PDA

View Full Version : Psi Warrior from Tasha’s

jaappleton
2020-11-12, 05:56 PM
I have the Psi Warrior from Tasha’s.

How? Especially when it hasn’t been leaked yet? That’s for me to know.

You gain Psi Dice even to twice your proficiency bonus, these work the same as they do for the Soul Knife. They start as d6, go to d8 at 7th level and continueously scale up until d12 at level 17.

You regain these dice every long rest, or can use a bonus action to get one back once per short or long rest.

At third level you gain a few uses for these dice.

You can use one as a reaction when someone within 30ft takes damage, rolling a die and reducing the damage equal to the result plus your Intelligence modifier.

Or once per turn, when you deal damage to a creature within 30ft, roll the die and add the result plus your Intelligence modifier to deal additional damage. That’s Force damage.

There’s plenty more a Psi Warrior can do. Like gain a flying speed, move objects, give allies Half cover, and even cast Telekinesis.

To prevent myself from getting in trouble.... I’ll leave it there for now. I got in trouble recently for doing something that was, in retrospect, incredibly stupid, so let’s leave it here for now.

rlc
2020-11-12, 06:00 PM
Sounds fun.

jaappleton
2020-11-12, 06:04 PM
Sounds fun.

It’s actually quite close to the final UA, but using the newer dice mechanic.

I was worried I’d end up hating it but honestly, I really like it. It’s like a Psionic Battlemaster. Which.... Honestly, that plays it safe. I wish they’d gone a little more wild with it, personally, but it works and it’s got some nice utility and exploration bits.

Unoriginal
2020-11-12, 06:15 PM
Can you get into a mind blast duel with a Mind Flayer?

jaappleton
2020-11-12, 06:17 PM
Can you get into a mind blast duel with a Mind Flayer?

Unfortunately, mind blasts are not an ability the Psi Warrior possesses.

But when they inflict force damage with that previously mentioned ability, they can push or knock a target prone.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-11-12, 06:25 PM
I thought the Psi Warrior seemed pretty powerful in the one shot I ran with one. If it's similar to the UA version I'm thrilled to have another exciting Fighter option for me to never use.

Arkhios
2020-11-12, 06:26 PM
Tbh, the dice mechanic reminds me of some other dice mechanics.... OH WAIT, bardic inspiration or combat superiority, with just a bit more magic in them.

Yakmala
2020-11-12, 06:26 PM
Rumors are, some stores have broken street date, so it would not surprise me if some folks on the internet may have taken it upon themselves to post images from the actual hardcover.

So the info is out there and fairly easy to find, for those who bother to look.

I'll wait to pick up my pre-order on the 17th from my LGS.

As for the class itself, I like it, and I ran the UA version for a bit in a homebrew game. My biggest issue was that the Psychic Blades didn't benefit from magical weapon bonuses, so, they were really good early in the character's career, but once the character got their hands on magical weapons, the Psychic Blades started losing steam. Perhaps they've done something to correct this in the final version, but not holding out hope.

Spiritchaser
2020-11-12, 06:47 PM
I guess the question for me is, will it be as tactically interesting as the echo knight (or close)

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-12, 07:45 PM
You gain Psi Dice even to twice your proficiency bonus, these work the same as they do for the Soul Knife. They start as d6, go to d8 at 7th level and continueously scale up until d12 at level 17.

You regain these dice every long rest, or can use a bonus action to get one back once per short or long rest.

Hmm... in the U/A version the Psi Die upgraded to a d8 at 5th level.
While I did "crap out" using the U/A version with a d6 Psi Die, once I upgraded to a d8, I've never lost my Psi Die since.

I'm not sure 2x Proficiency Bonus per Long Rest is sufficient to get that Jedi feel.
My U/A Psi Knight has the force living in him, and I use my Psi Die multiple times per round.

The Tasha version may just rent the force for special occasions.

I guess the question for me is, will it be as tactically interesting as the echo knight (or close)

Between subclass and Psionic feats, I have something Psionic I can do with my BA, Reaction, and multiple things that require no actions. It appears that stays true with Tasha's.

Dienekes
2020-11-12, 07:48 PM
It’s actually quite close to the final UA, but using the newer dice mechanic.

I was worried I’d end up hating it but honestly, I really like it. It’s like a Psionic Battlemaster. Which.... Honestly, that plays it safe. I wish they’d gone a little more wild with it, personally, but it works and it’s got some nice utility and exploration bits.

Them playing it safe and me wishing they’d gone more wild with the mechanics is pretty much my opinion on all 5e martials really.

Telwar
2020-11-12, 07:52 PM
Rumors are, some stores have broken street date, so it would not surprise me if some folks on the internet may have taken it upon themselves to post images from the actual hardcover.

Le sigh. I remember a B. Dalton's bookstore in the Ballston (Arlington, VA) Mall that would ROUTINELY break street date and put stuff out early. That was nice. But, of course, it's long gone.

cutlery
2020-11-13, 06:18 PM
Psi die plus isn’t mod to damage is neat, but 2x prof bonus psi die seems like a small number.

The telekinesis and psi leap, otoh, are pretty neat.

What are the final version of the psi feats like?

king_steve
2020-11-13, 06:30 PM
Psi die plus isn’t mod to damage is neat, but 2x prof bonus psi die seems like a small number.

The telekinesis and psi leap, otoh, are pretty neat.

What are the final version of the psi feats like?

Wild Talent isn't a thing in Tasha's, Telepathy and Telekinesis are both in and are both +1 to cha/int/wis and an ability.

Telepathy is 60ft limited telepathy, can't respond and must speak the same language plus a free casting of Detect Thoughts once per long rest (can spend a spell slot to cast it again).

Telekinesis is no component mage hand with the bonus action shove, as many times as you want (DC based off the stat you picked when you take the feat).

EDIT: The Telekinesis shove is 5ft towards or away from you, the target can willingly fail the save as well.

Witty Username
2020-11-13, 06:32 PM
How? Especially when it hasn’t been leaked yet? That’s for me to know.

May I just mention that you are one of the most causally magnificent people that regularly make posts to this forum.

I like what I see more than the earlier iterations of the Psychic warrior. Frankly though I am holding out hope for psychic combat rules.

jaappleton
2020-11-13, 06:36 PM
May I just mention that you are one of the most causally magnificent people that regularly make posts to this forum.

Oh so you’re the one! :smalltongue:

In sincerity, thank you. Very nice of you to say.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-11-13, 07:06 PM
I wish they’d gone a little more wild with it, personally, but it works and it’s got some nice utility and exploration bits.
If you're interested, I picked up the mechanic after the UA and pushed it pretty far in my psionics rewrite-- https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/g8T2tW3Z7

(I'm glad to hear psi dice made it through with minimal changes. I don't want to have to do another huge overhaul :p )

jaappleton
2020-11-13, 07:13 PM
If you're interested, I picked up the mechanic after the UA and pushed it pretty far in my psionics rewrite-- https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/g8T2tW3Z7

(I'm glad to hear psi dice made it through with minimal changes. I don't want to have to do another huge overhaul :p )

It’s pretty odd that they kept a dice mechanic for Psionics after JC said in an interview with D&D Beyond that they tossed it out.

I mean, the design team certainly has the right to change their mind, they’re people and not machines.

But... Can’t help but find that weird.

cutlery
2020-11-13, 07:23 PM
It’s pretty odd that they kept a dice mechanic for Psionics after JC said in an interview with D&D Beyond that they tossed it out.

I mean, the design team certainly has the right to change their mind, they’re people and not machines.

The shame is the old mechanic let you get a lot more uses per long rest.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-13, 07:31 PM
Wild Talent isn't a thing in Tasha's, Telepathy and Telekinesis are both in and are both +1 to cha/int/wis and an ability.

Telepathy is 60ft limited telepathy, can't respond and must speak the same language plus a free casting of Detect Thoughts once per long rest (can spend a spell slot to cast it again).

Telekinesis is no component mage hand with the bonus action shove, as many times as you want (DC based off the stat you picked when you take the feat).

EDIT: The Telekinesis shove is 5ft towards or away from you, the target can willingly fail the save as well.

5' was the minimum moved by the Telekinesis feat in U/A. For a Psi Knight I am not sure the final feat is worth it. The best use for the feat I found, was using it to move my fellow PCs into or out of a position. A 5' maximum limit on the movement, certainly dampens it's effectiveness.

I'm not surprised the Wild Talent Talent failed to reach publication. It was by far the most powerful ability in the bunch. It was the perfect version of Great Weapon Fighting.

Overall, I am glad the Psionic material is being published.

Dienekes
2020-11-13, 08:31 PM

Did they say they were ditching it for all psionics? Because I only heard them mention it in reference to the Wizard Psion subclass. Which isn’t in Tasha’s I believe.

jaappleton
2020-11-13, 08:44 PM
Did they say they were ditching it for all psionics? Because I only heard them mention it in reference to the Wizard Psion subclass. Which isn’t in Tasha’s I believe.

IIRC he was referencing the Psi Die mechanic overall.

And you are correct, Psion Wizard isn’t in the book. Only Wizard subclasses are new Bladesinger and Scribes Wizard.

king_steve
2020-11-13, 10:18 PM
IIRC he was referencing the Psi Die mechanic overall.

And you are correct, Psion Wizard isn’t in the book. Only Wizard subclasses are new Bladesinger and Scribes Wizard.

I think they were referring to the way the die grew and shrank. The Psi Die are still in, just a static number per long rest.

werescythe
2020-11-13, 11:33 PM
Do you know if Aberrant Mind gets Psi Dice?

micahaphone
2020-11-14, 12:53 AM
Do you know if Aberrant Mind gets Psi Dice?

they do not.

TheMango55
2020-11-14, 01:09 AM
Sounds like there could be a lot of synergy between psi warrior and artificer, would this combo be as good as it seems? Specifically battle smith that let you dump strength and only need a bit of dex.

ZRN
2020-11-14, 02:30 AM
Sounds like there could be a lot of synergy between psi warrior and artificer, would this combo be as good as it seems? Specifically battle smith that let you dump strength and only need a bit of dex.

Honestly both psi knight and the psionic rogue (soulblade?) look great for multiclassing, since they keep getting more dice with character level (since it’s tied to proficiency bonus).

Unoriginal
2020-11-14, 06:25 AM
Does the Psi Warrior get options to increase their AC?

Amnestic
2020-11-14, 06:32 AM
I think they were referring to the way the die grew and shrank. The Psi Die are still in, just a static number per long rest.

That's kind of a shame, I liked the growing/shrinking stuff. It felt unique, but I'm not too surprised it got removed.

The Tasha's Psi Warrior sounds neat though, either way.

jaappleton
2020-11-14, 07:24 AM
Does the Psi Warrior get options to increase their AC?

No.... and yes. The Protective Field can impact the Psi Warrior, but it only reduces damage. Does not increase AC.

Bulwark of Force at level 15 let’s you give creatures, which can include yourself, half cover for a minute.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-11-14, 09:04 AM
Oh, boo. That's so much less interesting.

ZRN
2020-11-14, 11:26 AM
Oh, boo. That's so much less interesting.

But on the upside, all the more powerful abilities that used to automatically reduce your psi die one size now cost the same as everything else.

Add 1dX+Int damage to a hit (and make the enemy save or get tossed around)? 1 die. Reaction to reduce damage on an ally by 1dX+Int? Same. Weird dampening field thingy to give allies partial cover? 1 die. Cast friggin’ Telekinesis? 1 die. (And yes, that means a level 17 PK can cast telekinesis, a fifth leve spell, 14 times a day + once per short rest.)

Amechra
2020-11-14, 11:54 AM
But on the upside, all the more powerful abilities that used to automatically reduce your psi die one size now cost the same as everything else.

Add 1dX+Int damage to a hit (and make the enemy save or get tossed around)? 1 die. Reaction to reduce damage on an ally by 1dX+Int? Same. Weird dampening field thingy to give allies partial cover? 1 die. Cast friggin’ Telekinesis? 1 die. (And yes, that means a level 17 PK can cast telekinesis, a fifth leve spell, 14 times a day + once per short rest.)

That just makes it sound like the UA version was the more balanced version.

werescythe
2020-11-14, 12:30 PM
they do not.

That's a shame, I was kind of hoping they would kind of combine the Psi Dice aspect of the Psionic Soul Sorcerer with the eldritch nature of the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer. Oh, well.

Psi Knight still sounds fun though. I really like the idea of having a fighter that is an telekintetic acceleration cannon.

ZRN
2020-11-14, 12:31 PM
That just makes it sound like the UA version was the more balanced version.

Obviously not having extensively play tested it, I don’t think this change is unbalancing. If anything it’s a necessary fix: using the spell telekinesis at 17th level is fun, but is it fun enough to be worth taking -1 to damage and saving throws (via that insanely overpowered feat)? Because that was essentially what you were doing by reducing your die size.

Segev
2020-11-14, 01:09 PM

I can’t tell from this: is telepathy the same as the Great Old One’s Awakened Mind?

cutlery
2020-11-14, 01:14 PM
I can’t tell from this: is telepathy the same as the Great Old One’s Awakened Mind?

No, for one thing you need not share a language for Awakened Mind.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-11-14, 01:45 PM

The forced die size reduction wasn't a great mechanism, but I quite liked the changing size. That was a fun quirky bit that helped make psionics feel a little different. I just balanced around the idea that you'd always have a psi die of the starting size--getting bigger and smaller should roughly cancel out, and I added a cheap way to regain it.

Citadel97501
2020-11-17, 07:48 PM

Technically this is at level 18 now, but your point holds.

Silpharon
2020-11-18, 01:43 AM

I'm looking to go this combo. Artificer 15/Psi Warrior 3/Knowledge Cleric 1/Genie Warlock 1. I'm not decided yet between Armorer and Battle Smith.

I'm sharing healing for my party with a paladin. With this combo I've got:

1) Cure wounds, Healing Word, Shield of Faith, and Revivify
2) SSI to hold 10 charges of cure wounds
3) Flash of Genius to add +5 to a saving throw for someone I can see
4) Psi Warrior's Protective Field to reduce damage of 8.5 avg from an attack on someone I can see
5) If I go Battle Smith, 4d6 healing for someone near one of my attacks.
6) A homunculus servant to cast long range upcasted cure wounds.

I really wanted goodberry too, but it didn't fall out. I can also do significant damage as either class with attacks, haste, and other buffs.

I think the synergy is pretty good. Arcane Archer is also good for Battle Smith, but if you think 2x prof bonus is bad, try twice per short rest to use your skills...