attacks.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-02, 10:30 AM
Forget Monks - it's the only one-handed Simple weapon which deals 1d8 damage in the game. It's not broken, except in so far as it's the obvious mechanically best choice.

nickl_2000
2020-11-02, 10:32 AM
Forget Monks - it's the only one-handed Simple weapon which deals 1d8 damage in the game. It's not broken, except in so far as it's the obvious mechanically best choice.

At least it doesn't qualify for PAM.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-02, 11:04 AM
Is there any reason to not use a Yklwa out of the gate (as a monk) compared to any other weapon they can use? (Melee wise anyway) A spear that is used two-handed does the same damage and can be effectively thrown a bit further. Monks rarely use shields.
Forget Monks - it's the only one-handed Simple weapon which deals 1d8 damage in the game. It's not broken, except in so far as it's the obvious mechanically best choice.It should be a martial weapon :smallsmile: *ducks*

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-03, 04:27 AM
It should be a martial weapon :smallsmile: *ducks*

I mean yeah, probably.

rlc
2020-11-03, 06:47 AM
At least it doesn't qualify for PAM.

And that’s a good reason not to use it. The second benefit of PAM is better than an average of one more damage that you’re going to be getting eventually anyway.

Laserlight
2020-11-03, 06:43 PM

Which doesn't make sense. Physically, it's a shortsword on a stick. There's no reason for them to be rare, if they're mechanically better than other simple weapons.

Segev
2020-11-03, 06:46 PM
Which doesn't make sense. Physically, it's a shortsword on a stick. There's no reason for them to be rare, if they're mechanically better than other simple weapons.

They're better to encourage players to consider them in the campaign module they appear in.

Sigreid
2020-11-03, 06:54 PM
All I can say is if I were your DM that I wouldn't care and would let you use it.