PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Pal6/SorcX

cZak
2020-11-10, 07:53 PM
Not really aiming for the Smite bonus', more for the enhance combat effectiveness

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view

The Twin seems handy for Shield o faith n other buffs; pretty inexpensive for the benefit. So I'm fairly certain of this
But I'm on the fence re Careful, which seems limited to Web type spells, Subtle for the occasional Suggestion or Zone o Truth.
Quickened Hold person would be pretty helpful, but he cost seems to limit it's amount...

Curious about suggestions

Teaguethebean
2020-11-10, 10:32 PM
Depends on the focus. Subtle is purely for if you want out of combat utility, careful adds a lot of control versatility but only worth it if you expect to play at sorcerer 5+ for an extended amount of time. Finally quickened is really just a fun damage boost to throw out another booming blade or hold person to allow a nasty turn.

sithlordnergal
2020-11-11, 12:22 AM
I'd say Quickened is the most useful one out of the three. Don't get me wrong, Subtle and Careful are nice...but they just don't have the flexibility of Quickened Spell. This is especially true since Paladins tend to lack Bonus Actions. And you don't have to just use it for damage either, since Metamagic is worded in such a way to allow you to use Paladin spells with them you can Quick things like Cure Wounds, Bless, or Heroism.

It can also be useful outside of combat, in case you need to quickly do a check or something. And finally it has a fairly low cost, not as low as a single point but still pretty cost effective.

TheUser
2020-11-11, 11:35 AM
Not really aiming for the Smite bonus', more for the enhance combat effectiveness

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view

The Twin seems handy for Shield o faith n other buffs; pretty inexpensive for the benefit. So I'm fairly certain of this
But I'm on the fence re Careful, which seems limited to Web type spells, Subtle for the occasional Suggestion or Zone o Truth.
Quickened Hold person would be pretty helpful, but he cost seems to limit it's amount...

Curious about suggestions

Both Twinned and Quickened are the standards for Pal 6/Sorc X because they function so well together and play to the paladin's play style well.

I personally have come to love Quickened + Careful.

Quickened lets you still attack. It's pretty much mandatory for the paladin/sorc, even if it's rather costly.

As for Careful, by the time you are getting into tier 3 as Paladin 6 / Sorc 5 spells like Hypnotic Pattern and Fear are still amazingly useful. I would only recommend this if you plan to up Charisma to at least 18 (I opted for a 20 Charisma in my Paladin 6/ Sorc X) anyway, these spells are still very impactful in tier 3 because of how well they deal with many adversaries and you have no problems maintaining concentration with Aura of Protection and Resilient Constitution.

Depending on how your DM rules (I.e. do they worship sage advice) you can pick up spells like sleet storm and stinking cloud and really wreak havoc on a battleground.

RogueJK
2020-11-11, 12:07 PM
Both Twinned and Quickened are the standards for Pal 6/Sorc X because they function so well together and play to the paladin's play style well.

Yep. They're what I used on both of the Sorcadins I've played, and they worked well.

Twinned is fantastic for anyone with access to a lot of single target buffs, like Sorcadins.

Quickened is very handy for rounds when your Action is taken up with other things, like Dashing into position or using your Channel Divinity or Lay on Hands, and you still want to be able to buff yourself or toss out a spell to contribute some damage. It also lets you do stuff like Attack+Extra Attack+Booming Blade for a big melee damage round (plus 3x chances to Smite).

Keravath
2020-11-11, 01:43 PM
Depends on the focus. Subtle is purely for if you want out of combat utility, careful adds a lot of control versatility but only worth it if you expect to play at sorcerer 5+ for an extended amount of time. Finally quickened is really just a fun damage boost to throw out another booming blade or hold person to allow a nasty turn.

I'd have to disagree a bit with that, especially at higher level. Counterspell is an important element in higher level combat with spells. A subtle spell can't usually be counterspelled because there isn't a way to see it being cast which does provide some significant combat utility depending on the circumstances.

However, the most common first metamagic picks seem to be twin and quicken. Quicken can be good in getting a spell out on the first round of combat while still allowing the character to take the attack action. Twin allows for more targets which is frequently useful.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-11-12, 10:48 PM
I'll jump on the bandwagon here and agree with Quickened (probably even before Twinned). As others have said, it's not just for attacking; sometimes you just need to do one of the many things you can do with your action to get yourself in position or whatever... Lay on Hands or Turn on top of a spell: yes please.