PDA

View Full Version : Midgard craftin

Raishoiken
2020-11-04, 05:22 PM
Midgard dwarves are 8HD crafty rascals from frostburn that get to ignore the prerequisites (specifically "considered to have the prerequisites") for crafting the magic items they have the bonus feats for racially. The only issue is, they don't have spellcasting. The only magical abilities they have are their CL 20 curse and their alternate form abilities. Outside of those, they have nothing else to draw a caster level from for their magic items.

Given this; do they just have a flat CL 20 derived from their curse ability for making magic items with, or does it not matter given their special ability?

GrayDeath
2020-11-04, 05:58 PM
I would assume the second, and that for items with varying CL requirements, they would simply fulfill the bare minimum.

Still, making these nifty guys worthwhile is ahrd, given that for 4 hd more you could do the same but also ahve all the OTHER advantages of a Warlock.^^

sreservoir
2020-11-04, 07:14 PM
Most magic items don't have a CL requirement in the first place, except that their caster level can't be set lower than the minimum required for the spells used, which is class-dependent.

The upper CL limit for a magic item you're creating is the creator's level, and this doesn't technically have anything to do with the spells actually being used. (There are magic items that require no spells, too.)

Bphill561
2020-11-04, 08:52 PM
I would assume the second, and that for items with varying CL requirements, they would simply fulfill the bare minimum.

Still, making these nifty guys worthwhile is ahrd, given that for 4 hd more you could do the same but also ahve all the OTHER advantages of a Warlock.^^

They do make neat NPC's though, especially as a crafter to mix into a dwarven settlement. The most useful I have seen them in play for PC's was when I shapechanged into one to do some crafting. But what does not happen at high levels with shapechange.