PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next want input on magical items

KittenMagician
2020-11-11, 08:18 PM
Looking for some input on some magical items i came up with for my campaign

Crystal Armor
Armor (plate), very rare

Appearance: This armor has an appearance of clear quartz crystal. As it falls apart it changes to pink, then red, then a deep blood red, almost black. As it overgrows it becomes bluish, then teal and then green.

Stats: This armor is +3 plate armor that provides an additional 60 temporary hp. When the temporary hp drops to 40 the bonus to AC drops to +2 and at 20 it drops to +1 and at 0 it drops away completely. at the beginning of your turn the armor regains 1d10 temporary hp regaining the bonuses to AC at the same cut off points.

Curse: Overgrowth: When the armor reaches full temporary hp of 60, roll a d20. on a 1 the armor continues to grow past the 60 temporary hp. At 80 temporary hp the bonus to AC increases to +4 but your speed is reduced to 1/2 and you have disadvantage on attacks and strength and dexterity saving throws. At 100 temporary hp the AC bonus goes up to +5 but you can't move and you can't attack and automatically fail all strength and dexterity saving throw. At 120 temporary hp you further gain resistance to all damage and can't breath in addition to not being able to move, attack, and automatically failing all strength and dexterity saving throws.

Unicorn Hair
wonderous item, very rare

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to heal a creature within 60 ft for one roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Nightmare Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to make a creature within 60ft roll a wisdom saving throw against spell save DC or become frightened of you for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the save at the start of each of its turns if it is 120 ft or more from you or can't see you. This ability doesn't work on fiends, undead, or constructs. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Dehydrated Mindflayer Tentacle

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to make a creature within 60ft roll a intelligence saving throw against spell save DC or become stunned until the end of its next turn. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Entwined Genie Hairs

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to have a creature within 60 ft deal an additional amount of fire, cold, slashing, or bludgeoning damage, your choice, on its next attack equal to a roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Quickling Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to double the speed of a creature within 60 ft until the start of your next turn. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Vampire Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to deal necrotic damage to a creature within 60 ft for one roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. You gain hp equal to the amount of damage done this way. Undead and constructs are immune to this damage. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Master Rider's Saddle
Wonderous item, rare (requires attunement by a mountable creature)

A fairly ornate saddle that comfortably seats two creatures.

No creature may mount the attuned animal unless it allows them to do so.

Any creature riding the saddle has advantage on checks against being forced to dismount.

Slayer's Ring
Wonderous item (ring), rare (requires attunement)

Grants +2 to hit against creatures of a size larger than you.

Whenever you deal damage to a creature that is at least two sizes larger than you, you deal an additional 1d6 damage.

If you attune to more than one Slayer's item they count as one attuned item and you gain the following benefits:
2 Items: You have advantage on attacks against a creature type of your choice. You choose this creature type when you attune to more than 1 Slayer's items. This choice can never be changed.
3 Items: Your attacks now count as a critical on a roll of 19 or 20. If you already score a critical on those numbers you also score a critical on an 18. If again you already score a critical on 18 you score a critical on a 17 as well.
4 Items: Choose a second creature type as per the "2 items". All damage you deal to a creature of the types you chose is increased by twice your proficiency bonus.
5 Items: Creature of the types you chose have disadvantage on attack rolls against you.

Curse: Each day at dawn roll a d100. For each item of this set you have attuned beyond the first gives you a cumulative 20% chance to be attacked by a creature of the DM's choice that day. The creature ignores everyone except for you. If another creature hampers it from getting to you, it will do whatever it takes to get to you. If the creature kills you, it will attempt to take the Slayer's items you have and leave.

Slayer's Belt
Wonderous item (belt), very rare (requires attunement)

This belt grants the potential for great strength. Whenever you land the killing blow on a creature the strength granted by this belt becomes the strength value of the creature killed. Your strength is this value unless your strength would be higher. If another creature attunes to this belt the strength value granted by this belt is reset to 0.

If you attune to more than one Slayer's item they count as one attuned item and you gain the following benefits:
2 Items: You have advantage on attacks against a creature type of your choice. You choose this creature type when you attune to more than 1 Slayer's items. This choice can never be changed.
3 Items: Your attacks now count as a critical on a roll of 19 or 20. If you already score a critical on those numbers you also score a critical on an 18. If again you already score a critical on 18 you score a critical on a 17 as well.
4 Items: Choose a second creature type as per the "2 items". All damage you deal to a creature of the types you chose is increased by twice your proficiency bonus.
5 Items: Creature of the types you chose have disadvantage on attack rolls against you.

Curse: Each day at dawn roll a d100. For each item of this set you have attuned beyond the first gives you a cumulative 20% chance to be attacked by a creature of the DM's choice that day. The creature ignores everyone except for you. If another creature hampers it from getting to you, it will do whatever it takes to get to you. If the creature kills you, it will attempt to take the Slayer's items you have and leave.

Slayer's Scabbard
Wonderous item, rare (requires attunement)

Any sword, dagger, or scimitar will fit in this scabbard.

When you draw a weapon from this scabbard for the first time since the last dawn, choose a creature type. Creatures of the chosen type lose any resistance or immunities to damage done by this weapon for as long as you have it on your person or until the next dawn.

im working on coming up with more Slayer's items.

Hitakoh
2020-11-13, 04:48 PM
Crystal armor is broken. Out of battle you gain 1d10 every 6 seconds, at some not very far moment you are sure to end up being stuck so you will just constantly asking somebody to stike your temporary HP.

I would make the armor having a regenerarion on temp HP equal to it s magical bonus per turn as well as having a treshold to reduce the damage you take by the same amount and change the curse with saving throws applied once per hour. One fail makes you move up by one stage and one success reduce it up by 1 stage. You cannot remove the armor if you are at least at stage 1 unless a remove curse is used on the armor. This way, only the stronger people will use this thing and having +60 temp HP on an armor is just nonsense IMO.

Make the regenerarion not stackable, as per the usual rules on temp HP. You do not have extra HP, instead, you choose which amount you want to keep so the regeneration is only maxed at the magical bonus of the armor

Will look and review at your other magic item at some other moment.

Hitakoh
2020-11-13, 09:19 PM
Most strings are fine, I find the stunning one very very strong.

My advice is that save DC for items should be fixed and not evolving with the PC. The power comes from the item, not the bard, but require attunement by a bard.

I'm not fond of the genie dealing elemental damage it doesnt feel bard enaugh. May be you should find something that deal psychic damage instead. The other one dealing necrotic damage feels not too much bard but I've seen bloody string in some final fantasy games I can understand it. I'd make it require evil for attuning to it.

It's all opinion based take it with a grain of salt, over all I like it a lot, especially the healing one and the frightning one.

Composer99
2020-11-14, 02:59 PM
Looking for some input on some magical items i came up with for my campaign

Crystal Armor
Armor (plate), very rare

Appearance: This armor has an appearance of clear quartz crystal. As it falls apart it changes to pink, then red, then a deep blood red, almost black. As it overgrows it becomes bluish, then teal and then green.

Stats: This armor is +3 plate armor that provides an additional 60 temporary hp. When the temporary hp drops to 40 the bonus to AC drops to +2 and at 20 it drops to +1 and at 0 it drops away completely. at the beginning of your turn the armor regains 1d10 temporary hp regaining the bonuses to AC at the same cut off points.

Curse: Overgrowth: When the armor reaches full temporary hp of 60, roll a d20. on a 1 the armor continues to grow past the 60 temporary hp. At 80 temporary hp the bonus to AC increases to +4 but your speed is reduced to 1/2 and you have disadvantage on attacks and strength and dexterity saving throws. At 100 temporary hp the AC bonus goes up to +5 but you can't move and you can't attack and automatically fail all strength and dexterity saving throw. At 120 temporary hp you further gain resistance to all damage and can't breath in addition to not being able to move, attack, and automatically failing all strength and dexterity saving throws.

As Hitakoh has noted, this armour is wickedly overpowered. I might also add that it is fiddly - far too fiddly for the design aesthetic of 5e, at least in my view.

I would strongly suggest going back to the drawing board on this one. Perhaps something like getting 20 temporary hit points each time you finish a short or long rest, and whenever they are depleted, the armour's bonus to AC decreases by 1, with the armour's bonus resetting to +3 when you finish a long rest?

For the musical strings for bards, I concur with Hitakoh that (a) if they call for a saving throw, the save DC is inherent to the item - just as more or less every other magic item works - and (b) they should require attunement by a bard. Also, I would suggest adding "that can hear you" to the text that defines who is an eligible target, making the sentence at the end redundant. Finally, you need to specify what kind of action is required to pluck the string - an action, bonus action, free item interaction, or no action.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Unicorn Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to heal a creature within 60 ft for one roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

This is fine apart from the general comments noted above.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Nightmare Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to make a creature within 60ft roll a wisdom saving throw against spell save DC or become frightened of you for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the save at the start of each of its turns if it is 120 ft or more from you or can't see you. This ability doesn't work on fiends, undead, or constructs. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Dehydrated Mindflayer Tentacle

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to make a creature within 60ft roll a intelligence saving throw against spell save DC or become stunned until the end of its next turn. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Given how powerful the effect is, this should be more rare than the other strings.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Entwined Genie Hairs

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to have a creature within 60 ft deal an additional amount of fire, cold, slashing, or bludgeoning damage, your choice, on its next attack equal to a roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

This is fine apart from the general comments noted above. I'd rather give the option to deal acid, lightning, and/or thunder damage, instead of bludgeoning or slashing damage. I'd also add that the effect also ends if unused by the start of your next turn.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Quickling Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to double the speed of a creature within 60 ft until the start of your next turn. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Musical Instrument Strings for bards Vampire Hair

While applied to a stringed instrument you may pluck the string to use its effect. Expend a use of bardic inspiration to deal necrotic damage to a creature within 60 ft for one roll of the bardic inspiration die + cha modifier. You gain hp equal to the amount of damage done this way. Undead and constructs are immune to this damage. A creature that can't hear you is immune to this effect.

Master Rider's Saddle
Wonderous item, rare (requires attunement by a mountable creature)

A fairly ornate saddle that comfortably seats two creatures.

No creature may mount the attuned animal unless it allows them to do so.

Any creature riding the saddle has advantage on checks against being forced to dismount.

I'd be inclined not to require attunement with this item, and also to allow the creature who owns the saddle to decide who is allowed to use it.

As a general remark for the Slayer's set, I'm not keen on the curse. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is supposed to be a set of items that enhances the wearer's combat prowess, I'd be inclined to restrict its effect to weapon attacks. I suspect that the overall effect of having all of the items will end up being wildly overpowered, but we will have to see how the other items work out.

Overall, I think it would be worth toning the set down some, as well as tweaking some of the wording here and there.

The slayer's set Slayer's Ring
Wonderous item (ring), rare (requires attunement)

Grants +2 to hit against creatures of a size larger than you.

Whenever you deal damage to a creature that is at least two sizes larger than you, you deal an additional 1d6 damage.

The slayer's set Slayer's Belt
Wonderous item (belt), very rare (requires attunement)

This belt grants the potential for great strength. Whenever you land the killing blow on a creature the strength granted by this belt becomes the strength value of the creature killed. Your strength is this value unless your strength would be higher. If another creature attunes to this belt the strength value granted by this belt is reset to 0.

The slayer's set Slayer's Scabbard
Wonderous item, rare (requires attunement)

Any sword, dagger, or scimitar will fit in this scabbard.

When you draw a weapon from this scabbard for the first time since the last dawn, choose a creature type. Creatures of the chosen type lose any resistance or immunities to damage done by this weapon for as long as you have it on your person or until the next dawn.