PDA

View Full Version : Survey for draconic UA

Millstone85
2020-11-11, 06:01 PM
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/survey-subclasses5

For all who want to give WotC their feedback.

Citadel97501
2020-11-11, 07:06 PM
TY, that was appreciated. I like providing my insight.

Kane0
2020-11-11, 10:11 PM
Perfect, now I just have to dig out what I said about it...

Sigreid
2020-11-11, 10:41 PM
Thanks. I rated them pretty high and commented that I think I may like them too much as it would be really hard for me to find a reason to play another subclass for monk.

Gtdead
2020-11-11, 10:52 PM
I told them that Monk subclass is a great general purpose subclass that addresses one of the weakness of the Monk chassis, being swarms of enemies. As for the Drakewarden, I told them that he is very cool and then explained the concept of BA clog.

Millstone85
2020-11-12, 11:48 AM
Here is what I wrote them:

When making a Draconic Bloodline sorcerer, the player is presented with a definitive choice between acid, cold, fire, lightning and poison damage, which informs later features.

This, in my opinion, makes sense both mechanically and thematically. I don't think it is a good idea to give other draconic characters the ability to freely shift between damage types.

Other than that, I liked this UA, which I hope is indicative of an upcoming Draconomicon-like book. Maybe with the return of the brainstealer and catastrophic dragons? :-)

MrStabby
2020-11-12, 02:14 PM
Good alert. Glad I provided feedback.

General gist was a step in the right direction but not transformative enough at higher levels.

Unoriginal
2020-11-12, 02:58 PM
I hope neither of those classes will get nerfed too much. Changed, sure, but not made weaker.

Tvtyrant
2020-11-12, 04:58 PM
I said Monk should be decoupled from dragons but otherwise kept the same. Ranger I don't really care.

Yakmala
2020-11-12, 05:32 PM
Filled out the survey. I'm really looking forward to playing a Way of the Ascendant Dragon monk and may even switch to one in the homebrew game I'm in, DM permitting. I play in AL as well, and if they sold a cert for for this subclass as part of an Extra Life or other charity campaign, I'd probably buy it.

Drakewarden looks fun. Who doesn't want a dragon pet? And I like that the drake functions similar to a Steel Defender. It will be a toss-up between this and Swarm next time I play a Ranger.

Unoriginal
2020-11-12, 05:37 PM
I said Monk should be decoupled from dragons

So you want a monk with breath attacks and flight, who isn't related to dragons in any way?

Tvtyrant
2020-11-12, 05:40 PM
So you want a monk with breath attacks and flight, who isn't related to dragons in any way?

I want a Monk with elemental attacks and flight who uses decent mechanics and isn't attached to dragons in any way. The dragon Monk is the first good shonen/street fighter Monk they have made, the dragon part is a little overdone and silly.

Take out dragonwings and stick flashsteps in and breath weapons as ki attacks and you have a basic shonen character.

Brookshw
2020-11-14, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one who looked at Drakewarden and thought "[pokemon], I choose you!"

P. G. Macer
2020-11-15, 01:03 AM
Am I the only one who looked at Drakewarden and thought "[pokemon], I choose you!"

The though occurred to me as well, especially as the drake is impermanent.

TurboGhast
2020-11-15, 07:55 PM
I want a Monk with elemental attacks and flight who uses decent mechanics and isn't attached to dragons in any way. The dragon Monk is the first good shonen/street fighter Monk they have made, the dragon part is a little overdone and silly.

Take out dragonwings and stick flashsteps in and breath weapons as ki attacks and you have a basic shonen character.

Just because it's a breath weapon doesn't mean it's not a ki attack. (https://youtu.be/JykxcahWM6w?t=76)

On a more serious note, the class abilities don't seem tied to draconic themes enough to make refluffing them to generic ki effects difficult. Fire and cold damage can be justified by manipulating your body temperature with ki, poison by transferring malignant ki into the target, acid by using ki to melt the target, and lighting by using ki to generate static electricity. Wings unfurled can be turned into short range ki flight by removing the wings. Aspect of the Wyrm becomes an aura of protective ki. The capstone lets you sense other people's ki, as well as upgrading previous abilities.