PDA

View Full Version : If small enough could you actually sleep in a handy haversack?

eyebreaker7
2020-11-08, 05:00 AM
Handy Haversack
A backpack of this sort appears to be well made, well used, and quite ordinary. It is constructed of finely tanned leather, and the straps have brass hardware and buckles. It has two side pouches, each of which appears large enough to hold about a quart of material. In fact, each is like a bag of holding and can actually hold material of as much as 2 cubic feet in volume or 20 pounds in weight. The large central portion of the pack can contain up to 8 cubic feet or 80 pounds of material. Even when so filled, the backpack always weighs only 5 pounds.

Say maybe a small child or a gnome or halfling? And if you have a familiar it could go in one of the side pockets? Or would there be an oxygen problem it doesn't talk about, probably because it's not supposed to be a sleeping bag. See what I just did there? Sleeping bag? :biggrin:

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-08, 05:22 AM
Yeah, there'd be an oxygen problem, but that can be easily solved with a Necklace of Adaption or something similar.
The bigger problem is that you'd have no way to open it from the inside since it's an extradimensional space, so you could be easily trapped inside either by accident or design.

There are some items that explicitly allow this, but they're usually limited to familiars. The Belt of Many Pockets (RotW) comes to mind.

eyebreaker7
2020-11-08, 05:31 AM
Ok so I'd need to get me a NoA. Love those and try to get them anyway :)
As for getting out, couldn't someone put the haversack on and pull me out? Or, what happens if you just turn it upside down? Will the contents dump out of it?

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-08, 06:19 AM
Someone could pull you out, sure. The problem is when your enemies get a hold of you haversack instead since you're basically gift wrapping yourself for them.

As for what exactly happens if you turn it upside down it comes down to DM ruling.
You can make an educated guess by cross referencing similiar items like the Portable Hole and Bag of Holding, but that's about it.
That's what i'm basing my interpretation on.

We can probably assume that an extradimensional space's entrance disappears when the item is closed - that's what happens with a Portable Hole, and it's the interpretation you want because otherwise the inside is going to be affected by your environment (like if you're underwater it doesn't fill up with water and ruin the contents for example).
From that it follows that you can't open a closed extradimensional space from the inside.

Both the BoH and the Haversack have the function of always having the item you want on top, so i figure removing something from them requires intent.
The BoH can explicitly be dumped out by turning it inside out, so we can infer that just holding it upside down doesn't do that.
I'd rule that a Haversack works similarly (if only to avoid the question of what happens when you Spider Climb on the ceiling), but the item description is silent on the issue.

It's probably not quite as clear as you'd like but that's the best i have.

Bronk
2020-11-08, 06:37 AM
You could just use it like an actual sleeping bag and leave your head out while you sleep. If you can stick your arm in to grab something, you can stick any body part partially in.