PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Party Combos?

Starman
2020-11-12, 01:22 AM
We don't often hear about party combos. Often, adventurer's want to be independently awesome and not part of a greater whole. But great capabilities await those parties that coordinate their build choices to make a stronger party.

A few of my favorite party combos . . .

1) The Classic Cheese Grater.

Requirements:

A) a speedster/grappler (e.g. Tabaxi Monk)

B) a caster with Spike Growth

C) a caster with Enlarge/Reduce (optional)

With some coordination a party can turn the speedster Monk into an insane creature destroyer. Spike Growth allows the speedster to convert movement into auto-hit magical piercing damage. This combo will likely be enhanced by the introduction of Rune Knight and their Concentration-free Enlarge ability

2) Ghostbusters

Requirements:

A) 1+ Rings of Spell Storing

B) 9th level Wizard with Wall of Force, Wall of Light

C) source of obscurement, e.g. Fog Cloud, Pyrotechnics, or Eversmoking Bottle (optional)

With one or more Rings of Spell Storing not only can you do team coordinating things like gifting everyone a Familiar and a Find Greater Steed but you can also set up some fantastic BBEG death traps.

Charge up a Ring of Spell Storing with a Wall of Light and give it to a party member and you have the foundation for a BBEG death trap. After the player autohits the BBEG with a Wall of Light, the Wizard imprisons the BBEG in a Wall of Force. This will gradually kill almost any BBEG.

This tactic is scaleable. Can the BBEG teleport out of the Wall of Force? No problem. Another caster could cast Fog Cloud before the Wizard casts Wall of Force. Need more damage? Just have another Ring of Spell Storing and load another Wall of Light spell onto it.

If the party winds up with a plentiful number of Rings of Spell Storing then tactics like spamming Suggestion become really powerful.

3) Blind Fury

Requirements:

A) low-end version: Darkness plus multiple Candles of the Deep

B) high-end version: Fog Cloud plus multiple Daggers of Blindsight. Tasha's adds Blind Fighting + Alert as an option.

Everyone groans when the Warlock attempts the Darkness + Devil's Sight Combo and inevitably steps on the toes of the other players who get their vision shut off. However, if everyone gets a common magic item known as the Candle of the Deep then they can maintain a small bubble of magical light around themselves when they want and accomodate the Warlock's selfishness.

The higher-end version involves using heavy obscurement in a party where everyone is effectively immune to that condition (via Dagger of Blindsight, Wildshape into creature with Blindsight, or Blind Fighting Style). It is very hard to organize and get every member of the party on board with this tactic, but if you do the payoff is huge - the entire team will enjoy a tremendous boost in capability. Everyone in the party gets advantage to hit and disadvantage at being hit and cannot be affected by spells or effects requiring a visible target.

What are some of your favorite party combos?

MaxWilson
2020-11-12, 02:58 AM

I like synergies that overlap on multiple levels: something you'd want to do ANYWAY which just happens to be even better when you do it at party scale.

For example, an all-Mobile party is fantastic and can beat many encounters with near-zero resource expenditure.

So is a party where everybody is has good AC and is either a Devil's Sight warlock, a Moon Druid in a form with blindsight (e.g. Giant Constrictor Snake), or a PC with Alert. Instead of the warlock's Darkness being mostly neutral (because disadvantage for being unable to see the target cancels out advantage for being unseen), it becomes advantage for those with blindsight/Devil's sight and disadvantage to almost all enemies. Bonus points if a wizard summons a bunch of Tiny Servants (blindsight) and the druid conjures up a bunch of giant poisonous snakes (also blindsight). It's not just Darkness either, you can also have a wizard produce concentration-free heavy obscurement with Pyrotechnics if everyone wants to concentrate on other things. It's not like Alert isn't already a great feat for the surprise nullification and initiative bonus, but when it's also making it near-impossible for most enemies to hit you (because even your base AC is ~18ish and now they've got disadvantage too) it becomes even better. That's the kind of party-wide synergy that interests me. Even moreso if the party has cheap healing (e.g. Shepherd Druid temp HP, or Extended Aura of Vitality) so that what damage does get done doesn't really count for much.

An all-Goblin party where someone happens to have Pass Without Trace up is also very interesting, particularly if they are Skulkers too. Note: you don't have to actually have the entire party be Goblins or Skulkers here, it also works when a subset of the party splits off to do stealth work (e.g. Goblin Shepherdlock and Goblin Hexvoker), potentially even if the other party is without support range e.g. one or two rooms or a long corridor away.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-12, 04:21 AM
Three we used:

Suprise Wizard - Dimension Door with the wizard on the head of the enemy wizard.
Work great if the enemy wizard ready a fireball and your wizard just counter it.
With the new member of the party I need to try a suprise Dwarf(barbarian).
Already did a suprise Slaad.

Microwave - combination of Wall of Force and Sickening Radiance.
Our DM told us that he considered to move us one step towards Evil alignment for this.

Blender - Wall of Force and Storm Sphere.
Faster death, less evil.

Our greave cleric had a nice combo with the warlock.
Path to the grave+Hold monster/person+upcast inflict wounds.
(Written by order of actions).

In Darkness we stand - shadow sorcerer darkness+devil sight warlock+monk with dagger of blindsight+moon druid gaint Scorpion or Earth elemental+wizard hiding in a portable hole concentrating on a high level spell.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-12, 08:37 AM
We don't often hear about party combos.

We do have a party optimization thread that you might be interested in.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-11-12, 12:57 PM
Blender - Wall of Force and Storm Sphere. Faster death, less evil.

How's it a "blender"? No blades involved. Sound more like a "Tempest in a Teapot".

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-12, 01:39 PM
How's it a "blender"? No blades involved. Sound more like a "Tempest in a Teapot".

We wanted to call it washing machine but it just sounds wrong.
The blades can be the B damage from the sphere if you look at the end result and not the way you got there.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-11-12, 02:58 PM
We wanted to call it washing machine but it just sounds wrong.

Lol - I actually like that!

Bilbron
2020-11-12, 03:38 PM
We do have a party optimization thread that you might be interested in.I'm interested, but don't see it in the pinned thread section?

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-12, 03:49 PM
I'm interested, but don't see it in the pinned thread section?
Here you go (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24602070&postcount=1)

Ir0ns0ul
2020-11-12, 07:12 PM
I had really good combinations by running a Wizard and partnering with a fellow Land Druid.

From resourceless and low-level combos like my Wizard casting Create Bonfire and the Druid moving the enemies with Thorn Whip. Mid-level combos like Spike Growth and Thunderwave and/or Suggestion.

Our signature move was Web + Flaming Sphere and then Pyrotechnics when Web was consumed by the fire.

Emongnome777
2020-11-12, 09:18 PM
I realize it isn't quite what you're asking, but I like leaning into the short rest classes. I have in mind a fighter, monk, warlock, and rogue (thief) with healer feat. I ran this group at 1st level through the old house at the start of GoS, made it all the way through without a long rest. It isn't coffeelock level, but it was still fun. And yes, I realize the monk doesn't get his short rest mechanic (ki) until 2nd. :smalltongue: