PDA

View Full Version : Are there ways of regaining longevity?

eyebreaker7
2020-11-07, 06:42 PM
I'm meaning basically reverting to a younger age but still being the same otherwise. Wasn't there a potion of longevity or something in 1st edition that would do something like this? Anything in 3.0/3.5? Some races don't have a long lifespan (humans and orcs for example).

Segev
2020-11-07, 06:55 PM
There are in the DMG; they don’t restore more than a handful or double handful of years, though, and are not very reusable.

Biggus
2020-11-07, 07:42 PM
There are in the DMG; they don’t restore more than a handful or double handful of years, though, and are not very reusable.

Are you saying there are potions of longevity in the 3.5 DMG? Where are they if so?

Segev
2020-11-07, 09:00 PM
Are you saying there are potions of longevity in the 3.5 DMG? Where are they if so?

I am, apparently, wrong, unless it's hiding somewhere I can't find it. My apologies.

sreservoir
2020-11-08, 02:03 AM
Steal life (BoVD 106) is the closest you get in 3.5e, as far as I know.

The Glyphstone
2020-11-08, 02:07 AM
You can Reincarnate and hope to get lucky on your random species roll, I guess. That'll set you back to Young Adult, regardless of your previous age.

Segev
2020-11-08, 02:14 AM
Polymorph any object can turn you into other creatures. It probably could turn, say, a human into an elf, and even manage to make that permanent, though it would also set stats to average.

Presumably, it could turn you into a member of your own species, but younger. Again, it would set all your stats to average, though.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-08, 04:03 AM
Aside from the already mentioned Steal Life there's also Ensul's Soultheft (CoS:W).
It doesn't really make you younger but it stops you from aging for a bit after you drain someone to death. Spellcasters and psions give more time (1 day per spell level/pp).

Bronk
2020-11-08, 06:45 AM
You can Reincarnate and hope to get lucky on your random species roll, I guess. That'll set you back to Young Adult, regardless of your previous age.

You could also use ‘last breath’ and good timing to get reincarnated without level loss...

Golbarg
2020-11-08, 10:26 AM
A bit suboptimal, but there is the Ruathar PrC in Races of the Wild. 3-level PrC that grants a 50% increase to your longevity at level 3. At least it grants full casting, so it could be viable on a caster that can't get immortality another way.

ayvango
2020-11-08, 12:00 PM
You could also use ‘last breath’ and good timing to get reincarnated without level loss...
The good timing challenge could be solved pretty easy. Shroud transference companion spirit from the DMG2 costs only 300gp + 300xp and provides continual gentle repose.

mabriss lethe
2020-11-08, 08:35 PM
A 10th level Thief of Life (faiths of eberron) gains Steal Immortality as a capstone. Basically, if you shank and kill a living creature with more HD than you have, you cease aging for a year and for the duration require neither food nor sleep.

Psyren
2020-11-09, 01:56 AM

Who needs timing when you have Craft Contingent Spell :smalltongue:

I could have sworn there was something in PF to change your age but most of those effect appear to be temporary or llusory.

ShurikVch
2020-11-10, 12:24 PM
A 10th level Thief of Life (faiths of eberron) gains Steal Immortality as a capstone. Basically, if you shank and kill a living creature with more HD than you have, you cease aging for a year and for the duration require neither food nor sleep.
If we going this way, then I would mention Ioulaum’s Longevity [epic] spell (Lost Empires of Faerûn)

Also: Elixir of Eternity (minor artifact, Dungeon #112 p. 80): drinker don't die upon reaching the maximal age, but continue to age: -1 Str/Dex/Con every 100 years (min. 1), and +1 Int/Wis/Cha every 200 years

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-11-10, 12:33 PM
Also: Elixir of Eternity (minor artifact, Dungeon #112 p. 80): drinker don't die upon reaching the maximal age, but continue to age: -1 Str/Dex/Con every 100 years (min. 1), and +1 Int/Wis/Cha every 200 yearsAnd given the rules behind spell component pouches and (unpriced) artifacts, that means every spell component pouch has an infinite number of these...

Xervous
2020-11-10, 12:50 PM
And given the rules behind spell component pouches and (unpriced) artifacts, that means every spell component pouch has an infinite number of these...

I’m sure there’s also enough stuff in there for simple perusal of a SCP to be instantly lethal to a majority of casters (and those around them). Is this WH yet?

ShurikVch
2020-11-10, 01:54 PM
I’m sure there’s also enough stuff in there for simple perusal of a SCP to be instantly lethal to a majority of casters (and those around them). Is this WH yet?
SCP (http://www.scpwiki.com/)? :smalleek:
What is "WH"?

Telonius
2020-11-10, 04:12 PM
Champions of Ruin has the "Gray Portrait" (your basic "Portrait of Dorian Grey" effect). I believe there are a few items in BoVD that can help with this too.

Thurbane
2020-11-10, 04:34 PM
And given the rules behind spell component pouches and (unpriced) artifacts, that means every spell component pouch has an infinite number of these...

If you ever find a table where that actually flies let me know. :smallamused:

Ruethgar
2020-11-10, 04:42 PM
There’s technically not a requirement for the Endless quality other than DM fiat, and while the article suggests that those with Wedded to History often get it, they don’t have to.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-11-10, 05:21 PM
If you ever find a table where that actually flies let me know. :smallamused:Well, I believe Emperor Tippy would have something to say about this.

Also, it's immortality. Sure, the characters care in-world, but mechanically speaking, why would immortality matter? Immortality is super easy, barely an inconvenience, and there are dozens of ways to get it in 3.5 alone, let alone 3.0 and PF.

Venger
2020-11-11, 06:46 PM
SCP (http://www.scpwiki.com/)? :smalleek:
What is "WH"?

scp = spell components pouch. Don't know what WH stands for. Syntactically, probably something like fanon.