PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Can someone give me a quick pro/con of using Inkarnate for a homebrew campaign?

Adar
2020-11-03, 10:49 PM
So, I'm just looking at what resources are out there for helping in campaign creation and it seems like Inkarnate is very popular. Would people who are more familiar with that system be willing to give a quick rundown on pros and cons of using it?

Composer99
2020-11-04, 08:53 AM
The pro is that the maps looks really nice. I use it myself and I like how they've turned out.

The con is that Inkarnate isn't much of a campaign tool - it's a map-generating tool. That's fine, in and of itself, but that's what it does - no campaign management. (Also, if you really like running hexcrawls, I think other tools might be better suited.)

Granting, I've dedicated more wordcount to the cons over the pros, but being an Inkarnate user, I do think the pros outweigh them.

Lupine
2020-11-10, 08:34 AM
I have used Inkarnate, In my eyes, inkarnate is relatively limited, and definately hamstrings you if you're only using the free vision.

pro: Inkarnate maps will frequently come out looking really good if you are skilled, and allow from great versatility. Inkarnate is a very artistic software.
con: Inkarnate is very difficult to use, and as mentioned, very artistic. As a result, it struggles somewhat when the "guiding hand" isn't as skilled. Also on that note, inkarnate is a huge time sink. While I enjoy putting time into things to make them look good, every minute I spend on the map is a minute I don't spend on my story.

up to you.

Personally, I use wonderdraft, because it's quicker, has similarly great results, and is eaiser to use. Also, it's a "pay once" software, so that's nice. Also cool, if you want a different feel for your map (say, sci-fi or oriental, rather than western), you can import 3rd party assets that are frequently free.