PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire

Redhood101
2020-11-04, 08:26 AM
I've been playing and running dnd for a few years but always did homebrew settings. I'm playing in the Forgotten Realms for the first time, and I am rolling up an Arcana Cleric. The DM said I could make my own god or use one that already exists. I did some light research into the Mystra and read about this thing from older editions called Spellfire, which was a power people are born with that allows them to absorb spells and reuse the energy to heal people or buff their own spells, etc. Am I crazy, or does this seem to fit with the idea of an arcana cleric who can dispel magic effects on an ally and heal them at the same time?
Is this something worth trying to talk my DM into using as my cleric's backstory, or do I misunderstand it? Admittedly I've only done a small amount of research, but I haven't seen anyone else make the connection between Spellfire and the arcana domain. Still unsure if I'll use Mystra as I'm not entirely sure she matches up with my character's backstory besides the idea of a god of magic, as my character is sent from her temple to search for a rare magical artifact as a form of pilgrimage become becoming a full priest.
I would appreciate any clarification about Spellfire, Mystra, or if I should bribe my dm with dice until she lets me use it in my backstory.

Cikomyr2
2020-11-04, 08:56 AM
Spellfire was indeed some sort of divine gift from Mystra in the books I remember. You could spin it up as a divine domain powers sure. But maybe consider a type of Sorcerer bloodline? Or a Celestial Warlock?

SiCK_Boy
2020-11-04, 08:58 AM
Spellfire was not necessarily an inborn talent; many of Mystra’s Chosen were also granted that power.

The biggest question probably regards what exactly you intend to do with it. If you want mechanical power tied to Spellfire, you’re probably in for long discussions about lot of homebrew with your DM. I would not go there personnally.

However, pitching it as a way to represent how your clerical magic manifests would be a cool thing for a Cleric of Mystra. Treat it as pure fluff. When you cast a healing spell, it’s this purifying fire/light transferring from your body to the target. Protection magic generates a blinding fire shield around you. Things of that nature. Setting wise, I would present it as a more benign kind of Spellfire that the pre-Spellplague powers of Chosen of old; otherwise, you’d probably have every major player in the Realms chasing you to harness it (see the original Spellfire novel). It could still be treated as a bit of a special blessing / anomaly within the church of Mystra; senior clerics trying go figure out how / why the goddess smiled upon you this way, etc.

Unoriginal
2020-11-04, 09:01 AM
I've been playing and running dnd for a few years but always did homebrew settings. I'm playing in the Forgotten Realms for the first time, and I am rolling up an Arcana Cleric. The DM said I could make my own god or use one that already exists. I did some light research into the Mystra and read about this thing from older editions called Spellfire, which was a power people are born with that allows them to absorb spells and reuse the energy to heal people or buff their own spells, etc. Am I crazy, or does this seem to fit with the idea of an arcana cleric who can dispel magic effects on an ally and heal them at the same time?
Is this something worth trying to talk my DM into using as my cleric's backstory, or do I misunderstand it? Admittedly I've only done a small amount of research, but I haven't seen anyone else make the connection between Spellfire and the arcana domain. Still unsure if I'll use Mystra as I'm not entirely sure she matches up with my character's backstory besides the idea of a god of magic, as my character is sent from her temple to search for a rare magical artifact as a form of pilgrimage become becoming a full priest.
I would appreciate any clarification about Spellfire, Mystra, or if I should bribe my dm with dice until she lets me use it in my backstory.

Spellfire is a specific power of the Chosen of Mystra. It is given stats in one of the modules (Dragon Heist), in the statblock of Laeral Silverhand.

Spellfire (Recharges after a Long Rest).

Magical, heatless, silver fire harmlessly erupts from Laeral and surrounds her until she is incapacitated or until she uses an action to quench it. She gains one of the following benefits of her choice, which lasts until the silver fire ends:

-She can breathe underwater.
-She can survive without food and water.
-She is immune to magic that would ascertain her thoughts, truthfulness, alignment, or creature type.
-She gains resistance to cold damage, and she is unharmed by temperatures as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit.

While the silver fire is present, she has the following additional action options:

-Cast the cure wounds spell. The target regains 1d8 + 5 hit points. After Laeral takes this action, roll a d6. On a roll of 1, the silver fire disappears.

-Cast the revivify spell without material components. After Laeral takes this action, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-2, the silver fire disappears.

-Release a 60-foot line of silver fire that is 5 feet wide or a 30-foot cone of silver fire. Objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried take 26 (4d12) fire damage. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw, taking 26 (4d12) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. After Laeral takes this action, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-3, the silver fire disappears.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-04, 09:22 AM
Spellfire is a specific power of the Chosen of Mystra. It is given stats in one of the modules (Dragon Heist), in the statblock of Laeral Silverhand.If you were going to sub that into a PC, what level would you do this at? I am thinking level 14. Close?

Unoriginal
2020-11-04, 11:03 AM
If you were going to sub that into a PC, what level would you do this at? I am thinking level 14. Close?

If it was at my table, I would probably have it be a Boon starting at either lvl 1 or when the PC earns Mystra's favors, with only some of the benefits, and have it become more powerful as they accomplish feats the goddess approves of.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-04, 11:14 AM
If it was at my table, I would probably have it be a Boon starting at either lvl 1 or when the PC earns Mystra's favors, with only some of the benefits, and have it become more powerful as they accomplish feats the goddess approves of. Good idea, unlock with level
Heck, almost like turning on Domain features? :smallsmile:

Homebrew idea: Spellfire Domain Cleric ... Go! (I may have time for that this weekend, your idea intrigues me since my brother includes mystra in his pantheon in his world where I Co DM).

Unoriginal
2020-11-04, 11:18 AM
Good idea, unlock with level

I wouldn't do an "unlock with level" thing, more a "unlock with campaign events".

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-04, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't do an "unlock with level" thing, more a "unlock with campaign events". OK, that's a different mechanic but quite fitting for a deity pleased with a servant's performance.

Unoriginal
2020-11-04, 12:22 PM
Alternatively:

OP, did you or your DM take a look at the Odyssey of Theros book? Because there is a Piety system in it, where gods give the PC perks depending on how pleased they are with the PC.

Could be a good basis for what you want.

Redhood101
2020-11-04, 01:53 PM
Alternatively:

OP, did you or your DM take a look at the Odyssey of Theros book? Because there is a Piety system in it, where gods give the PC perks depending on how pleased they are with the PC.

Could be a good basis for what you want.

We did not. I haven't asked my DM about it yet because I wanted to make sure I understood the idea of Spellfire. I'm thinking I'll approach them by saying I want it as cool back story fluff and different visuals for my healing spells. IE healing touch surrounds the wound with a white healing flame. And play as an "I was born with this power but have no idea what it is, so I want to learn more" type thing—that clique.

HappyDaze
2020-11-04, 02:41 PM
Spellfire is a specific power of the Chosen of Mystra. It is given stats in one of the modules (Dragon Heist), in the statblock of Laeral Silverhand.

At one time, Spellfire and the CoMs' Silver Fire were different things.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-04, 02:44 PM
Am I crazy, or does this seem to fit with the idea of an arcana cleric who can dispel magic effects on an ally and heal them at the same time?
Is this something worth trying to talk my DM into using as my cleric's backstory, or do I misunderstand it?

I think it can work very well! It just requires changing the appearance of your spells and Channel Divinity. Shooting a huge gout of Silver Flame from your hands that has no heat, nor does any harm, but dispels Elementals, Fiends, and Fey is very much inline with the spirit of the novel, Spellfire.

Please do keep in mind, Spellfire was not introduced into D&D, as an RPG product. The concept was created for a Forgotten Realms Novel.
In AD&D terms, being able to heal and blast was something the ruleset actively tried to keep separate.

(I love Ed Greenwood, but I always thought as a game designer, he gave the players too much, especially for AD&D)

5e as a ruleset, has no such restrictions. Describing Spirit Guardians as a constant field of Silver Flames that harms everyone, except those you chose to exclude, is pretty close to something that happened in the Spellfire novel, in 1987.

I think this sounds like a super fun character.

MrStabby
2020-11-04, 04:10 PM
As an alternative, consider war wizard. You get the arcane feel but also you get the ability to absorb power from the spells of others.

If allowed, the house Jorasco race from Eberron will give you the clerics healing abilities. It might be the feel you want?