PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Homebrew race: Verling. Basically, tieflings, but make them fae

LiteralMachine
2020-11-11, 03:09 PM
Howdy! I've written up a homebrew race for a campaign I'm planning to run, and I'd appreciate any feedback on the idea. I'd also love to know how it goes if you use this race in your game!

In terms of stats, verlings are modeled after the base tiefling race, but with faerie legacy rather than infernal. I removed fire resistance in favor of a couple custom traits that take advantage of boosted Charisma and Wisdom, and swapped out the tieflings spells to something more in-theme for fae, with more of a focus on social interactions rather than purely combat. I originally intended for this to be a tiefling variant, but the stats are sufficiently different that I think it makes more sense as its own distinct race.

A google doc version exists, and I intend to share it on D&D Beyond eventually, though it looks like I need more forum activity before I'm allowed to post urls!

Verling

To be a verling is to be met with suspicion and paranoia by society. A bargain struck by your distant ancestor with an Archfey or Eladrin Lord has forever marked your bloodline, and everybody knows faeries are untrustworthy. Whenever you walk through town, parents grab their children as though they think you're about to spirit them off to the Feywild. Not that you could, even if you wanted to — you're no more a faerie than a tiefling is a demon.

Fae Bloodline

Just as a tiefling is born to a mortal line touched by something fiendish, a verling bears traces of the Feywild. Faerie heritage shapes mortals just as drastically as Infernal, though a verling's horns more often take after deer or elk than ram or goat. The finer details of their forms, however, are as diverse and wild as the Fae themselves. Some are small and slender, with skin that shimmers like opal in moonlight. Some might be mistaken for firbolg, but for their branching horns and unearthly eyes.

A verling's eyes are usually a solid color, with no visible sclera or pupil. Blue, gold, green, and white are common, though some shimmer with rainbow iridescence or glow like starlit ice. A verling's skin and hair may likewise take any color found among humans, or shades of blue, green, and yellow. Some are dappled, or have natural patterns that resemble tattoos. They invariably have horns and tails, though the tail of a verling is often more slender than that of a tiefling, and may have a tufted tip.

A verling's pointed teeth, however, function very much the same as those of their Infernal counterparts.

Mischievous, Aloof, or Anything In Between

Verlings vary greatly in temperament, though they do tend to have an unearthly air, as well as a fondness for wordplay. Speaking with a verling can be unnerving, as their opaque eyes always seem to be gazing at something unseen, and their musical voices seem to be laughing at a joke only they can hear. Some verlings are passionate, impulsive, and whimsical, some might be cunning tricksters, and some might be icy, remote wanderers. This variety among individuals gives verlings a reputation for being chaotic and unpredictable — admittedly, the reputation is sometimes well-earned, but the stereotype leads to difficulties when interacting with those not of their kind.

Suspicious and Suspect

Like tieflings, verlings are accustomed to being mistrusted by other races. As a result, verlings may be suspicious of people who profess loyalty to them, and instinctively fall back on Fae tendencies to secure bargains or deals rather than friendships. The worst insult you can offer a verling is a broken promise, and the easiest way to earn their respect is to drive a bargain as craftily as them.

It's rare to find a verling anywhere but the edges of society. Some eschew it altogether. Verling hermits and wandering adventurers are common, and those that do live in cities tend to find their abilities useful in the intersection of the polite and criminal worlds. Depending on the time and place, tieflings and verlings may share a grim sort of camaraderie, or they may be at each other’s throats as they scrabble for whatever shreds of respect the rest of the population is willing to dole out. At the end of the day, whether your horns are pointed or branching, it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference when the torches and pitchforks come out.

Verling Traits

Verlings share certain racial traits as a result of their faerie descent.

Ability Score Increase
Your Wisdom score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.

Verlings mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer.

Alignment
Verlings have no particular tendency towards good or evil. While many favor clever trickery and mischievousness, those traits are almost always tempered by deep instincts to honor bargains, deals, and promises. Those that delight in keeping only to the letter of their bargains might tend towards Chaotic alignments, while those that hold steadfast to the spirit of a promise tend towards Lawful. The only thing for certain is that Neutrality is rare among verlings.

Size
Verlings are about the same size and build as humans, give or take. Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision
Thanks to your Feywild heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Faerie Guile
You may use Charisma (Deception) instead of Charisma (Persuasion) when telling the truth, or you may use Charisma (Persuasion) instead of Charisma (Deception) when telling a lie. When you do so, you gain Advantage on the roll. You can use this feature one time per long rest.

Faerie Sight
You may use Wisdom (Perception) instead of Intelligence (Investigation) for skill checks to detect magical illusions, and you have proficiency on checks used for this purpose. If you already have proficiency in the skill, you have expertise (double your proficiency bonus) on checks used for this purpose.

Feywild Legacy
You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the color spray spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the suggestion spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.

Garfunion
2020-11-13, 11:23 AM
Do you have a picture or other reference on what this race is supposed to be, or is this something that you created yourself?

Faerie Guile
Could be simplified by giving them the friends cantrip and allow them to cast it without using somatic or material components. I think it fits the nature of the race that you described.

Faerie Sight
Can also be simplified by just giving them advantage on ability checks and saving throws against illusions.

LiteralMachine
2020-11-13, 05:08 PM
Do you have a picture or other reference on what this race is supposed to be, or is this something that you created yourself?

Faerie Guile
Could be simplified by giving them the friends cantrip and allow them to cast it without using somatic or material components. I think it fits the nature of the race that you described.

Faerie Sight
Can also be simplified by just giving them advantage on ability checks and saving throws against illusions.

Thank you for your feedback! It's very useful stuff to think about, though I don't know that I entirely agree with your suggestions.

"Friends" is a bit of a tricky spell, because after a minute, the creature you used it on figures it out and ends up hostile. Seeing as verlings already have a set of spells they can cast at will under Feywild legacy, adding another cantrip to a different ability muddles things as well. I think this version more subtle, and I like that for this race.

For faerie sight, the text of all the illusion spells that can be broken by examining them states that they require an Investigation check. I know a lot of GM's house-rule it so that you could use Perception or even Insight, if it's an illusion on a creature, but to remove ambiguity I think it makes sense to explicitly say that you can use both Perception and Investigation.

There aren't actually many Illusion spells that require saving throws (only nine, as of my count), and I think that could cause some confusion in high-stakes situations. For example, Fear is an illusion spell that takes a wisdom saving throw, and a lich's Frightening Gaze does something similar, but would this ability work on both? And as far as complexity, I think it's simpler to have it only apply to checks to detect illusions, rather than both checks to detect illusions and saving throws to resist Illusion spells.

Also, I made up the race myself, so there are no pictures. A couple friends of mine have said they might draw some verling fan art, so there might be some references, eventually!

Garfunion
2020-11-14, 01:17 AM
I’m just trying to provide a bit more potency to the race. As it is right now (to me) it is a little lackluster. You have given it some pretty narrow focused feature.

I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem that interesting to me.

I would rather play a half-elf who chooses investigation as one of their free skill and play a divine soul sorcerer.

LiteralMachine
2020-11-14, 10:27 AM
And here I thought this might be overpowered! I was trying to place it on the same tier as a tiefling, rather than a half-elf, and I was worried this would be strictly an upgrade over tieflings, rather than a counterpart.

Tieflings are pretty underpowered compared to half-elves (and most races in general, really all they’ve got going for them is fire resistance), and I feel like most people play them for the roleplay potential rather than the fairly lackluster stats. Half-elves are pretty dang broken compared to everything else, tbh, with their Skill Versatility alone. You could say “this would be better as a half-elf” about almost any racial choice.

To make verlings a bit more combat-capable, I could see your point about adding advantage on saving throws against illusion magic, or granting proficiency to a Charisma skill of the player’s choice. Maybe also resistance to psychic damage? That’s much more specialized than fire resistance, but verlings get more features than tieflings to make up for it.

I still think the Friends cantrip is a downgrade, because it makes the target hostile to you when it ends, though.