PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this to work or creation of these magic items

denthor
2020-11-12, 07:03 PM
Edition pathfinder

1. Brew potion of animate rope at 3rd level. That way you can pour the potion on a rope and then use it as if it was cast from the Sorcerer

2. Glitter dust and deeper slumber are both spells that have both distance and area effects. Would you allow them in potion form? If in potion form would you allow them to be placed and have an archer be able to hit and destroy the vial activating the spell with the area effect? To hit a/c would be 20 to 25 I guess. A vial holds 2 to 4 ounces of liquid (59 to118 millilitres).

3.Would you allow the potion to thrown by a sling to an area a/c 15. Saving throw for the glass vial. If it breaks the area affect goes off?

4. Necklace of fireballs is a thing. Based on that would you allow necklace of deeper slumber or necklace of glitter dust? Would the cost be less. Not a druid but necklace of faire fire?

Duff
2020-11-12, 08:09 PM
1- Yes. But I'm pretty casual about balance and happy to diverge from RAW
2 - Slumber would make the drinker sleep. Glitterdust would be a powder which could be thrown or dropped into an area (I'd just call is a "vial of glitterdust" - I'd probably also say it's at least partly alchemical)
3 - I'd say no.
4 - Probably. Cost partly based on spell level and partly on the caster level

denthor
2020-11-12, 08:16 PM
1- Yes. But I'm pretty casual about balance and happy to diverge from RAW
2 - Slumber would make the drinker sleep. Glitterdust would be a powder which could be thrown or dropped into an area (I'd just call is a "vial of glitterdust" - I'd probably also say it's at least partly alchemical)
3 - I'd say no.
4 - Probably. Cost partly based on spell level and partly on the caster level

What your talking about in 2 would be dust of appearance. Which is the magic item I am basing this on for the glitter dust vial(potion) .

For the deeper slumber if I understand you. Put it on say a steak then feed it to an animal or person. They make the saving throw.

Saintheart
2020-11-12, 11:16 PM
1. Brew potion of animate rope at 3rd level. That way you can pour the potion on a rope and then use it as if it was cast from the Sorcerer

2. Glitter dust and deeper slumber are both spells that have both distance and area effects. Would you allow them in potion form? If in potion form would you allow them to be placed and have an archer be able to hit and destroy the vial activating the spell with the area effect? To hit a/c would be 20 to 25 I guess. A vial holds 2 to 4 ounces of liquid (59 to118 millilitres).

3.Would you allow the potion to thrown by a sling to an area a/c 15. Saving throw for the glass vial. If it breaks the area affect goes off?

4. Necklace of fireballs is a thing. Based on that would you allow necklace of deeper slumber or necklace of glitter dust? Would the cost be less. Not a druid but necklace of faire fire?

As a preliminary: what edition of D&D are you talking about? That markedly influences how a thing can be made.

Speaking out of 3.5:

There's an amusing difference between the description of a Magic Potion and the Brew Potion feat. A magic potion can duplicate the effect of any 3rd level spell or lower with a casting time of less than 1 minute. However, Brew Potion only allows you to create any potion from a 3rd level spell you know "that targets 1 or more creatures." So as a DM you can by RAW throw magic potions at the party, but that doesn't mean their feats will allow them to replicate those potions themselves.

1. Yeah, I'd allow this, mainly because Oil of Magic Weapon is a thing. Oils are like potions in pretty much all respects except that the oil is applied externally and the potion is drunk. Call it an Oil of Animate Rope at CL 3 and done.

2. Deep Slumber by RAW can go in a potion you create because it targets one or more creatures. Glitterdust, no by RAW. But given Glitterdust provides an area effect it's not like you've got the advantage of shifting the object around. I'd allow an archer to shoot the potion vial and set it off, but that's because it's just fun to do it and assuming your players don't then take that in unintended directions. The AC I'd set at 18: 10 +8 [Fine object size bonus]. It might be a small target, but it's likely it'll be within about 30 feet or so, isn't moving, and archers are not incompetent with a bow. Put it this way, to hit a five foot square is AC 5, it's not meant to be that hard to hit immobile objects.

3. For this one, look up the Gnomish Calculus. This is what it's meant to do. Hitting a five foot square is AC 5.

4. Necklace of different spell is a custom item, not touching that at this point. As it is given potion vials weigh like 1 oz, you might as well just have them in a potion bandolier and pull each as a standard action.

Alcore
2020-11-12, 11:38 PM
1. Yes... but only the maker of the potion gets control. If they don't witness it they might not notice in time to use it.

2. Yes and no... if you don't mind affecting one target then sure. Animate rope had the potion (and all of it) applied to target. You don't always have that luxury.

3. Yes for any potion. Note that it is still an improvised projectile and beneficial potions will harm friendlies first before effect. Still single target.

4. Sure. Are we talking charges or is wearer the target?

denthor
2020-11-13, 12:26 AM
1. Yes... but only the maker of the potion gets control. If they don't witness it they might not notice in time to use it.

2. Yes and no... if you don't mind affecting one target then sure. Animate rope had the potion (and all of it) applied to target. You don't always have that luxury.

3. Yes for any potion. Note that it is still an improvised projectile and beneficial potions will harm friendlies first before effect. Still single target.

4. Sure. Are we talking charges or is wearer the target?

Pathfinder is the edition

On #4 necklace of fireballs looks like a silver necklace with small silver beads attached as an action the wearer of the necklace can detach one of the beads per round. This becomes the small projectile of the fireball. The wear then must throw the bead this causes the projectile to go to the target or impact with something at which point it blossomed into a fireball. There where something like 10 when created the largest one of which was 8d6 , the rest with different sizes and descending down to 5d6. I want deeper slumber which only targets 10 levels or glitter dust that show invisible targets.

Question on the use rope potion. If the maker sells the potion he can not be there during use. I cast it as a known spell I am also the creator. So my fighter could not use this on a rope to climb up a cliff or entangle an opponent. So putting in a potion form would be a waste in your eyes.

Alcore
2020-11-13, 01:43 AM
Pathfinder is the edition a fine edition... and my preferred DnD variant. The alchemist class, as i recall for my materials are not on me, has a feature that allows one potion to be multiple doses. If i do recall right potions made by him would make 2 and 3 a resounding yes as written.

On #4 necklace of fireballs looks ... [sip] ... I want deeper slumber which only targets 10 levels or glitter dust that show invisible targets.terms and conditions as they presently are, present no trouble. Pricing is the only variable here.

Question on the use rope potion. If the maker sells the potion he can not be there during use.correct, it would be a waste.

I cast it as a known spell I am also the creator.fun fact; the brewer does not need to be the caster in pathfinder. So your fighter could cast it as a spell like ability and aid the brewer by providing the spell. Your spell; which would not be a waste. As it is your energy...

So my fighter could not use this on a rope to climb up a cliff or entangle an opponent. So putting in a potion form would be a waste in your eyes.
Generally... yes

Most of this seems to fall under rule of cool...

Misereor
2020-11-13, 05:31 AM
Edition pathfinder

1. That would be an Oil of animate rope (still Brew Potion feat), so yes.

2. Yes, but the Deeper Slumber potion simply makes the imbiber go to sleep. The Glitter Dust Oil effect is applied to the target it is rubbed on, rather than exploding into an area of effect.

3. I would make it AC 5, with 10 foot range increments, and I would only allow it for spells I deemed volatile (like Fireiball). I would retroactively consider the methodology you suggest the basis of the later Alchemist class, and make sure to mess with the players from time to time, if they do something particularly stupid like get into a wrestling match with one of these potions hanging from their belt.

4. Pretty sure that would follow standard magic item creation rules, adjusted for spell levels etc.

Mastikator
2020-11-13, 06:08 AM
Using a sling to throw a bottle would count as an improvised weapon, you get the range of the sling though. How does it work in pathfinder, if you're not proficient it incurs a -4?

Jay R
2020-11-13, 09:10 AM

This does not work like a regular potion, so it would require some wizard to research it carefully. Once somebody successfully completed the research, I would allow it. That would take time and money, but if they succeed, they would know how to make a magic item nobody else could make.

But the item doesn't particularly impress me. A one-time animated rope isn't a big enough deal to build an item for.

A glass container of glitterdust is a very good idea. The visual appeals to me. [I picture is as a round, sparkly Christmas tree ornament.] But it's a one-time use wondrous item, not a potion, and I wouldn't price it as a potion. I would look at one-time-use wondrous items and try to come up with a reasonable price.

A glass container of deeper slumber doesn't have the same visual appeal. The player would have to convince me. But I'd certainly be willing to listen.

In both cases, it's a new idea that the PC would have to research. [But I might give the glitterdust bauble out as a magic item the next time I'm a DM.]

Certainly a glass container can be destroyed by an arrow or a stone. Note that splash effect for a potion would be no more than 5 feet, but a wondrous item would be designed to spread out further. A really fun tactic would be for an archer with a held action to aim at the glass vial in the thrower's hand before it is thrown. If he hits it, then the area effect goes off at that moment, centered on the thrower.

If the glass jar exists at all, it can certainly be thrown. It would break as automatically as a container of acid or alchemist's fire, and for the same reason.

Again, it isn't automatic. New magic items need to be researched. But there's no clear reason to disallow them.