PDA

View Full Version : Need a city adventure for an open world

MicHag
2020-11-09, 05:38 AM
Hello playground,

i have created a sort of open world for my players. I worked out a lot, but somehow they ended up in a large city (through a portal) that i hadn't really worked out yet. I thought i had some time before they got there...

The party is 100% good, they are chose because of their goodness!
The party is quite strong, they should be able to take down like 20-30 normal soldiers at once (stronger opponents are available, but they are "unique" npc's).

The city is large, one of the largest in the city.
The city is generally pretty rich and fancy.
The city is controlled by their Duke, it is also the capital of that province. The Duke is unwilling to help with the disease a neighbouring province is dealing with (which eventually will turn people into undead).

Currently, they went through the portal, ended up in a fancy one-person hotelroom (from the owner of the portal). They went down to the lobby, got some strange looks, but booked a room for themselves. Then went across the street to a magic-shop and the session ended. So i have a lot of freedom to work with.

Now the Duke i mentioned before, there are several things going on there. He is a weapons collector, so he will be interested in any rare weapons the party has to offer, or maybe the party is willing to find/collect. He might be willing to trade some of his own collection if the party has a weapon he is very interested in. However, he has recently acquired a tainted weapon, that is turning him more evil/selfish than he used to be. He is unwilling to help the neighbouring province dealing with the disease, instead he is protecting his border only. Another neighbouring capital has gone quiet, no people leave the city, no communication, the people who did go in, never came out. In this case, the duke is slowly gaining control of more towns from that province, pushing his border forward.

Now, while this is going on mostly outside this city, i have considered that there is some sort of revolt going on. People that know parts of what is happening and are unhappy about it. But i am not sure where i am going with that, what would it lead to? will they confront the duke and what kind of story would i have there. Will they fight the duke?

While i would like to incorporate this story somewhat, i would like something extra going on in the city. Maybe they meet the duke because of that, and the story unfolds better that way.

I am searching the internet right now, but if someone has an idea that might work, it's appreciated. It could be better than what i find.