PDA

View Full Version : Time travel

Redpieper
2007-11-03, 08:34 PM
If you could travel to any place in any time, where and when would it be?
I'd go to the time where I rule the Universe :smallwink:
Seriously though I would go two days in the future, ask myself what the questions are of the chemistry test, then study that :smallamused:

Plus find out how life has managed through the ages.

Dihan
2007-11-03, 08:40 PM
I'd go forward to the release date of Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the PAL version, then bring it back through time with me to play.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-11-03, 08:45 PM
I would deliberately avoid screwing with time paradoxes and the like by not going anywhere.

Or is it "anywhen"?

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-03, 09:10 PM
I'd go to a week from now, check out the winning lottery number for the biggest jackpot I can find, then head back to now and buy a ticket with that number for that lottery. No paradoxes involved.

Once I was rich I'd start pre-emptively solving all the world's problems.

Siric
2007-11-03, 09:19 PM
If I time traveled, then I would end up in space, as I do not have a teleporter. (Earth is constantly moving, along with the galaxy it's in. Teleporting yourself into the future would cause you to be in the ground of some planet, in space, or falling down to a planet below. Or Burning. Or in a space ship)

Om
2007-11-03, 09:37 PM
Either Petrograd 1917 or Paris 1871. Just to know what it feels like to be on the white hot edge of history.

Mordan
2007-11-03, 09:40 PM
I've actually thought about this....

I'd travel to the 1970s and purchase as much stock in Disney, IBM and Apple as I could. All of those companies existed then and were listed in the stock exchange, and the stock would be worth tons now.

thubby
2007-11-03, 09:54 PM
i'd go kill Hitler when he made his first military action against another country. (just to avoid the "but he's innocent" muck)
or, i'd go to 30 years into the future, find myself who would be expecting me, and would have all the answers to all the homework and tests of my life, along with a catalog of any and all major events of my life and the world at large, and finally all the major stock changes, ensuring i get rich. all in multiple formats that do and/or will exist.
yes, i have thought of this before.:smallamused:

StickMan
2007-11-03, 10:02 PM
Yep I'd go forward in time a year and get all the major lotto numbers I like being rich. Going into the past just gets you erased.

Fiery Justice
2007-11-03, 10:03 PM
About thirty years ago with a few pounds of gold, to take out a minor investment in apple, windows, and disney, then nineteen years ago, to register a fake birth of future me, back up to two years ago (I'm assuming this doesn't too badly screw up history, if it does, I revert back and stop myself) where I will insert myself as a teenager at my present church, and ride the waves from there.

averagejoe
2007-11-03, 10:36 PM
If I time traveled, then I would end up in space, as I do not have a teleporter. (Earth is constantly moving, along with the galaxy it's in. Teleporting yourself into the future would cause you to be in the ground of some planet, in space, or falling down to a planet below. Or Burning. Or in a space ship)

If you could travel to any place in any time, where and when would it be?
I'd go to the time where I rule the Universe
Seriously though I would go two days in the future, ask myself what the questions are of the chemistry test, then study that

Plus find out how life has managed through the ages.

It's to the distant future for me. Because, that would be all kinds of awsome. And maybe I could become a cyborg.

The Bushranger
2007-11-03, 10:39 PM

Give the man a cigar! Finally someone else who perceives the Big, Huge Honking Horsefly in the Ointment with time travel...

averagejoe
2007-11-03, 10:42 PM
Give the man a cigar! Finally someone else who perceives the Big, Huge Honking Horsefly in the Ointment with time travel...

As I pointed out above, the OP specifically mentioned any place as well as any time.

de-trick
2007-11-03, 10:45 PM
1) go to medieval time and become a knight and saint
2)go to the 1960's and jam out to some old school funk
3) go back to when i was a kid and tell him how not to screw my life up(what not to do or say or what to do)fix my mistakes
4)go 5 min back and run around saying I'm from the future saying that the world will blow up if you don't give me a hotdog

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-03, 10:46 PM
People have asked me if I would go back in time and stop my accident from happening and thus not have the massive scars all over my body and stop the severe pain I went through. The answer is NO. I would not go back in time and change anything directly related to me. All that that has happened has made me who I am and without it I might not have met my current great friends. I would go back and stop one of my best freinds in highschool from getting married to her first husband. Though she has 2 great kids from it, he was physically, verbally, and econimicaly abusive. She got hooked on meth to keep herself awake because he would hit her if she went to sleep before he did, no matter how late he went to bed or how much she was awake with the kids. (she is clean now and divorced but that is a very bad experience I would do anything to keep her from) I would then stop my aunt from killing herself, even if I had to tie her up. She left 2 sons and I saw the pure devistation on the faces of the rest of her family. That is one thing that I would stop.

What thubby said about killing Hitler I would not do. Yes he was a very evil man and probably deserved it BUT that is messing with time too much. His impact was so great that if he was killed you would never know the consequences. Killing him may allow the grandfather of a future president of the US to live. This president may then end up being the one that starts WWIII and kills billions. Though the man deserves to be shot before he ever gained power you never know what that would do and what greater evil (or yes maybe good) that would come from it.

Future would be the way to go. Go into the future a way, see lottery numbers or set up things like that (who wins the 2008-2015 super bowel by exactly how many points) then go back and do some betting. Though I probably would not get enough to be filthy rich, comfortable yes, but I dont want to be very rich.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-11-03, 10:55 PM
Either Petrograd 1917 or Paris 1871. Just to know what it feels like to be on the white hot edge of history.

How do you know you're not on it already? You never know, some day your grandchildren could ask "What was it like in 2007 when you were right there on the white-hot edge of history?" and you'll have to admit you didn't notice at the time. :smallwink:

The thing about historic importance is it's so retroactive.

Catch
2007-11-03, 11:00 PM
I'm traveling in time right now, actually. As a matter of fact, when I finish this post, I'll be in the future. Then I'm gonna go downstairs and have some milk.

How do I know this? I can see the future! Operators are standing by, call now!

reorith
2007-11-04, 12:13 AM
i'd go back intime to when i started writing this reply and i'd snap my own neck kinda like sam fisher of splin

thubby
2007-11-04, 12:36 AM
What thubby said about killing Hitler I would not do. Yes he was a very evil man and probably deserved it BUT that is messing with time too much. His impact was so great that if he was killed you would never know the consequences. Killing him may allow the grandfather of a future president of the US to live. This president may then end up being the one that starts WWIII and kills billions. Though the man deserves to be shot before he ever gained power you never know what that would do and what greater evil (or yes maybe good) that would come from it.

the way i see it, there are 3 results, something bad happens anyway, in which case not much changes (the specifics do, but in the grand scheme its more or less the same), something worse happens, but WW2 was pretty bad, the odds of something worse happening in the time between then and now are limited. or something, anything, better happens. and quite honestly non existance for me isn't too much of a turn off.

Skippy
2007-11-04, 12:38 AM
I'd return to last August, to force myself to avoid making one of the worst mistakes of my entire life: Falling in love with the wrong girl.

reorith
2007-11-04, 12:57 AM
I'd return to last August, to force myself to avoid making one of the worst mistakes of my entire life: Falling in love with the wrong girl.

if it was the wrong girl, how could it have been love?

Skippy
2007-11-04, 01:01 AM
*Sigh*

She hurt me a lot. I let myself fall in love with her, even though I knew I shouldn't do it for a lot of reasons. She is amazing, but she doesn't know how to love someone, or how to let people love her.

Em Blackleaf
2007-11-04, 01:33 AM
I would... go back to fifth grade. The time when I didn't have to think too hard and there was no drama. Wow. I miss tetherball. :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-04, 02:05 AM
the way i see it, there are 3 results, something bad happens anyway, in which case not much changes (the specifics do, but in the grand scheme its more or less the same), something worse happens, but WW2 was pretty bad, the odds of something worse happening in the time between then and now are limited. or something, anything, better happens. and quite honestly non existance for me isn't too much of a turn off.

there are always 3 results from every situation. Things are better, the same, or worse. As we will never know it is a mute point. After all how do we know that someone did not go back in time and put Hitler into power to keep the Russians in check. (like command and conquer red alert, when he killed Hitler) So we had WWII which looking back MAY have been better than what really happened, but since that is they way it is written by history we will never know the difference. Same goes with killing Hitler history will change and we will never know the difference no matter if things are now better or worse

Mordan
2007-11-04, 03:07 AM
Robert A Heinlein actually wrote a series of books loosely called The Future History. In the first few books, it doesn't get in to this stuff so much, but about 1/2 way through the series someone discovers a way to not just travel through time, but also through reality (they ate lunch one day while waiting for Alice to come back through the hole, and spent the night that night in Glinda's castle visiting with Dorothy and her friends).

One of the things they did was to "slip" a condom to someone that was going to father a religious dictator in America, stopping this dictator (Nehemiah Scudder) from ever being born. They then travelled 25 years in to the future of that particular "reality" and discovered the entire world had been layed to waste in biological and nuclear warfare. Thus they began to understand that there are consequences, and sometimes they are quite unforseeable.

There was also an episode of the Twilight Zone where historians would actually travel back in time to record events as they occurred, rather then rely on second hand information. One man stopped the assissination of JF Kennedy in Dallas, and the resulting world events changed things so dramatically that the future (his history) was entirely unrecognizable. Just remember, had JFK not been shot Bay of Pigs would have gone much, much differently.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-04, 06:26 AM
:smile: Go forward in time, by a day or so, and murder everyone who was ever cruel to me. Then come back to now, and not do it.

Or the whole lottery thing. Or the whole stock market thing.

Or I'd go to th past with a video camera, and make a fortune for such a life-like documentary. :smallamused: . They'd never know.

Redpieper
2007-11-04, 07:37 AM

As averagejoe pointed out, I indeed specified that you could choose the location as well.

Also interesting choices people, some put mine to shame :smallsmile:
Ah hell most do :smallwink:

Green Bean
2007-11-04, 09:19 AM
If I had a tine travel device, I'd use it to travel to the year 3000 and steal the Professor's What-If Machine. I'd never need a TV again.

"What-If Machine, what if Firefly had been renewed for 5 seasons?"

bugsysservant
2007-11-04, 09:26 AM
I would go back to Arthurian times and remake as much of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court as I could. Or bring back our current knowledge to humans thousands of years ago to prevent thousands of years of ignorance. Whatever.

InaVegt
2007-11-04, 09:32 AM
I would safe the opportunity until I had learned ancient Greek, then I would go back to ten years before the library of Alexandria was burned down, trying to read as much of the knowledge inside as possible, and store if on a laptop. I would then go back home and use my new knowledge to conquer the world.

Reinboom
2007-11-04, 09:44 AM
I would also do the lottery thing. I know a lot of people who could use 20,000 from it - a lot of families would suddenly be relieved of a lot of stress.
I would not dare due anything to the past, for fear of paradoxes - and because even the worst events can have good produced from them.
My grandparents sweet would've never had my father if not for WWII. I probably would not of been born if two of my siblings didn't die shortly after birth (before me).

Who
2007-11-04, 03:04 PM
Gotta say kill Hitler, I can't remember who said it but "You can't have a time machine and not go back in time and kill Hitler*

Moff Chumley
2007-11-04, 03:30 PM
Please don't ask this question. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies—)

:smalleek:

ufo
2007-11-04, 04:01 PM
Gotta say kill Hitler, I can't remember who said it but "You can't have a time machine and not go back in time and kill Hitler*

I read that one in that sci-fi webcomic by Squidi, though I don't know if he was the one who made it up.

If I had a time machine/teleporter (whatever), I'd teleport into the future and see if world really looked as in Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga.

Om
2007-11-04, 04:05 PM
I would safe the opportunity until I had learned ancient Greek, then I would go back to ten years before the library of Alexandria was burned down, trying to read as much of the knowledge inside as possible, and store if on a laptop. I would then go back home and use my new knowledge to conquer the world.What possible application would that knowledge have in today's world? It would only be a mere several centuries out of date...

Edit: As for killing Hitler, I'd probably do that as well but only to make myself feel better. I doubt it would have any impact on the seething cauldron of hate that was Weimar Germany

Green Bean
2007-11-04, 04:09 PM

It wouldn't work because of Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.HitlersTimeTravelExemptionAct)

averagejoe
2007-11-04, 04:13 PM
I would also do the lottery thing. I know a lot of people who could use 20,000 from it - a lot of families would suddenly be relieved of a lot of stress.
I would not dare due anything to the past, for fear of paradoxes - and because even the worst events can have good produced from them.
My grandparents sweet would've never had my father if not for WWII. I probably would not of been born if two of my siblings didn't die shortly after birth (before me).

You'd still cause paradoxes with the lottery thing, just in the future. :smallwink:

daggaz
2007-11-04, 04:20 PM
I would go back in time to just before the English began landing in the America's (starting with the island Columbus first landed on) and warn them of what was to come. I would of course bring a generator, a projector, and lots of movies of the ethnic cleansing made in their native tongues.

Can you imagine if every ship that ever landed in the "New World" was greeted by hordes of very angry, very hostile natives who would stop at nothing to slaughter the new comers? That would change the history books.

Om
2007-11-04, 04:42 PM
Can you imagine if every ship that ever landed in the "New World" was greeted by hordes of very angry, very hostile natives who would stop at nothing to slaughter the new comers? That would change the history books.Not really given that you'd have already infected the Natives with 21st C germs and ailments :smallwink:

The_Chilli_God
2007-11-04, 04:43 PM
I'd travel forward to the Death of the Universe.
Just to see whether it would be via implosion or explosion.

And probably also to check where Earthlings have gotten to since then, even if it is most likely extinction a thousand billion years ago.

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-04, 07:52 PM
Just had another thought: Atlantis. I would totally go to Atlantis.

GuesssWho
2007-11-05, 02:09 PM
I would deliberately avoid screwing with time paradoxes and the like by not going anywhere.

Or is it "anywhen"?

Well said, well said!

Mr.Moron
2007-11-05, 02:17 PM
I'd go back to the moment right before I entered the time machine, then enter the time machine with my other self. Wait until there was a couple hundred thousand of me then...

Tamburlaine
2007-11-05, 02:37 PM
I would safe the opportunity until I had learned ancient Greek, then I would go back to ten years before the library of Alexandria was burned down, trying to read as much of the knowledge inside as possible, and store if on a laptop. I would then go back home and use my new knowledge to conquer the world.

I'd travel back in time and burn down the Library of Alexandria 11 years early to thwart Gezina's plans, then I would go back and abduct a roman legion to aid my plans of world conquest.:smallbiggrin:

ray53208
2007-11-05, 05:45 PM
i think about time travel almost to the point of obsession. i would LOVE to answer these questions but i am afraid anything i saw would be construed as overtly political or anti-religious.

but let me see if i can come up with a "friendly" version...

1. go back and see all the great rock shows in the 20th cetury. zep at the garden, dylan going electric, woodstock, monterey pop festival, the doors at the whiskey a go go, the beatles on the rooftop... the list goes on and on.

2. have dinner with samuel clemens.

3. meet the great thinkers of the ancient world. take a cam corder. then find a translator and publish a book.

4. prevent the great library of alexandria from being destroyed.

5. stop jfk, rfk, mlk, and malcolm x from being killed.

Gungnir
2007-11-06, 01:40 AM
I'd go back to the Triassic period and step on an insect, then come back. See what I f***ed up.