PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Intelligent Skull Friend + Summon Undead Spirit

RittenRemedy
2020-11-05, 12:49 AM
One of my players has a very weird and wonderful character concept, and part of that is he wanted a talking skull intelligent item. He is playing a Celestial warlock with the backstory that he was a necromancer, and when he accidentally killed his friend, he wanted to turn over a new leaf. The skull is his friend's. He roll plays them as the two old men from the muppets.

He also had the idea that maybe he can build an animated body for Skully. I of course think this is a fabulous idea. We agreed that the Celestial banned certain necromantic spells (like animating unconsenting, sentient bodies as penance) but that he could build and animate a monster skeleton for Skully.

I'd like to modify the spell just a bit, without making it completely OP. And I'm fine with it being advantageous, them having one neat item or super power makes them happy and gives me an excuse to throw bigger stuff at them. I was thinking:

He'll use the INT, WIS, and CHA from the intelligent item stats.
If Skully is destroyed in skeletal form, he'll need to replace damaged bones.
I'm swapping deathly touch and grave bolt, and melee damage scales with the size of the body (d6, d8, or d10)

I'd like to have the reward for this player's side quest/personal story bits be to a power boost for Skully and give him the full Intelligent Item stats. Does removing the concentration seem like a very bad idea?

Any tweaks or other ideas? Any ideas for what kind of quest we could do??