PDA

View Full Version : Just to Confirm This is Correct

Rev666
2020-11-09, 12:55 AM
My 15th level samurai fighter attacks an orc that was hit by a guiding bolt. I have 3 attacks at advantage, normal, normal. I use rapidstrike and now have 4 attacks at normal (triggering attack which lost advantage), normal (the bonus attack), normal, normal.

The orcs warleader now arrives so i sink my last fighting spirit so have 3 attacks at advantage, advantage, advantage.
Again i rapidstrike. This results in 4 attacks at normal (triggering attack which lost advantage), advantage (the bonus attack which benefits from fighting spirit), advantage, advantage.

This is the correct method right. Basically if you use fighting spirit then you should always be using rapidstrike as you still get the same number of attacks with advantage as well as an extra one at normal.

CheddarChampion
2020-11-09, 01:18 AM
Yes, that's correct. Nothing is stopping the additional attack from gaining advantage from the same source.

Attacking while invisible or attacking a prone creature* would produce the same results.

*Conditionally: while within 5' with a melee attack, or while within 5' with a ranged attack and you have the feat Crossbow Expert.

MaxWilson
2020-11-09, 02:06 AM
Yes, that's correct. Nothing is stopping the additional attack from gaining advantage from the same source.

Huh. I never realized that before but it seems to be true, which makes Rapid Strike considerably better than I thought. You can generate your own advantage by e.g. shoving an enemy prone, and then you get that attack back from Rapid Strike, and get advantage on your other attacks.

Rev666
2020-11-10, 12:42 AM
Huh. I never realized that before but it seems to be true, which makes Rapid Strike considerably better than I thought. You can generate your own advantage by e.g. shoving an enemy prone, and then you get that attack back from Rapid Strike, and get advantage on your other attacks.

In your example, from what i understand, is that (using my 3 attack guy for this example); you shove prone (first attack), then second and third attack get advantage. Rapidstrike us used so second attack loses advantage, you get bonus attack (at advantage cos hes prone) and thrn third attack with advantage.

So from 3 attacks to a shove, an attack, and 2 advantage attacks.

I think im getting the gist of it now.

MaxWilson
2020-11-10, 11:46 AM
In your example, from what i understand, is that (using my 3 attack guy for this example); you shove prone (first attack), then second and third attack get advantage. Rapidstrike us used so second attack loses advantage, you get bonus attack (at advantage cos hes prone) and thrn third attack with advantage.

So from 3 attacks to a shove, an attack, and 2 advantage attacks.

I think im getting the gist of it now.

Correct, that's it exactly (if your Shove attempt succeeds, but most non-Giant monsters have crummy Athletics).