PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Tasha's: Wild Sorberian

PattThe
2020-11-12, 02:27 AM
I got an opportunity to join my old college roommate for a Tasha's 5e game. I went looking around and thought Wild Magic Barbarian would be a nice fit. However, I got the itch to try something stupid. The 6th level feature of the Wild Barbarian gives a creature you touch one 1st 2nd or 3rd level spell slot back (on a roll of a d3) and I wanted to be able to take in that slot if I rolled a 1, since at that point most spellcasters won't care about their lower level slots. So I'm doing something idiotic and making the most wild magic oriented build I can and then spending the rest of it as a barbarian.

>Triton
Triton gets three sorcerer-list spells using charisma that are all of 1st level or higher. (Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Wall of Water.) With my Dm's approval those all can be used as "sorcerer spells of first level or higher" in terms of applying to my Wild Magic Surges and Tides of Chaos.
>Start as 1st level Wild Magic Sorcerer
Taking Booming Blade, which doesn't use my charisma at all. Can't cast while raging, but I might be able to avoid having to rage every combat if I can lean on such a cantrip. 5th level makes it 2d8 which I think can buy me enough power to be behind on Extra Attack for a level. Really don't know what to do for first level spells so I have Sleep and Magic Missile. Can't go wrong with some ranged auto-damage and the option of ending combat early on a wounded target. If anyone has a better idea I'm here to hear it, but Reaction spells don't work great for me. Conditional requirements like Feather Fall and Shield require that I not be raging. Sleep and Magic Missile can avoid needing to rage by circumventing a conflict or softening up a team pre-initiative. Other cantrips are just support and setting oriented.
>Barbarian
So here's where I start trying to get really silly. I want to make myself well rounded without actually investing my stats all over the place. Once I get to 3rd total level I will unlock Danger Sense to artificially inflate my Dex and Wis saves. My strength save will suffer from not being proficient, but it will still be a high roll. My charisma will be neutral, but I will be proficient. More on this with my feat in the next section. As stated before I am going wild magic barbarian but that is really more-so a reward for if I can make the lower level version of this build function well without it. Once I get to the point where my rages start causing rolls on the d8 surge table I am really just going to be exploding with wild magic 24/7. My plan is to use Tides of Chaos almost exclusively on advantage attack rolls. More wild magic surges means more Tides of Chaos, which means more advantage attacks and thus hopefully, more barbarian crits.
>Tasha's ASI, +2 to one stat and a feat.
+2 to str, rest of my stats are point buy but actually are identical to the stat array. 16 13 15 8 12 10, with an ASI at level 5 for +2 to AC. I keep my wisdom save positive, and the only thing I'm vulnerable to is int saves, which are exceedingly rare. I'm taking Shield Master so that I always have something to do with my bonus action. It also gives me a boost to dexterity saves, effectively floating a higher dexterity than I actually have. Danger sense makes actually passing the saves more likely and thus I can cheese my way into free Evasion 0 damage saves while only having a +1 or +2 dex.
>Outlander background
Free pseudo-ranger qualities? Sure. Finally get my Athletics and Survival skills that I couldn't get from Sorcerer.

So that's my build- my first build in Tasha's! How did I do with using the new resources?
>CG Triton Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 Wild Magic Barbarian 1~ with Shield Master and +2 str. Stat goal by 5th lvl of 16 14 16 8 12 10. Effective saves at +3, +4 at adv, +6, -1, +1 at adv, and +3.
Cast Fog Cloud, Sleep, and Magic Missile to try and get more Tides of Chaos from my roommate (who loves Wild Magic Sorcerer since he played it in one of his first games with me years ago) and thus more crits without needing to attack recklessly all the time.
I only plan on playing this character from 2nd to 7th level. After that point I will have my spell-slot restoring ability to support the team or enable me to surge more. I have no clue what to do after 6th level barbarian, as going 2nd level sorcerer just gives me more restoration qualities for more wild magic surges and not much else. Are there any spells I am missing that could blow the lid on this?

Thanks for reading if ya did. Sorry if this just seems like a blog post and not a good forum entry.