PDA

View Full Version : Travel domain power RAW

Feldar
2020-11-06, 01:23 PM
I quote the granted power of the Travel domain from the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook:

For a total number of times per day of 1 round per cleric level you possess, you can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement.

The rest of it doesn't matter for the interpretation of effect.

Note that it does not say you get a freedom of movement spell for those rounds. It says you cannot be impeded magically as if you were under the effect of the spell.

As written, nothing here is a get out of grapple free card. If you want that, you need to actually be under freedom of movement (or another effect).

What I can't find is any clear ruling on this via errata and no sage advice.

What say ye? Is my interpretation incorrect as the domain is written?

Zanos
2020-11-06, 01:54 PM
RAW it seems this only applies the magical effect clause of FoM. So you are correct, no grapple immunity.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-07, 12:37 AM
Interesting, never noticed that. But I never used a build with TD so far, so I'm not a baddy^^
Thx for bringing this up ;)

Thurbane
2020-11-08, 04:35 PM
Yes, it's something a lot of tables overlook: ours did, for several years.

Your reading is correct: it offers no defense against non-magical things that impede your movement.

Doctor Awkward
2020-11-08, 04:57 PM
Correct. You treat the Travel Domain power as though only the first sentence of the freedom of movement spell is the one that applies.

Yes, it's something a lot of tables overlook: ours did, for several years.

Your reading is correct: it offers no defense against non-magical things that impede your movement.

Something else that I've found is frequently overlooked is that supernatural effects are still magical effects.

AlanBruce
2020-11-09, 12:25 AM
So to set a very poor example:

Cleric with Travel Domain power activated walks through an area where Entangle has been cast. He gets to stroll by unfazed.

Same cleric gets jumped by monk who proceeds to place him in a choke hold. Cleric is stuck and may die unless he's strong enough to break free.

Would that apply to the Travel domain?

Khedrac
2020-11-09, 06:52 AM

Cleric with Travel Domain power activated walks through an area where Entangle has been cast. He gets to stroll by unfazed.

Same cleric gets jumped by monk who proceeds to place him in a choke hold. Cleric is stuck and may die unless he's strong enough to break free.

That seems correct.

Feldar
2020-11-09, 11:20 AM

That is my interpretation. I might go as far as saying that magical effects cast the monk do not count toward's the monk's grapple modifier, but then I would have to get into whether or not any supernatural class features counted towards the monk's grapple modifier....messy.

That same cleric walking through spike stones would still take damage, but could keep moving.

Doctor Awkward
2020-11-09, 04:43 PM
That is my interpretation. I might go as far as saying that magical effects cast the monk do not count toward's the monk's grapple modifier, but then I would have to get into whether or not any supernatural class features counted towards the monk's grapple modifier....messy.

That same cleric walking through spike stones would still take damage, but could keep moving.

Magical effects that are increasing a monk's grapple modifier are not what is impeding your movement. They are very specifically enhancing the monk's grapple modifier. The monk's grapple is what is impeding your movement.