PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Divination Wizard with poisons?

Citadel97501
2020-11-10, 01:26 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has looked at this as it seems that being able to force a failed poison save on to a target or 2 would be really nice? While I usually accept that getting to to auto-pass a roll is really nice, I was thinking that forcing auto-fails is nearly as good?

Bilbron
2020-11-10, 01:29 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has looked at this as it seems that being able to force a failed poison save on to a target or 2 would be really nice? While I usually accept that getting to to auto-pass a roll is really nice, I was thinking that forcing auto-fails is nearly as good?

Yep, that's a killer combo against the right creature. Nice timing, I just released my PGTR Showdown Series: Poisons video:

https://youtu.be/ClhjpaMfaxc

Citadel97501
2020-11-10, 01:36 AM
Yep, that's a killer combo against the right creature. Nice timing, I just released my PGTR Showdown Series: Poisons video:

https://youtu.be/ClhjpaMfaxc

Which is what got me thinking about it :)

PattThe
2020-11-10, 02:53 AM
Well, why not build up a low level Drow antagonist? Male drow wizards are incredibly common and Drow Poison has a unique trait involving failing the save by more than 5 points. Forcing unconsciousness is pretty scary on the part of the DM.

Oh damn, you can force success on a save for a taste tester to make the poison undetected, depending on DM ruling and the crafting of a poison specifically for this purpose. Damn, this wizard can commit some regicide hardcore.

Corran
2020-11-10, 03:40 AM
Malice, 1 save or blinded (and poisoned) for 1 hour, could be great against enemy casters. Blindness is not as bad as incapacitation, but against casters specifically it is not that much worse (cause most spells require seeing the target in order to use them). It only takes one save (unlike the blindness spell), so in that sense it could work better than the spell for a diviner. And when comparing it to most other poisons, the effect (ie blindness) is not lifted if the target takes damage or if an ally of theirs takes an action to shake it off. So yeah, just one save, and if you fail it you suffer the effect for the whole duration (1 hour). And this makes it great to use with portent (as long as it is against someone who suffers a lot from blindness, eg casters, so that the effect is strong too; cause there is little point in being very reliable at applying an easily maintained effect, if the effect is not strong in the first place, and blindness is only situationally strong enough to maybe warrant using one of your portent dice with it).