View Full Version : Green flame blade + Absorb Elements build idea.

Throne12
2020-11-09, 09:25 AM
So I was looking at the absorb elements and was was thinking if I used gfb and have it extra damage hit me instead of another creature it triggers AE. Giving me a extra xD6 of damage. Yes ill be taking a some damage but its not a lot only single digits.

So a couple of questions
1. Can i use gfb and ae in the same turn? I think no because you can't use 2 spells a turn unless the cantrip is a bonus action right.
2. If it possible which builds would you use this on?
3. Would this be possible on the new bladesinger? Would this be a good strategy?

Gtdead
2020-11-09, 09:29 AM
1) The limitation is that if you use a bonus action spell, you can't cast another spell in the same turn. Doesn't say anything about reactions. So you can do it.
2) I would never use this combination. Not only it's an extremely small damage increase for the usage of 1 spell, but by lvl 5 and onwards you will probably take more damage than you deal unless you start upcasting it.
3) It should be possible. I don't know of anything that will affect this combo.

Avonar
2020-11-09, 09:45 AM
1) The limitation is that if you use a bonus action spell, you can't cast another spell in the same turn. Doesn't say anything about reactions. So you can do it.

Not quite.

If you cast a bonus action spell of 1st level or higher then you can cast a cantrip as an action. That is the restriction for action/bonus action. This however does not affect reaction spells like absorb elements, shield, counterspell, you can use them whenever you like without timing restrictions.

This combination technically works but it is pretty terrible. Would you really want to spend a 1st level spell to take 2 damage and deal 1 extra? And the 1 extra would be on your next turn at that.

Gtdead
2020-11-09, 09:46 AM
Not quite.

If you cast a bonus action spell of 1st level or higher then you can cast a cantrip as an action. That is the restriction for action/bonus action. This however does not affect reaction spells like absorb elements, shield, counterspell, you can use them whenever you like without timing restrictions.

That's what I said. Also as far as I am aware, it doesn't have to be a spell of 1st level or higher. It just has to be a bonus action spell. If you quicken a BB, you can't cast anything else than a cantrip.

Edit: Fixed a typo that changed my point (can -> can't)

Quietus
2020-11-09, 10:33 AM
The costs involved in this simply get too high to be valuable. You're going to hemorrhage spell slots to do an additional d6 of damage, with the extra cost of your HP and your reaction? That's not going to add up well for you. I've tried to theorycraft a build using this, trying to stack as many +stat to fire damage effects as I could - I think I had it with Draconic sorcerer and Celestial warlock levels, using GFB, Absorb Elements, cha-based Shillelagh from Tomelock, and the Searing Smite spell via a dip into Paladin, or Artificer, or Forge cleric. Even stacking all of those effects, and adding 2x charisma to fire damage from three of them, it still was only averaging something like 42-45 damage in around tier 3. And that's with burning two spells each turn, your entire action economy, and some hit points. I think the absolute best you could do here is 6 Draconic Sorc/6 Celestial Warlock/8 Forge cleric.

Shillelagh : 1d8 +cha damage
GFB : 3d8+2xcha fire damage (and 3d8+cha to yourself)
Absorb Elements : 1d6+2xcha fire damage (and resistance for yourself)
Searing Smite : 1d6+2xcha fire damage (plus a minor burn effect)
Forge cleric level 8 feature : 1d8 fire damage (not a spell, no bump from stats)

This is a level 20 build focused on doing exactly what you're looking at, and it totals 5d8+2d6+7xcha damage. That's 64.5 average damage, and 9.25 damage to yourself after the resistance. It is.. merely okay, for what it does. It's also relying on a single attack each round to land that, so it's all or nothing.

ff7hero
2020-11-09, 11:03 AM
That's what I said. Also as far as I am aware, it doesn't have to be a spell of 1st level or higher. It just has to be a bonus action spell. If you quicken a BB, you can cast anything else than a cantrip.

5e's worst rule rears its ugly head again.

"BONUS ACTION
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You
must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell,
provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action
this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same
turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

Of note, the rule doesn't care what kind of spell you cast with your bonus action. Cast Shillelagh? The only other spell you can cast this turn is a Cantrip with a cast time of 1 action. No reaction spells of any kind can be cast the same turn that you cast a spell using a bonus action.

Toadkiller
2020-11-09, 11:13 AM
I would allow it, I guess. But it seems like a waste of a spell slot as mentioned. You will have to spend some resource to get those HP back even if that is just time. Rarely will you really know if 1d6 on your next turn is going to be significant. Be a bummer to take damage just to have somebody else finish off the bad guy before your next turn.

Silpharon
2020-11-09, 12:30 PM
I see nothing wrong with this as long as you haven't cast a BA spell already. BS extra attack, GFB, react with level 9 upcast absorb elements, attack a second time with an extra 9d6 fire damage. Kinda fun...

Evaar
2020-11-09, 12:49 PM
This would be a massive waste of spell slots.

If you really want to convert spell slots into damage, just take two levels of Paladin and use smite.

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-09, 01:13 PM

"BONUS ACTION

Of note, the rule doesn't care what kind of spell you cast with your bonus action. Cast Shillelagh? The only other spell you can cast this turn is a Cantrip with a cast time of 1 action. No reaction spells of any kind can be cast the same turn that you cast a spell using a bonus action.

Thank you for finally getting it right.

Gtdead
2020-11-09, 01:49 PM

"BONUS ACTION

Yea I had a typo on my sentence. I edited it. Typed "can" instead of "can't".

Bottomline:
The OPs combo works