PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Interesting Campaign Idea

GuestEleven
2020-11-06, 06:08 PM
So my friends and I just finished a short campaign where instead of point buy or typical stat rolls we did what my friend called "suicide rolls" where for each stat in order you would roll a d20 and the result would be your stat. It was a lot of fun and resulted in some interesting characters. I found myself inspired by the method of stat rolling and came up with an idea, I was already considering a campaign where everybody plays an intelligent monster. But what if each player rolls a d20 to decide the max CR they can pick their characters from? Obviously the power difference between someone rolling a 1 and a 20 is enormous and this campaign would be balanced by no means. I do want suggestions on how to alleviate some of the disadvantages a player would get for rolling low or picking a lower CR, like perhaps they pick a thug an can have a whole gang at their disposal and maybe a powerful magic item? This seems like it could be an extremely fun campaign, but I don't want anyone left feeling cheated.

Unoriginal
2020-11-06, 06:40 PM
So my friends and I just finished a short campaign where instead of point buy or typical stat rolls we did what my friend called "suicide rolls" where for each stat in order you would roll a d20 and the result would be your stat. It was a lot of fun and resulted in some interesting characters. I found myself inspired by the method of stat rolling and came up with an idea, I was already considering a campaign where everybody plays an intelligent monster. But what if each player rolls a d20 to decide the max CR they can pick their characters from? Obviously the power difference between someone rolling a 1 and a 20 is enormous and this campaign would be balanced by no means. I do want suggestions on how to alleviate some of the disadvantages a player would get for rolling low or picking a lower CR, like perhaps they pick a thug an can have a whole gang at their disposal and maybe a powerful magic item? This seems like it could be an extremely fun campaign, but I don't want anyone left feeling cheated.

To go with your "a whole gang" idea, how about this:

All the players who got lower than the highest CR rolled get mooks and other underling until the total CR of an encounter with PC+underlings matches said highest rolled CR.

GuestEleven
2020-11-06, 06:46 PM
To go with your "a whole gang" idea, how about this:

All the players who got lower than the highest CR rolled get mooks and other underling until the total CR of an encounter with PC+underlings matches said highest rolled CR.

I like this idea. I'm no CR calculating wizard but I'd imagine that'd be a whole force. I like to imagine the players working together and perhaps making a whole stronghold. Maybe someone with like a 16 CR leader, someone playing a general with a squad of 30 goons, etc. Could be way fun.

MrStabby
2020-11-07, 07:59 AM
Every player rolls but all rolls get pooled and players pick which they use.

That way, the player wanting to play a gold dragon can, AND the person wanting a can at their disposal can as well. No one gets stuck with a campaign they won't enjoy due to a single die roll.