PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mount Options?

Gale
2020-11-07, 03:04 PM
Hi, I was looking for a way to get a mount that would be somewhat reliable in combat for a theoretical Bladesinger build. My goals are for something that is something is easily replaceable when it dies and that has enough durability to survive more than one hit.

Horses are a decent option at lower levels, but I wouldn't want to use them forever. At a certain point they are more likely than not to die in combat, and despite them being affordable I don't like the roleplay implications of playing a character who is constantly forcing horses into suicidal battles.

I would love something akin to Find Steed but it's restricted to Paladins only. A ring of spell storing would help me get it, but unless I have a Paladin in the party it wouldn't be much better than buying a normal horse.

Phantom Steed is obviously an option, but the spell ends if it takes any damage. I know some people believe you can still ride the horse for a minute after the spell ends, but I don't think that was the intent.

I think unless the DM steps in and is willing to give me a mount there aren't many great options available to me. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Throne12
2020-11-07, 03:25 PM
Well a while back JC was talking about how pet and mounts if the contribute to combat or encounters should be getting a share of the Xp. Meaning they can level up also if they are leveling up they get asi's/feats. So so if you buy a horse at level one and it goes into battle with you and helps it should be leveling with you.

Ask the DM for a figurine of power. My paladin player loves dragons so I uselly give him one. One game it was a dragon egg he hatched another game it was a dragon familiar, and this current game its a figurine of power.

Also a lot of people don't think about this but your bring living animal after animal to a fight just to die. Thats a twisted thing to do.

Bilbron
2020-11-07, 03:31 PM
Hi, I was looking for a way to get a mount that would be somewhat reliable in combat for a theoretical Bladesinger build. My goals are for something that is something is easily replaceable when it dies and that has enough durability to survive more than one hit.

Horses are a decent option at lower levels, but I wouldn't want to use them forever. At a certain point they are more likely than not to die in combat, and despite them being affordable I don't like the roleplay implications of playing a character who is constantly forcing horses into suicidal battles.

I would love something akin to Find Steed but it's restricted to Paladins only. A ring of spell storing would help me get it, but unless I have a Paladin in the party it wouldn't be much better than buying a normal horse.

Phantom Steed is obviously an option, but the spell ends if it takes any damage. I know some people believe you can still ride the horse for a minute after the spell ends, but I don't think that was the intent.

I think unless the DM steps in and is willing to give me a mount there aren't many great options available to me. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Phantom Steed is your only real option here (unless you can also pay a Paladin to cast the spell for you after acquiring the RoSS or Svirfneblin Spell Gem), so I suggest making it work for you. You can take the Mounted Combatant feat to greatly enhance its durability (and confer a combat advantage if you're are attacking with melee); you can also protect the Steed with, say, Sanctuary.

Here's my 5-minute Deep Dive into Phantom Steed: https://youtu.be/8Srz5D1URFc

KittenMagician
2020-11-07, 03:45 PM
Griffons. the lore of them states that they can be raised as fierce and extremely loyal mount. its expensive but seems worthwhile. if you get enough money which at higher levels is easy, you could start your own breeding program for griffon mounts and essentially have unending griffon mounts. if this doesnt tickle your fancy then perhaps wyverns. they are used as mounts quite a bit too.

some other options are winged bull/winged lion from the theros book.

potentially bullettes (there is lore for this), dinosaurs (also lore for this), hippogriff (which isnt very strong, little better than a horse), nightmare (if you want to be evil), owlbear (lore for this), pegasus, unicorn (if you are really good), bears, giant eagles, giant owl, warhorse (just a better horse), worgs all of which are in the monster manual.

giant striders and aurochs (essentially bisons) from volo's guide to monsters

grey render from mordenkainans tome of foes

gloomstalker and moorbounder from the explorer's guide to Wildemount

and as always talk to your DM about what you want and where you want your character to go.

ftafp
2020-11-07, 04:03 PM
elephants are bulky and absurdly cheap in the PHB. if you use a whip you can also stay in the center and out of reach of melee attacks. mounted combatant will keep enemies from attacking it

Gale
2020-11-07, 09:56 PM
*snip*

Wow! I never actually looked at how much health an elephant had. That's actually quite wild. I think it might be hard to get the thing into any dungeon, building, etc. but it's definitely a good option if I happen to be outdoors.

Phantom Steed is your only real option here (unless you can also pay a Paladin to cast the spell for you after acquiring the RoSS or Svirfneblin Spell Gem), so I suggest making it work for you. You can take the Mounted Combatant feat to greatly enhance its durability (and confer a combat advantage if you're are attacking with melee); you can also protect the Steed with, say, Sanctuary.

Here's my 5-minute Deep Dive into Phantom Steed: https://youtu.be/8Srz5D1URFc

That's a great video, Bilbron! I always figured the Phantom Steed wouldn't be useful once the duration ended but I hadn't thought about using it as cover.

Another thought I just had is that the steed still exists even after it's taken damage; it just can't move or take any actions. So, my character would still be considered mounted for at least a minute afterwards, and thus can still use a lance one-handed. With a 10 ft. reach it's not too unlikely that I will have plenty of room still to attack enemies! Although, if they move any closer it'll definitely be an issue. There wouldn't happen to be an item or spell that can move around a dead horse around is there? 😇

On another note, I just realized there's nothing stopping me from having multiple Phantom Steeds in a combat. Two or three wouldn't be too unreasonable. So, when one dies I can quickly hop on another one. If only you could mount and dismount on the same turn this would be an even better strategy. Maybe my DM would let me directly mount the next steed without having to "dismount" the fading one if the two steeds are directly adjacent. Either way, it's a neat idea.

Bilbron
2020-11-08, 01:25 AM
Wow! I never actually looked at how much health an elephant had. That's actually quite wild. I think it might be hard to get the thing into any dungeon, building, etc. but it's definitely a good option if I happen to be outdoors.

That's a great video, Bilbron! I always figured the Phantom Steed wouldn't be useful once the duration ended but I hadn't thought about using it as cover.

Another thought I just had is that the steed still exists even after it's taken damage; it just can't move or take any actions. So, my character would still be considered mounted for at least a minute afterwards, and thus can still use a lance one-handed. With a 10 ft. reach it's not too unlikely that I will have plenty of room still to attack enemies! Although, if they move any closer it'll definitely be an issue. There wouldn't happen to be an item or spell that can move around a dead horse around is there? 😇

On another note, I just realized there's nothing stopping me from having multiple Phantom Steeds in a combat. Two or three wouldn't be too unreasonable. So, when one dies I can quickly hop on another one. If only you could mount and dismount on the same turn this would be an even better strategy. Maybe my DM would let me directly mount the next steed without having to "dismount" the fading one if the two steeds are directly adjacent. Either way, it's a neat idea.

The spell specifically says you have 1 minute "to dismount", so you could definitely retain the "mounted" condition, if it's to your advantage (would still attack with advantage if Mounted Combatant feat, for example).

Multiple Steeds are nice. Technically, it's 0 movement to dismount and half movement to mount. I sometimes keep a backup in my Svirfneblin Spell Gem (which allows one to cast it as an action, though normally 1 minute casting time).

carrdrivesyou
2020-11-09, 11:47 AM
Ride the Druid in wild shape.