PDA

View Full Version : infernal wounds vs construct and undead

newguydude1
2020-11-04, 11:59 AM
Infernal Wound (Su)

The damage a bearded devil deals with its glaive causes a persistent wound. An injured creature loses 2 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 16 Heal check, a cure spell, or a heal spell. However, a character attempting to cast a cure spell or a heal spell on a creature damaged by a bearded devil’s glaive must succeed on a DC 16 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character.

A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The infernal wound is a supernatural ability of the bearded devil, not of the weapon. The check DC is Constitution-based.

ok so theres no language here that says it doesnt work on constructs or undead.
constructs and undead dont have anything in their type description saying theyre immune to it.

but i just cant get over the fact that a golem will bleed to death, and you need a heal check to stop the bleeding on the golem, and casting repair light damage wont stop it either on the account of it not being a cure or heal spell.

so is there something somewhere that says constructs and undead are immune to this?

Venger
2020-11-04, 12:26 PM
No. There is not.

ShurikVch
2020-11-04, 12:38 PM
It's a very obvious rules dysfunction (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?267985-Completely-Dysfunctional-Handbook-3-5): "All creatures are living Medium-sized Humanoids" bias strikes again

Venger
2020-11-04, 12:55 PM
What's dysfunctional about it? It's supernatural so is a magical attack. It's not even called out as specifically being bleed damage or caused by blood loss. If it bothers you, say some of the magic energy animating the construct/undead is leaking out.

GrayDeath
2020-11-04, 02:37 PM
Indeed.

It could (and I think it more likey) simply be that the attack transfers a part of the Devils energy that simply slowly kills wherever it lands.

It is however true that many many rules could do with a going ove rand clarifying some interactions.

Maybe sligthly less than 70% of them.^^

Psyren
2020-11-04, 02:42 PM
so is there something somewhere that says constructs and undead are immune to this?

Yes. The GM :smallbiggrin:

But by RAW, no, this affects every creature type.

newguydude1
2020-11-04, 02:49 PM
ok so a golem with infernal wounds, you need a heal check cause golems are immune to cure wound spells and repair light damage isnt a cure spell.

i guess my wizard is gonna invest in heal then...

JNAProductions
2020-11-04, 03:21 PM
ok so a golem with infernal wounds, you need a heal check cause golems are immune to cure wound spells and repair light damage isnt a cure spell.

i guess my wizard is gonna invest in heal then...

As a DM, I'd certainly allow Repair Light Damage or any other repair spell to work on stopping the infernal wound.

Thurbane
2020-11-04, 04:07 PM
Suddenly Summon Monster V seems like a good tactic against golems (and other constructs/undead that don't have the means to stop the damage).

Cruiser1
2020-11-05, 01:16 PM
As a DM, I'd certainly allow Repair Light Damage or any other repair spell to work on stopping the infernal wound.Similarly, as a DM I'd certainly allow Inflict Light Wounds, Harm, or any other negative energy "healing" spell to work on stopping the infernal wound on undead.

newguydude1
2020-11-05, 01:20 PM
my dm is raw or die. so... gotta take the good with the bad i guess.

Psyren
2020-11-05, 07:05 PM
my dm is raw or die.

Then you have your answer.

the_tick_rules
2020-11-05, 11:54 PM
hook yourself up with a periapt of wound closure. it says it stops bleeding and allows healing of wounds that do not heal normally.

sreservoir
2020-11-06, 12:24 AM
You can still cast cure/heal spells on constructs and undead to stop the effect, though. They won't get any healing (undead will take damage, even), but it'll still stop the hit point loss.

newguydude1
2020-11-06, 12:30 AM
You can still cast cure/heal spells on constructs and undead to stop the effect, though. They won't get any healing (undead will take damage, even), but it'll still stop the hit point loss.

target is living creature so no i cant. cant cast spells on invalid targets.

Thurbane
2020-11-06, 12:42 AM
target is living creature so no i cant. cant cast spells on invalid targets.

Welll...the target line of Cure spells actually says "Target: Creature touched". The description then says "When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).". Also, you can specifically use the spells (to harm) on Undead, so target does not need to be living.

So while you can't actually heal damage on a non-living creature, they are still valid targets to receive the spell.

newguydude1
2020-11-06, 12:52 AM
Welll...the target line of Cure spells actually says "Target: Creature touched". The description then says "When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).". Also, you can specifically use the spells (to harm) on Undead, so target does not need to be living.

So while you can't actually heal damage on a non-living creature, they are still valid targets to receive the spell.

alright! thanks you and sreservoir! i dont need to invest in heal now. awesome.