PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Anyway for Artificer to get Find Steed spell?

Citadel97501
2020-11-04, 06:32 PM
Anyway for Artificer to get Find Steed spell? I was just wondering if there is anyway to do this, as I was thinking of a mounted artillerist character instead of the gnomish battlesmith?

Rusvul
2020-11-04, 06:40 PM
Not to my knowledge (although I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something). However, Find Steed isn't that much better than just buying a horse--you might be better served by just setting aside some gold for a steady stream of warhorses.

You could try asking your DM if they'll permit you to create a figurine of wondrous power as an infusion? The Ebony Fly and the Goats of Travel and Terror all serve as pretty capable mounts.

Rara1212
2020-11-04, 06:45 PM
Can't you replicate a Ring of Spell storing? Can't remember.
If you can(or if you get one as loot) you can have somebody with that spell cast it into the ring. Then you take it & cast it.
Same can be done for Find Familiar, or Greater Steed

ftafp
2020-11-04, 06:46 PM
Taking Phantom Steed is probably your best bet. You can get it from the Mark of Passage or from 5 levels of wizard. Being that you're going for an artillerist though, it would probably be cooler if you refluffed it as building a motorcycle and blasting your wand at people while doing some sicknasty wheelies

MaxWilson
2020-11-04, 07:46 PM
The Maverick Artificer subclass (think: mad scientist) from Exploring Eberron has its own equivalent of Magical Secrets, could choose paladin as your breakthrough spell list and get it that way. However, FYI if you ever swap out Find Steed you lose any ongoing benefits from previous castings (the steed goes away).

ftafp
2020-11-04, 08:52 PM
I feel like artificer should get access to all the modern magic spells from UA. among them is find vehicle

JackPhoenix
2020-11-04, 10:30 PM
The Maverick Artificer subclass (think: mad scientist) from Exploring Eberron has its own equivalent of Magical Secrets, could choose paladin as your breakthrough spell list and get it that way. However, FYI if you ever swap out Find Steed you lose any ongoing benefits from previous castings (the steed goes away).

Exploring Eberron is 3rd party book. It's from Keith Baker, but it's not from WotC, so that's may not be very helpful.

Ring of Spell Storing and friend with the spell is propably the best official option.... at 14+, scrolls are also a possibility.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-05, 01:45 AM
Exploring Eberron is 3rd party book. It's from Keith Baker, but it's not from WotC, so that's may not be very helpful.

Ring of Spell Storing and friend with the spell is propably the best official option.... at 14+, scrolls are also a possibility.

Or going to the biggest temple in the area and making a generous donation as you ask the paladins to cast it for you.
In a big enough city with enough gold you may get the greater version.

You can always ask your friendly college of steeds bard.

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-05, 05:01 AM
Ritual caster

RedMage125
2020-11-05, 06:18 AM

Which is too bad. It's an AMAZING book, I cannot sing its praises enough. Not only is the lore and fluff outstanding, the crunchy bits are great, too. The new Monk Discipline and Druid circle are awesome. And new races, including playable Gnolls!

diplomancer
2020-11-05, 07:32 AM
Ritual caster

Find steed is not a ritual spell

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-05, 09:02 AM
Find steed is not a ritual spell

Haha, i was thinking Phantom Steed.

Aquillion
2020-11-05, 01:06 PM
A Ring of Spell Storing will do it, provided you have someone to cast the spell into it in the first place. Of course, you need your DM to give one to you.

Sception
2020-11-06, 10:25 AM
13 cha plus 5 level multiclass into paladin?

13 cha plus 6 level multiclass into lore bard?

Homebrew feat or divine boon?

No easy, by the book method.

Bilbron
2020-11-06, 01:47 PM
Taking Phantom Steed is probably your best bet. You can get it from the Mark of Passage or from 5 levels of wizard. Being that you're going for an artillerist though, it would probably be cooler if you refluffed it as building a motorcycle and blasting your wand at people while doing some sicknasty wheelies

Still too new to post URLs, but I have a 5 minute video on my channel that does a Deep Dive into Phantom Steed, one of the very best spells in the game! My channel is the D&D 5e Powergamer's Tactics Room.

Bilbron
2020-11-06, 01:49 PM
Anyway for Artificer to get Find Steed spell? I was just wondering if there is anyway to do this, as I was thinking of a mounted artillerist character instead of the gnomish battlesmith?
Ring of Spell Storing or Svirfneblin Spell Gem are the only ways without 3rd party options.

MaxWilson
2020-11-06, 02:09 PM
Still too new to post URLs, but I have a 5 minute video on my channel that does a Deep Dive into Phantom Steed, one of the very best spells in the game! My channel is the D&D 5e Powergamer's Tactics Room.

Here is the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Srz5D1URFc

I like that you deliberately avoid playing the ratings game and just talk about how to use it. Good insights, good communication style. The idea of using a "dead" Phantom Steed as half cover before it fades away is amusing but surprisingly plausible. Never occurred to me before. Phantom Steed + Spider Climb is also a hilarious and plausible thought.

Good video! Relevant to OP via Magic Initiate feat. The idea of a whole party riding Phantom Steeds up walls and across ceilings of a cavern (thanks to an Artificer with Magic Initiate: Wizard who chooses Spider Climb for his Spell Storing Item) is... interesting, no?

Bilbron
2020-11-06, 02:13 PM
I like that you deliberately avoid playing the ratings game and just talk about how to use it. Good insights, good communication style. The idea of using a "dead" Phantom Steed as half cover before it fades away is amusing but surprisingly plausible. Never occurred to me before.

Thanks, bro! Much obliged for sharing the link.

MaxWilson
2020-11-06, 02:18 PM
Thanks, bro! Much obliged for sharing the link.

FWIW you should be able to share your own links even now just by writing e.g.

h.ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Srz5D1URFc (remove the extra "." from https)

Littlemike137
2020-11-07, 12:22 PM
Good video! Relevant to OP via Magic Initiate feat. The idea of a whole party riding Phantom Steeds up walls and across ceilings of a cavern (thanks to an Artificer with Magic Initiate: Wizard who chooses Spider Climb for his Spell Storing Item) is... interesting, no?

This idea is just too good, but you’d better watch out that the group of kobolds who’ve been watching the party don’t panic at the wall climbing and start raining arrows. You might need to start thinking of ways to avoid a nasty fall if you do this regularly is all I’m saying.