PDA

View Full Version : Abjurers Ward Clarification

ThatDuckGrant
2020-11-10, 06:29 PM
If I知 resistant (or immune for that matter) to damage, is my ward resistant (or immune)?

The way I read it is yes. I take damage, apply modifiers like resistance, and the only difference is that the hp damage goes to the ward rather than to me.

So to be clear, this synergizes with Absorb Elements right?

Sigreid
2020-11-10, 06:51 PM
I suppose there is room for interpretation, but I've always read it; the ward is not temporary hitpoints, but a deflector screen and doesn't benefit from your resistances and immunities. I'd never even considered it working the other way. /shrug

Bilbron
2020-11-10, 06:59 PM
If I知 resistant (or immune for that matter) to damage, is my ward resistant (or immune)?

The way I read it is yes. I take damage, apply modifiers like resistance, and the only difference is that the hp damage goes to the ward rather than to me.

From page 7 of Sage Advice Compendium:

"How does Arcane Ward interact with temporary hit
points and damage resistance that an abjurer might
have?"

"An Arcane Ward is not an extension of the wizard
who creates it. It is a magical effect with its own hit points.
Any temporary hit points, immunities, or resistances that
the wizard has don稚 apply to the ward.
The ward takes damage first. Any leftover damage is
taken by the wizard and goes through the following game
elements in order: (1) any relevant damage immunity, (2)
any relevant damage resistance, (3) any temporary hit
points, and (4) real hit points."

MaxWilson
2020-11-10, 07:16 PM

The ward is more like a bodyguard than body armor, apparently. So no, officially they do not synergize, but talk to your DM.

Hellpyre
2020-11-10, 07:46 PM
I agree with talking with your DM. Sage Advice offers a reasonable ruling, and Abjurers certainly don't need the additional power, but the original wording to the ability is more ambiguous about when in the process of receiving damage the ward steps in.

Resistance and then vulnerability are applied after all other modifiers to damage. For example, a creature has resistance to bludgeoning damage and is hit by an attack that deals 25 bludgeoning damage. The creature is also within a magical aura that reduces all damage by 5. The 25 damage is first reduced by 5 and then halved, so the creature takes 10 damage.

Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead.

If Arcane Ward reduces damage, or is otherwise considered a modifier to damage, it would apply first. But it appears that you take the damage first, and then redirect it to the Ward, which would presumably apply your resistance and vulnerabilities, and the damage you then take would be deducted first from your ward's hit points.

In essence, I think that the Sage Advice ruling in this case seems to go against a strict reading of the mechanics invovled, but results in a reasonable end-state (especially considering the 14th level ability that Abjurer's gain).