PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Spy/Face

Mandarin
2020-11-07, 07:02 PM
Alright, I have written a few of these but have now come to what I consider maybe my best build for the ultimate face character. (Yes, I have read the thread on become a social god)

Race: Changeling
Starting Stats rolled

Str 8
Dex 15 --> 16
Wis 12
Int 9
Con 10
Cha 18 -->20

DM allowed me to take the old Changeling stats so I got expertise in one tool, which is the forgery kit as this will be a political intrigue campaign.

Class Route

1- Rogue- Expertise, sneak attack, saves, thieves tools, thieves cant, best choice imo
2-5 Bard (Eloquence) At level 4 this character comes online. It has 9 proficiencies, expertise in 4 skills and 1 tool and cannot roll under a 19 in deception or persuasion. (I expertised in those) due to the eloquence bard silver tongue. At level 5 I have been approved to pick up the UA feat Metamagic Adept.. just so I can have subtle magic 2 times a day. Now I am walking nightmare in social situations... I can look like anybody, sound like anybody... magic won't dispel it or see through it, and my lies are virtually undetectable outside of a few key spells I will avoid like the plague.

FROM HERE- Do I go straight Bard and just soak up all those delicious spells? Or do I go pact of the chain warlock for some combat power and also having an invisible imp collecting information for me? The options as I see it.

6-8 Pact of the Chain Warlock- Level 2 spells back on a short rest (Hello suggestion!), imp familiar which is like... 80% of my reason to do this because yes.. it is just that powerful, eldritch blast and the powerful invocations that come with it.. probably taking voice of the chain master and agonizing blast... keeping me relevant in combat while buffing my social potential significantly. I would probably go hexblade just for the armor proficiency and curse... although great old one is near and dear to my heart.

9-20 back to bard, picking up 16 levels in total.

Otherwise, I could just go straight bard... getting some sweet spells much sooner including additional expertise skills... but not getting that imp or eldritch blast with the invocations.

DISCUSS!