PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite names

Zakama
2007-11-03, 08:05 PM
I need a name for my main character in a novel I'm writing for NaNoWriMo. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61764)
What are your guys favorite names?

Don Julio Anejo
2007-11-03, 08:19 PM
Well, I've already decided that if I have a daughter, I'll name her Kelly.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-03, 08:22 PM
I've always liked Virgil and Isaac.

Volug
2007-11-03, 08:24 PM
Peirs, Nergel, Eliwood, Ephriam, Neilia... Yeah I got lots.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-03, 08:25 PM
I always liked the name Ezekiel, I tend to use it for villainous characters.

Reinboom
2007-11-03, 08:25 PM
Reina... ;P
Yuki
Mikayla
Jonas
Toby

... and numerous other random, mostly Japanese in origin, names.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-11-03, 08:46 PM
Derivatives of "Rain" and "Darkness", variously.

...if that makes sense?

Harlequin
2007-11-03, 08:54 PM
Erasmus. Barring that, Eric or Jason. Fiona or Naomi for girls' names.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-03, 08:59 PM
Girls
Lorelai
Aurora
Ivy

Guys
Mordecai
Orion
Sean

Those'll be my children's names if I have any say in the matter.

rubakhin
2007-11-03, 09:07 PM
I tend to overuse the names Allen, Ivan, and Ilya in whatever I've written.

My favorite names are Mariusz and Tadeusz, but they're Polish and therefore not particularly pronounceable. Before I started going by my patronymic, my middle name was Dorian, that's a nice one ... and my first name is Sevastian, would be nice to see more Sevastians running around ...if I had kids I'd probably name them Alexei or Julia, or Aleksander/Aleksandra after their uncle.

Om
2007-11-03, 09:39 PM
Alexandre Vinokourov. A pity he was a cheat in the end :smallfrown:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-11-03, 10:18 PM
Dion!
Roland!

Em Blackleaf
2007-11-03, 10:31 PM
Girls: Grace, Rose, Ellen (Elle, Elena, etc.), Susan, and, of course, Emily!

Guys: Jorge, Max, Dane, Garrett, and Jason.

de-trick
2007-11-03, 10:36 PM
guys Rosco, Matt, Turner

girls Robyn, lily, Desiree, Amanda, Cassy, Katherine, Jenna, Stacy

averagejoe
2007-11-03, 10:45 PM
Doug
Damien
May
Dominique
Jack
Lily

Setra
2007-11-03, 11:37 PM
Well if I have a Daughter I'll suggest her name be Reyna.

Male names I dunno. Did you want a 'real' name, also is the character male or female?

Others: Leon, Casey, Adam, Sophie

Amotis
2007-11-03, 11:45 PM
I like the name Chris for either sex.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-11-03, 11:47 PM
Ah, the great dilemma of conjuring a name for fiction. This is where the phone book becomes your hero. Good old John Mills won't mind you altering his name to Jon-mil for your fantasy story. Just open to random pages until you find a name that suits your fancy. :smallsmile:

The_Chilli_God
2007-11-03, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but if you use the phone book, then you can no longer add the "Any resemblance of these characters to real life persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental" clause to that page right before the title page.
Of course, this would also rule out the newspaper's obituaries, which is where I get my names from.

<_< >_>

Setra
2007-11-04, 04:49 AM
I have like.. a set list of names I'll use for fiction, based on some roleplaying I used to do when I was younger.

Out of boredom I'll try to remember them all

Spoiler'd, in case the list gets long.

Elykial
Kakan
Reyna
Leon
Kael
Sophie
Miku
Daeus
Chi (Not to be confused with Chii)
Seige
Crane
Soloagino
Dorsalamor
Mya
Kinoko
Shino
Kanom
Kouhai
Kimi
Vyarra
Setra
Sharika
About half the names were used by friends of mine, and the other half were ones I would come up with randomly (for new characters, or children).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-04, 05:19 AM
My favourite names are:

Jan (as the Polish version of John, not a short form of Janet)
Oswald
Isaac
Salome
Myfanawy
Christabelle

Eldred
2007-11-04, 06:06 AM
For my writing I tend to use BehindtheName (http://www.behindthename.com/) to get names with suitable meanings for the character.

But that's just me :smallredface:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-04, 06:19 AM
Girls: Lily, Rose, Jade, Violet, Sam, Alia, Kris, Helen

Guys: Mark, Marcus, Felix, Nathan, Elijah, Gabriel

Meh. I like 'em. :smallredface:

Dihan
2007-11-04, 07:09 AM
Girls: Nicole, Rachel, Rhiannon, Sian

Boys: Tyler, Robert, Lloyd, Ioan

Serpentine
2007-11-04, 07:39 AM
Doug
I only like this one for this:

http://dhart.no-ip.info/pics/GL_Beware.gif

I like Linden for males and females. Xavier and Phillip... Unfortunately, I like the name Jezebel, too.

Redpieper
2007-11-04, 07:45 AM
I always liked the name Ezekiel, I tend to use it for villainous characters.

That's funny, my current D&D character is called Ezekiel. But he isn't evil, he's chaotic crazy :smallyuk:

Edit: to add to the thread, I like Damon and Velo :smallsmile:

Exeson
2007-11-04, 08:23 AM
Ithelus is a good one. Of course I like Exeson the best but that one is reserved for me. :smallbiggrin:

Reinboom
2007-11-04, 08:26 AM
Guys
Mordecai

I rarely hear/see this name. I must also agree though, it's an awesome name...
*snags for my list of important NPCs names to use*

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-04, 01:25 PM
Well, I could go on for hours :P Book Four in the series I'm writing is set in a girls' school, and I've started listing all the names I want to give to minor characters so I don't forget any of them. Doesn't matter if they're characters who only appear once, I just want the names to be used.

But I confess to disappointment. When I opened the thread, I was expecting it to be about favourite names for real people. Though admittedly some of the above posters have taken it that way.

When Valeran and I have children, the girls will be named Erika, Ruby, Carla and Theresa. Those are all my choices. In return she gets to name the boys. I'm fine about that because I don't really have any boys' names that I particularly like. Except Michael, my own name, but I like it as my own name, not as a name I would give to a son. For one thing, I don't think I could bear it if he preferred Mike (which I can't stand).

My favourite girls' names for fictional characters are Ruby (again) and Alexandra. Not coincidentally, those are the names of two of the main characters in my series.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-11-04, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but if you use the phone book, then you can no longer add the "Any resemblance of these characters to real life persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental" clause to that page right before the title page.
Of course, this would also rule out the newspaper's obituaries, which is where I get my names from.

<_< >_>

Incorrect, sir! You're not looking up John Smith, studying his life in detail, and then using him in your story. Just the name. After that, your fiction may well be coincidental. :smallsmile:

LCR
2007-11-04, 01:42 PM
Liev is one of my favourite names and so is Duncan. I also like Gaelic names, but I'm not sure if I'd actually name somebody like that. My German surname and those exotic names don't mix too well, I think.

Zakama
2007-11-04, 09:37 PM
Real names are fine, it's a Sci-fi story. And wow, I didn't expect this many replies! Thank you, I have a name now but if you really want to post another one hey I can't stop you. We could make a GitP pool of names for storys!

Orlando T. Jonas! I'm keeping the middle name secret, just in case. :smallwink:

averagejoe
2007-11-04, 11:03 PM
I only like this one for this:

http://dhart.no-ip.info/pics/GL_Beware.gif

I like Linden for males and females. Xavier and Phillip... Unfortunately, I like the name Jezebel, too.

Hehe, I'd forgotten about that. That IS pretty awsome. However, there's no "only" about it. Doug is a name with many other good qualities. :smalltongue:

The Pink Wonder
2007-11-06, 04:19 PM
Boys names:
Duncan
Bran
Peter
Mihael

Girls Names:
Nessa
Heidi
Rebecca

SurlySeraph
2007-11-06, 05:26 PM
Boys:
Daniel
Jason
Edmund
David

Girls:
Sarah
Emma
Sydney
Mary
Marian

eidreff
2007-11-06, 05:55 PM
I always thought that Shae and Flick (the two character from the Sword of Shannara) were great names.

Slartibartfast has gotta come top of any list.

Sisqui
2007-11-06, 07:58 PM
Girls:
Anarrah
Elaine
Gabriella
Isabella
Clarissa

Boys:
Rhys
Miles
Garrett
Samuel

Emrylon
2007-11-08, 11:34 AM
Most Welsh names are cool if you can pronounce them...

VetMichael
2007-11-08, 03:29 PM
Historically speaking, favorite name of all time is: Ethelric the Unready, Followed quickly by Pippin the Short, Pippin the Bald, and Pippin the Fat. Of course, Charles Martel (the Hammer) is a heroic-ish name, sorta :smallwink:

Vella_Malachite
2007-11-10, 04:48 AM
Girls: Marla, Christine (but not Christina) and Jenna.

Guys: Joshua

Random: Zinixia, Morvella.

Really, really insane name I made up:

Zinixia Morvella Belhannah Regina Lakeesha Belinda Crowthwaite

Cyrano
2007-11-10, 12:43 PM
Names with an X (Xavier), excessively English names (Hannelore Ellicot-Catham), female names WITHOUT purposeful mispellings (Sydney, as opposed to Siidnee), most uncommon biblical-sounding names (Melchior!) and generally anything out of the ordinary.

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-10, 01:02 PM
For guys: Daniel, Cain, Adam, George (for multiple reasons), Spencer, and Gabriel.

For girls: Elizabeth (or Liza for short), Beatrice, Lillie (for some reason, I prefer this spelling), Ella, Ellie, Emma, and my personal favorite for one reason or another, Emily.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-10, 02:05 PM
Historically speaking, favorite name of all time is: Ethelric the Unready, Followed quickly by Pippin the Short, Pippin the Bald, and Pippin the Fat. Of course, Charles Martel (the Hammer) is a heroic-ish name, sorta :smallwink:

Not Ethelric. Ethelred (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethelred_the_Unready).

Yes, I'm overreacting to a minor misspelling. I don't care.

dungeon_munky
2007-11-16, 02:59 PM
For girls, I'm a fan of Elizabeth, Rebecca, and Susan.

Male names, I'm less partial to, so I'd likely name boys after characters I like. Ernest, Algernon, Peter, James, Arthur, Westley, whatever.

Mad Scientist
2007-11-16, 03:35 PM
girls: Cassandra, Fiona, Minerva, Katrina
guys: Damion, Bainbridge, Mark

cats: Waffles, Newman :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2007-11-16, 05:47 PM
@V: I like Cassandra and Katrina as well, also Danielle, Catrin, Rose, Brekka, Gwynneth....

Boys...Robin, Farid, Christopher, Kialan...

having an unusual name myself, I would probably choose something equally distinctive for any children I may produce in the future. :smalltongue:

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-16, 05:52 PM
Brekka? I only know that as being a short for Breakfast. Not something you want to name your child, unless you have cannibalistic tendencies....

I would like to know what your "unusual name" is.... collecting unusual names is one of my passions. But, obviously, being a stranger and all that, I'll understand completely if you don't want to tell me.

And I also think that Cassandra and Katrina are pretty names.

GuesssWho
2007-11-17, 04:19 AM
Can't go wrong with myth names! They all sound cool.
Medusa, Cassandra, Hercules, Agamemnon, Midas . . . and that's just the Greek and Roman myths!

(My real name is an Irish myth name, by the way.)