PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Does this work (post Tasha's) Tortle Bladesinger/Hexblade?

Klorox
2020-11-11, 01:49 PM
Start: 8/8/15/16/10/16 (or whatever).

AC with bladesong is 20

Bladesinger 6: you can cast a cantrip instead of one of your attack actions.

Warlock 2:

Eldritch blast (2 blasts) + melee weapon attack.

By then, you would've bumped CHA to +4 so you're doing 2d10+8 +1d8+4 damage, assuming you don't have Hex on an enemy. With a 20 AC

Gignere
2020-11-11, 01:54 PM
Start: 8/8/15/16/10/16 (or whatever).

AC with bladesong is 20

Bladesinger 6: you can cast a cantrip instead of one of your attack actions.

Warlock 2:

Eldritch blast (2 blasts) + melee weapon attack.

By then, you would've bumped CHA to +4 so you're doing 2d10+8 +1d8+4 damage, assuming you don't have Hex on an enemy. With a 20 AC

It can be done but unless you have XBE feat your Eldritch Blasts will be made with disadvantage.

CMCC
2020-11-11, 02:23 PM
It can be done but unless you have XBE feat your Eldritch Blasts will be made with disadvantage.
and at that point, why not just use a hand crossbow - especially with reduced bladesong usage at lower tier 1-2. Since you're already not using booming blade as the cantrip, you can add a BA attack. And the hand crossbow won't effect the bladesong if it's active.

And if you take the 3rd level in warlock - you can just max charisma and intelligence. Defense suffers though. Prob not the best.

Klorox
2020-11-11, 02:30 PM
and at that point, why not just use a hand crossbow - especially with reduced bladesong usage at lower tier 1-2.

I was thinking this would be against two (or 3) different foes.

But using a hand crossbow is a great ranged option as well. I didn't realize bladesingers could use a hand crossbow and still have the song active.

BTW, I realize one of the toughest "ASI taxes" on the original bladesinger was that you really needed to work on maximizing INT and DEX, and this solution only moves that tax from DEX to CHA, but it's pretty cool when you realize how much damage you can do, and still end up with 18 levels of wizard in a 20 level build.

cutlery
2020-11-11, 02:40 PM
I suppose it works, insofar as removing the need for dexterity, but it adds the need for charisma; so I don't think it is that great a help. It at least solves the proficiency problem with pact of the blade, I suppose.

Klorox
2020-11-11, 02:44 PM
I suppose it works, insofar as removing the need for dexterity, but it adds the need for charisma; so I don't think it is that great a help. It at least solves the proficiency problem with pact of the blade, I suppose.

What problem is that?

CMCC
2020-11-11, 03:14 PM

By adding xbe, at level 17, you're adding 4 additional attacks (3 - beyond your normal attack- from EB; and the BA attack). That adds up quite a bit with Shroud. XBE also allows for the 10 foot range. Throw on sharpshooter and the devils site/darkness combo and you're doing a ton of damage.

Gignere
2020-11-11, 03:55 PM
By adding xbe, at level 17, you're adding 4 additional attacks (3 - beyond your normal attack- from EB; and the BA attack). That adds up quite a bit with Shroud. XBE also allows for the 10 foot range. Throw on sharpshooter and the devils site/darkness combo and you're doing a ton of damage.

Can’t have both darkness and shroud up. Without some minion shenanigans.

CMCC
2020-11-11, 04:12 PM
Can’t have both darkness and shroud up. Without some minion shenanigans.

Or party help. But the point is a good one. Curse works well here if you’re using darkness.

cutlery
2020-11-11, 05:04 PM
What problem is that?

A monoclassed bladesinger is only proficient with one martial weapon unless they gain additional proficiencies from race.

CMCC
2020-11-11, 06:16 PM
A monoclassed bladesinger is only proficient with one martial weapon unless they gain additional proficiencies from race.
Ah did you mean to day that "pact of the blade solves the proficiency problem with bladesinger"? The way you worded it, makes it sound like the problem is with pact of the blade itself.

Klorox
2020-11-11, 06:34 PM
I’m still looking at this and seeing a pretty damn cool combo.

The only other way I can think to rock the new bladesinger is with a Tortle who throws 3 levels into artificer to use INT to attack.

Level 11 (wizard 8/artificer 3): INT is now 20 so while bladesong is active you have a 22 AC (no magic items) and a +5 in your attack stat.