PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Elvish ... Things

HoboKnight
2020-11-04, 04:32 AM
I'm currently running a campaign for a group, that play young elves, living in an elven forest village. So far, they trained in mock combat, did a little bit of fores exploration (always guarded by a few stealthed experienced elven rangers). I'm however thinking, I'd like to include a few more "elven" things in my campaign - events, my group could prove with, to the elven elders, that they are "adults". I was thinking, tenents of Corellon are pretty good inspiration:

>He was the creator and preserver of the Tel'Quessir, governing those things held in the highest esteem among elves, such as magic, music, arts, crafts, poetry, and warfare.

I was thinking, I might give my players options, to engage in such feats. Nothing really dangerous, of course, but going in an non-intrusive way: Hey guys, you might really impress village elders by doing X. I already have some ideas like elder being impressed by other young elves doing such things: Composing a really neat ode, perhaps working really hard to master spells, or a young elf, that has already proven herself, returning with the elven ranger hunters, speaking of a dozen orcs, she killed.

Something for my guys to prove to (very protective) elven community, they are mature, they can handle themselves and that they are not "babies" anymore.

Got any suggestions? :)

thanks

Unoriginal
2020-11-04, 06:09 AM
I'm currently running a campaign for a group, that play young elves, living in an elven forest village. So far, they trained in mock combat, did a little bit of fores exploration (always guarded by a few stealthed experienced elven rangers). I'm however thinking, I'd like to include a few more "elven" things in my campaign - events, my group could prove with, to the elven elders, that they are "adults". I was thinking, tenents of Corellon are pretty good inspiration:

>He was the creator and preserver of the Tel'Quessir, governing those things held in the highest esteem among elves, such as magic, music, arts, crafts, poetry, and warfare.

I was thinking, I might give my players options, to engage in such feats. Nothing really dangerous, of course, but going in an non-intrusive way: Hey guys, you might really impress village elders by doing X. I already have some ideas like elder being impressed by other young elves doing such things: Composing a really neat ode, perhaps working really hard to master spells, or a young elf, that has already proven herself, returning with the elven ranger hunters, speaking of a dozen orcs, she killed.

Something for my guys to prove to (very protective) elven community, they are mature, they can handle themselves and that they are not "babies" anymore.

Got any suggestions? :)

thanks

Well for starter Corellon uses "they" as pronoun, not "he".

Second, elves are considered adults once they stop dreaming of their past lives, so whatever task they do should reflect that. Probably a several-days-training exercise where they have to demonstrate their individuality, like a trek in a part of the forest they don't know, without a map or anything to guide them, and they have to go to a set rendez-vous point.

Spriteless
2020-11-04, 08:42 AM
Well for starter Corellon uses "they" as pronoun, not "he".

Was this stated anywhere? I mean, I know C. has been genderfluid since at least the original Deities and Demigods, but I don't recall C. preferring 'they' to any particular gender they pass through.

If you want to use Mordenkainen's lore, it's fine. I never liked it, because it is melodramatic. It also changes earlier lore, where elves are fully capable of sleep, but are trained to trance instead because it's healthier for someone who lives 100s of years to revisit their memories regularly. Which explanation is better for your campaign? (Ask your players!)

Some ideas come to mind:
Craft a nice bow or lute. The twist is, using it yourself will prove you don't understand community yet, true maturity is lending it to a friend who lends it to another friend before you get it back.

Befriend a wild animal, a unicorn, or a forest spirit. (This friend can become an adventure patron or a hostage later on.)

Observe a cool natural or magical phenomenon. Aurora Borealis too far south, or an ominous conjunction, or The Nightwalker, or some other sign that needs research to figure out. If you're already involved in something serious, you might be able to leverage that to be allowed to participate like a grownup.

Xervous
2020-11-04, 10:35 AM
Was this stated anywhere? I mean, I know C. has been genderfluid since at least the original Deities and Demigods, but I don't recall C. preferring 'they' to any particular gender they pass through.

Looks like recent marketing unique to 5e. My on hand 2e and 3e sources use he.

Why they didn’t flip flop to have a default female Corellon on any editions... seems like a loss on plot but then again that’s not the Realms.

Hannibal78
2020-11-04, 01:15 PM
If you ok with the idea, elves can come from Feywild. At the moment there are options to move between the farie world and Faerun.
Either some of the elf who live in the Feywild can visit they fellow kins. There can be celebrations, conspiracy. Even the players can visit the Feywild for a short time.
Then you can use anything from example the Lord of the Rings, or anything from Celtics mythology.
For me Titania summer court was described like Myth Drannor and the Mythal what was in Myth Drannor. With that Mythal even they can experience some wonder of the faerie's-High Elves.
You can find the description of the Mythal in the "Cormanthyr" book.
And if you want to watch over your player later and longer without them to know, if you are using " The Mythal Ghost" feature from the power of the Mythal. You can find on the 146 page, but read what's before. This Mythal ghost can stay with the players as long as you want, and also you can control it, but can give a realy unique taste for your game and for your players without overpowering.

Catullus64
2020-11-04, 03:12 PM
I can't help but notice you posted about this campaign earlier today, mentioning items that would mark their passage into maturity. Why not have the retrieval of those items, from some abandoned crypt or profaned temple, be one of the rites of passage?

SirGraystone
2020-11-06, 03:16 PM
Some ideas come to mind:
Craft a nice bow or lute. The twist is, using it yourself will prove you don't understand community yet, true maturity is lending it to a friend who lends it to another friend before you get it back.

Befriend a wild animal, a unicorn, or a forest spirit. (This friend can become an adventure patron or a hostage later on.)

I like that idea of crafting an item, send them on a quest to find a special oak for the material, only to find a dryad living in that tree. Then have her ask the group for help in return from a branch of her tree. Maybe a dwarf's mine is polluting the river coming to the forest.