PDA

View Full Version : Subclasses for a paladin/warlock or cleric/warlock character?

Rfkannen
2020-11-09, 06:45 PM
In xanathar's guide to everything, they have the concept of having your cleric be tempted away from their god by an imp. This gave me the idea that it would be really fun to play a holy character that had a lot of temptation to go to the fall from grace because they literally had the warlock class, and the powers (and the being who gave them to them) would be tempting.

Not sure whether cleric or paladin would fit the concept better. I feel like paladin is good because they have specific behaviors that make them fall, but clerics have gods built into the class, which could be fun for a "two masters"

I'm looking for a combo of two subclasses that are dramatically different thematically (so that there is conflict), but also work well mechanically.

Any ideas?

RogueJK
2020-11-09, 08:29 PM
I'm looking for a combo of two subclasses that are dramatically different thematically (so that there is conflict), but also work well mechanically.

"Work well mechanically" is going to be much tougher to pull off with Cleric/Warlock than Paladin/Warlock.

Paladin/Warlock multiclasses are relatively common (typically referred to as "Padlocks"), and there's quite a bit of Synergy between the two classes, with both making major use of CHA. Common splits are Paladin 2/Warlock X (which doesn't even take a Paladin Oath yet) and Paladin 6/Warlock X. Hexblade Warlock is the usual pick for a Padlock from an optimization standpoint, since you can focus just on CHA, but there's not really much conflict between Hexblade and the various Oaths. Maybe something like a Hexblade sentient weapon that's driving you to slay more foes versus the Oath of Redemption. Or you could do something like an evil-leaning Vengeance or Conquest Paladin whose Celestial Warlock patron is trying to guide you towards the side of Good.

But there's really not much synergy between Clerics and Warlocks. Clerics are WIS primary casters while Warlocks are CHA primary casters. Not only is there really no overlap between spellcasting stats, the class levels don't even stack for spell slots, like multiclassing literally every other caster class. You're going to have to pick one class as your main class, and make do with just a few levels and a middling spellcasting stat in the other secondary class, relying on spells for your secondary class that don't require attack rolls or saves. This would be something like 1 or 2 levels in Cleric and the rest Warlock, or perhaps 1 or 2 levels of Warlock and the rest Cleric. Maybe something like a Life Cleric 1/Fiend Warlock X: You started life as a healer in service of one of the gods of Good before being tempted by a Fiend patron and falling from grace. High CHA, but stick to a 13/14 WIS, and use your Cleric spells for buffing/healing alone. Or an (UA) Undead Warlock 2/Grave Cleric X: You're an undead hunter in service of the church, but a powerful Undead master has taken an interest in corrupting you. High WIS, but 13/14 CHA, and just use your Warlock spells for utility and defense.

Witty Username
2020-11-09, 08:58 PM
You could forgo warlock entirely and take oathbreaker paladin, if your dm is up for it. I personally like combining conquest with warlock when I am concepting, fiend sounds like your warlock subclass, hexblade may have better mechanics though.
With cleric I am not sure, all roads are about even.

CTurbo
2020-11-09, 09:09 PM
Paladin and Warlock does this the easiest but Padlocks are way overused these days IMO so I would try to make this work as a Cleric/Warlock.

I played a very straight laced Lawful Good Monk that got tricked/forced to make a deal with a demon which resulted in 3 Warlock levels and a very evil Imp that constantly tried to persuade him. It was an overly complicated character but a lot of fun. It took rolling good stats to pull off.

I'd try for Cleric/Warlock. You could go Half-Elf and start 8 Str, 16 Dex, 13 Con, 8 Int, 14 Cha, and 16 Wis and take Res(Con) with first ASI. You COULD go Str over Dex, but I don't like dumping Dex below 10. The difference is only -1AC.

NeffariasBredd
2020-11-10, 06:08 AM
I would be remiss if I fail to mention that Asmodeus and the other fiends do sponsor Clerics. The Fey too. GOO has its cultists some who do get cleric levels.
Celestial warlocks can be Cleric worshippers of the Deity your celestial sponsor serves. Ditto Hexblades.
While it doesn't give you the "two masters" dilemma, it would be the most straighfoward backstory wise.

Gtdead
2020-11-10, 08:17 AM
First to get the obvious out of the way, in addition to Paladin and Cleric, another class that has ties to the divine is the Divine Soul Sorcerer. The effectiveness of Sorlock is well documented so I won't get into it any more.

My favorite combination for Padlock is Hexblade + Conquest. I don't view the other combinations as good enough but that's just me. I'm not sure about how plausible is that an imp would sway your character to be a hexblade, but that's for you to decide in your background. This build only works because of hex warrior. Conquest is the more spellcasty of the bunch and he can make use of the extra CHA even if it sets him back a bit. The level spread is Hex 1-2/Conquest X. Can start as any class, no worries there. It also gives the Paladin a much needed ranged option.

Now the Cleric/Warlock combination is very odd mechanically. Cleric lacks a reliable dpr ability without resource expenditure. A warlock adds EB, but to really take advantage of it, you need CHA, otherwise it's pointless. You could try something like Life/Grave with a warlock dip and focus on buff spells and CHA but I don't think it's worth it tbh. Another option would be light cleric, dip warlock for hex and use it with scorching ray, but it's still limited. A popular flavor build is Knowledge cleric + goo warlock, as a cultist type, which is fairly good for campaigns with a lot of social encounters.

I can't really think of something else. I'd probably look at divine soul and paladin before even considering cleric.

Keravath
2020-11-10, 08:27 AM
Archetypes with intentionally opposing themes would be ones like ...

The classics
- devotion paladin/fiend or undead warlock
- good aligned cleric/fiend warlock
- life cleric/undead warlock
- grave or death cleric/celestial warlock
- ancients paladin/ fiend or undead warlock
- oathbreaker paladin/celestial warlock or divine soul sorcerer

I think there is an undead warlock option in TCoE?

There are also possibilities where the patron themselves is the issue like a devotion paladin with Acerak (a ancient lich) as a warlock patron.

Mechanically, paladin/warlock is easier to work with than cleric/warlock since the paladin tends to have a high charisma anyway - though a paladin would focus on str/con/cha while the cleric might be wis/con/cha so they are probably about equally MAD but there are magic items to boost str and nothing to boost wisdom.

RogueJK
2020-11-10, 11:02 AM
A popular flavor build is Knowledge cleric + goo warlock, as a cultist type, which is fairly good for campaigns with a lot of social encounters.

I like it. Knowledge Cleric 1 or 2 (or Arcana Cleric 1)/Great Old One Warlock X. You started out as a priest in search of knowledge (or specifically magic knowledge), but delved into forbidden tomes/ruins and was tempted into a pact with Those Who Shall Not Be Named as a means for easier access to vast knowledge.

The level of Knowledge or Arcana Clerics gets you Medium Armor and Shields, an extra Knowledge skill or two, a few useful domain spells (including a Ritual), a few Cleric spells, additional cantrips, and potentially a handy Channel Divinity to boost a nonproficient skill if you go 2 levels of Knowledge Cleric (though I probably wouldn't).

You can just focus on CHA, since Warlock will be your primary class. You'd do just fine with only a 13 WIS (minimum for multiclassing Cleric). Don't pick any Cleric attack/save spells; just stick to Cleric utility cantrips and 1st level utlity/buff/healing spells. (Or Wizard utility cantrips for Arcana, though you could potentially choose Booming Blade if you go Arcana Cleric and plan to be in melee, but building for melee would be tough since you're already pretty MAD.) And the Arcana Cleric would still be able to make use of Magic Missile, since it's not reliant on a high WIS. Use Warlock spells for your attack/save spells, since your CHA will be higher than your WIS.

Something like a Half Elf with:
STR 8
DEX 13+1
CON 13
INT 11+1
WIS 13
CHA 15+2
Go with a CHA half feat like Elven Accuracy or Fey Touched (or just +1 CHA/WIS) at Warlock 4, Resilient CON at Warlock 8, then +2 CHA at Warlock 12. Wear Medium Armor, carry a shield, but don't bother with a weapon so you can keep a hand free for spellcasting. Rely on Eldritch Blast for your mundane damage dealing, switching to something like Toll the Dead or Mind Sliver if enemies get right up next to you.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-11-10, 12:42 PM
If your doing cleric then the forge domain with the hexblade patron of the warlock will work. Mechanically your stats will be chrisma and wisdom. Strength only as needed for heavy armor needs.

Thematically your character is essentially Sophitia from Soul Calibur. Servant of a forge God possibly tempted by a wicked weapon. Hexblade is not defined as evil initially but it is close enough as it does crave combat.