PDA

View Full Version : Resilient Sphere and Paladin's Aura of Protection

Crucius
2020-11-11, 10:53 AM
Someone is afflicted by hold person and an ally protects them with Resilient Sphere. The paladin then runs up to the paralyzed player to provide aid with the repeat save through their aura.

Does the paralyzed player in the sphere get the bonus to their saving throw?

Nothing – not physical objects, energy, or other spell effects – can pass through the barrier, in or out, though a creature in the sphere can breathe there. The sphere is immune to all damage, and a creature or object inside can’t be damaged by attacks or effects originating from outside, nor can a creature inside the sphere damage anything outside it.

As you can see the spell says nothing can pass through, but the aura doesn't need to pass through I guess? At most I would label it as 'energy' and it would be blocked, though the feature does not specify that it radiates anything at all.

I'm stumped. What do you all say?

PhoenixPhyre
2020-11-11, 11:20 AM
Someone is afflicted by hold person and an ally protects them with Resilient Sphere. The paladin then runs up to the paralyzed player to provide aid with the repeat save through their aura.

Does the paralyzed player in the sphere get the bonus to their saving throw?

As you can see the spell says nothing can pass through, but the aura doesn't need to pass through I guess? At most I would label it as 'energy' and it would be blocked, though the feature does not specify that it radiates anything at all.

I'm stumped. What do you all say?

I'd say that the spell trumps anything else--the obvious (to me) intent is that nothing outside the sphere can affect anything inside the sphere for good or bad. They're completely cut off from the outside world.

But I wouldn't object if a DM ruled the other way.