PDA

View Full Version : Help with a "Monster Tamer" for a grimdark campaign

moonfly7
2020-11-07, 11:34 AM
So a game coming up soon is going to be Grimdark, the setting is basically one where a dark god showed up and killed all the other gods, even the evil ones. Then the races waged a 6 year war and killed him, but his death didn't get rid of the hoards of undead and monsters and pissed of worshipers he left behind, so most places are still struggling to survive against the dark forces.
I had a concept that was born from two other ideas that would fit well with this setting: A character designed to tame and manipulate monsters and other creatures or enemies to our side or at least to not fight. This idea comes from my enchantment/persuasion and animal handling expertise bard concept, and my Beast Master ranger concept where the "Animal" companion is a skeleton. The DM has OKed the skeleton and were using a mix of normal ranger beast master, revised ranger beast conclave, and the new tashas rules for that.
What I need help with is creating a character thats actually good at "Taming" monsters. My current plan is to go beast master ranger(for my skeleton, this is nonnegotiable even if it does hinder my other goals) and take Canny(if it's in tashas) to get expertise in animal handling. Then go at least level 5 in ranger for extra attack. Grab any spells that can help me like animal friendship and speak with animals(if primal awareness is unchanged then I'd get these at level 3).
Then I'd go bard at least until level 3 for expertise in intimidation and persuasion, as well as so I can grab the enchantment subclass and all the awesome Glamour bard spells like suggestion and calm emotions(which I feel is vastly underrated) and possibly continue in bard till level 6 so I can cast command as a bonus action for free.
This probably isn't the best way to do it, and I might be better sevred by going druid instead of bard, so if anybody has any ideas that could help with this I'd be greatful. Also summoning spells would certainly fit the theme of taming the dark or creatures. I'm also considering multiclassing into the Vestige Binder class from Mage Hand press. The theme I'm going for is forcing the "dark" to work for you so it would fit