PDA

View Full Version : Synergistic Casting (a multiclass rule)

dmhelp
2020-11-10, 04:07 PM

cutlery
2020-11-10, 05:15 PM
I assume you mean, for instance, an EK 9/Wizard 3 would cast and know spells as if they were a wizard 6?

I don't think I have a problem with that, nor do I think it would make them particularly broken. An EK7/Wizard13 can cast 7th and 8th level spells, though - while doing pretty OK in melee.

For Paladin/Cleric - you have different spell lists, so I don't think it works as neatly.

Hellpyre
2020-11-10, 07:22 PM
You probably should round those partial-progression classes down for consistency. A Paladin 1, for example, has no spellcasting feature yet, and provides no slots to a multiclassed caster, but under this system would still improve spell access.

CheddarChampion
2020-11-11, 02:49 AM
AT/EK would shed their limitations on schools of magic with a 1 level dip.

What would happen for something like a Bard/Sorcerer? A Wizard/Cleric?

How do you determine which class gets priority?
Would a Paladin 6/Cleric 6 have the option to cast spells as a level 18 Paladin or a level 9 cleric? Would a Paladin 8/Cleric 5 have a similar option? A Paladin 2/Cleric 8?

If applied to any combination I foresee it getting abusable.
Take a Warlock 2/Bard 3/Sorcerer X, for example: loaded with class features, no penalty to spellcasting.
Or a Cleric/Wizard: armor, domain feature, domain spells(?), channel divinity, and no delay to casting ability.

The trade-off is getting the subclass abilities of your main class later or not at all.
Do you want the level 10 wizard feature or a bunch of stuff from being a cleric?
Do you want an extra metamagic option and a few spell points or armor, an extra skill, jack of all trades, bardic inspiration, two sets of subclass abilities, and two eldritch invocations?